jackson123

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2007
Status
is it acceptable and/or common practice to ask a school to match the financial aid offer of a second school? I face this dilemma currently.

Lshapley

Old Man Med Student
10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Portland
Status
Medical Student
I believe it depends on the school. Do some searching on the financial aid forum for the school names, or comb through the previous class threads, and maybe you'll find something.

10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm curious too. I had one dean of admissions say that if I got accepted to another school to let them know so they could get in a "bidding war" over me. However, this was before I was accepted so I think he just meant I would get an acceptance if I got into the other school. Not sure though...

HumidBeing

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2007
Keeping Warm
Status
I think a more polite way would be to let them know that cost is one of your major considerations in your decision about which school to attend, and inform them of the aid offer from the other school. They will understand what you are saying and may decide to match it or do better depending on how much they want you and the overall availability of aid at their school.

It's acceptable. Just do it tactfully.

Monica Lewinsky

10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Its hard to say since cost of living will always be different between cities That is a time where a "better aid package" might actually end up being the same thing. In general, you aren't going to get more grant money this way, but institutional loans might be more available.

I'd say go for it. Don't go in with much expectations either.

prettymonkey

10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
what is a normal amount of fnancial aid to get? most schools say your budget is like $60,000. what do they usually give you in grants/fin aid? $5,000? $10,000? $20,000?? is there a big range?

HumidBeing

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2007
Keeping Warm
Status