barrett's esophagus metaplasia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would Barretts be described as Columnar metaplasia, or squamos metaplasia?

I know that the strat squamous is replaced by simple columnar , but how is the terminology used?

Members don't see this ad.

dinesh said:
Would Barretts be described as Columnar metaplasia, or squamos metaplasia?

I know that the strat squamous is replaced by simple columnar , but how is the terminology used?

Pocket Robbins (6th Ed., pg 400), says "Barrett esophagus refers to the replacement of the distal esophageal squamous epithelium by a metaplastic columnar epithelium, in response to prolonged injury."

I know it doesn't really answer the question, but I think the use of metaplasia by definition (because it is replacement of one tissue type by another) requires description of using two tissue types. So your answer would be, "squamous to columnar metaplasia" or "metaplasia of squamous by columnar." I would doubt that you'll see it using one of the examples you provided (i.e. on exams, boards, texts).

A MCQ block exam past paper had the choices as
Columnar Metaplasia
Squamos Metaplasia

So I really wasn't sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say Barretts oesophagus is columnar metaplasia. it just seems to make sense to me that the thing it is changing to is the name but that's just a gut feeling. Wouldn't worry about it though

Yeah, definitely columnar metaplasia. The other thing you will hear is intestinal metaplasia. The cells in the esophagus now resemble cells now resemble cells from the intestine.

metaplasia's named by whatever the new cell-type is. whether it's squamous metaplasia of respiratory tissue, apocrine metaplasia of breast ducts, or the columnar metaplasia everyone just mentioned.

GtownCobra said:
this is total minutia

when u get a board question requiring this info, just write to them complaining about including pathology minutia on the test.

Thanks guys.
I was a bit confused with regard to the terminology.

Rendar5 said:
when u get a board question requiring this info, just write to them complaining about including pathology minutia on the test.

i already took step 1.... i don't remember seeing this crap