mebhs15

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2004
65
0
I just got news that my third choice school is offering me a full scholarship. I am very excited of course, but I am hoping that the other two schools can come up with money to help me. I would love to go to Wake Forest, my first choice, but I am unsure whether or not we can call and try to bargain (read beg) with them to get more money. Should I call them and tell them the situation, and what should I say?
 

antissa

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
111
0
34
Toronto, Canada
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
mebhs15 said:
I just got news that my third choice school is offering me a full scholarship. I am very excited of course, but I am hoping that the other two schools can come up with money to help me. I would love to go to Wake Forest, my first choice, but I am unsure whether or not we can call and try to bargain (read beg) with them to get more money. Should I call them and tell them the situation, and what should I say?
Wow! Congrats, that's amazing
If I were you, I'd call them because with a scholarship in my back pocket, I'd have the confidence to be a little more aggressive
...UNLESS you'd still pick one of those first 2 choices over the sugar daddy, even if they don't give you the money :cool:
 

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
3,068
42
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
mebhs15 said:
I just got news that my third choice school is offering me a full scholarship. I am very excited of course, but I am hoping that the other two schools can come up with money to help me. I would love to go to Wake Forest, my first choice, but I am unsure whether or not we can call and try to bargain (read beg) with them to get more money. Should I call them and tell them the situation, and what should I say?

I think I would write or call and explain my situation to them. I would make sure that I would emphasize that they are my number one choice, but a full scholarship is really hard to overlook, and you were wondering how they would be able to help you out financially. I am sure they will understand.

Good luck... i'm jealous of your situation! :D
 

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
798
1
Status
mebhs15 said:
I just got news that my third choice school is offering me a full scholarship. I am very excited of course, but I am hoping that the other two schools can come up with money to help me. I would love to go to Wake Forest, my first choice, but I am unsure whether or not we can call and try to bargain (read beg) with them to get more money. Should I call them and tell them the situation, and what should I say?
Proceed with absolute caution. I am assuming you have gotten into Wake, yes? If so, I'd request a meeting with the dean of admissions, and then very carefully explain your situation. You need to make them realize that they (Wake) are your absolute choice, and you want them to know you would absolutely drop this other school should they be able to make it more financially reasonable to attend Wake. Don't come off as saying, school A gave me this much, how much are you willing to shell? Instead, make it into a situation in which you have to make a fiscally responsible decision.

Congratulations and good luck.
 

DrThom

Thundercat
15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2003
1,160
8
36
Using sight beyond sight...
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
mebhs15 said:
I just got news that my third choice school is offering me a full scholarship. I am very excited of course, but I am hoping that the other two schools can come up with money to help me. I would love to go to Wake Forest, my first choice, but I am unsure whether or not we can call and try to bargain (read beg) with them to get more money. Should I call them and tell them the situation, and what should I say?
Did you already get your packet from Wake??
 

Ross434

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
932
2
Visit site
Status
Pharmacy Student
GuyLaroche said:
Proceed with absolute caution. I am assuming you have gotten into Wake, yes? If so, I'd request a meeting with the dean of admissions, and then very carefully explain your situation. You need to make them realize that they (Wake) are your absolute choice, and you want them to know you would absolutely drop this other school should they be able to make it more financially reasonable to attend Wake. Don't come off as saying, school A gave me this much, how much are you willing to shell? Instead, make it into a situation in which you have to make a fiscally responsible decision.

Congratulations and good luck.
I dont think the OP needs to con the schools. I mean, when you're dealing with the numbers people in finaid, they're all about doing whatever it takes and plain and simple -"getting down to business". Just call them up and be like, hey, school x offered me a huge scholarship, but i wanted to attend your school, can you do anything for me? This is how it worked in undergrad, at least. I dont think you need to give them any big scheme.
 
OP
M

mebhs15

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2004
65
0
I have not gottne a packet from Wake because my papers are in the mail right now. Should I wait a while for them to process and offer me something or should I call now before they have processed everything?

Dr. Thom, have you gotten a packet?
 

DrThom

Thundercat
15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2003
1,160
8
36
Using sight beyond sight...
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
mebhs15 said:
I have not gottne a packet from Wake because my papers are in the mail right now. Should I wait a while for them to process and offer me something or should I call now before they have processed everything?

Dr. Thom, have you gotten a packet?
*sigh*, not yet.

The PROFILE site said they don't even start handing awards out until May 1st. I don't think this sounds right cause that is when you have to decide if you are going to Wake or not. My financial aid award is going to play a part in that decision.