Barriers for IMGs to stay in Australia???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markdc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am doing a 3rd year assignment regarding retaining and recruiting doctors in QLD. I wanted to know what people perceive as the largest barriers to staying in Australia after graduation. Here are the ones I have thought of so far. Please add any that you think are relevant.

1. Work visa restrictions (possibly limited to shortage areas etc)
2. Financial restraints (full fee debts + 10 year moratorium)
3. Intern ballot position (very likely to get a rural intern spot)
4. Training time (compared to NA - extra years of interning etc)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
I will be attending USyd MP starting in Feb and I have done a little bit of research about the prospect of practicing in Australia but have heard a lot of "suspect" claims and evidence regarding this. I would love to give you my informed opinion but I am not informed in the matter!!! Can you please clarify the points that you have made. I know going into medicine that the prospects of practicing in Australia may be limited and from what I understand it is possible. Can you enlighten me (us) on our possible futures as IMGs in Australia? Thanks!!!:thumbup:

1. Work visa restrictions (possibly limited to shortage areas etc)

Seems self - evident. If you are not an Australian citizen and want to stay and practice medicine, your Permanent Res status or work visa will likely have the restriction that you will be required to go to a shortage area which could be the middle of nowhere or you may get lucky and get somewhere on the coast (as long as it is an area of need).

2. Financial restraints (full fee debts + 10 year moratorium)

10 year moratorium is with regards to getting a billing # (provider #)
It means that you can't really work in private practice until 10 years post grad

3. Intern ballot position (very likely to get a rural intern spot)

This is about QLD but the other states are likely similar in that international students will get close to the last choice on interning spots.

4. Training time (compared to NA - extra years of interning etc)

Most specialties here require you to float around for a few years (essentially doing what an intern does for 2-3 years) as opposed to the US and Canada where most students get into (or miss out) a training position right after grad. (Thus a shorter period of time from graduation to licence)

I would look up all of the above and not take my word for any of this. As of now most of this is valid and can be verified but who knows what could change in the near future.

If anyone can think of something that I have missed then please add it! Also if you are aware of any incentives for us to stay then let us all know!

Thanks for the info...
These are all of the problems that I have heard in getting liscenced/practicing etc. I think that where there is a will there is a way and have also heard stories of my friend's cousin's friend (example)who got an intern spot in sydney so I guess you are right we have to wait and see how it goes. I think that the 10year moratorium is the biggest barrier b/c with the fees as high as they are it would be financially difficult to get an intern's salary for 10 years with a debt load of "lots". It is fairly daunting to have that much tuiton in the near future and no set and "easy" pathway to a job.
Cheers