Barron/Kaplan/Topscore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureNSXDent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have taken the real DAT and have exposed to either Kaplan's subject test, Barron's 2 practice exam, or Topscore, which one do you think most accurately reflect the actual DAT questions in terms of difficulty level? I thought the Barron's math/science questions were much easier than Kaplan's subject test, but Barron's reading is much harder, any take on this? Thanks.

NSXDent

Members don't see this ad.

I used all 3:

1) Barron's - good for Math section. Questions may be easy, but they have good explanation for the different types of math questions.

2) Kaplan - Bio and PAT was easier than the real thing. Math was harder in my opinion. Everything else was pretty much the same.

3) Topscore - All around, the most difficult questions. From what I remember (took it last summer), I would pay attention mostly to Topscores bio section. Kaplan's was good, but Topscore has some questions that might seem obscure if you are used to Kaplan tests. They may seem obscure whewn taking Topscore, but I know that it helped me in 1-2 questions on the real thing.

I think that the topscore Biology, Math, and reading are somewhat similar to the real thing. The reading is a bit harder on the real DAt, but it is no where near the difficulty of Barrons! Topscore reading takes passages word for word as the answer. On the DAT, I had many questions saying, "what can you infer from this passage, etc." The math in Barrons is too easy to compare. But it still does provide you good practice. The PAT on the real thing is harder than any book or CD. The Ochem and GChem is more like the Kaplan CD and Barrons. It is easier than topscore. I was scoring 13s on Ochem and GChem Topscore, but on the real thing I got a 16 GChem and 20 Ochem....

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought Kaplan and Barron's were deficient in Biology. I've never seen a book that accurately covers what's on the DAT.

Math was vague in Kaplan. Don't remember much about Topscore........actually didn't use it that much.

Thanks for the input guyz. I have heard from my friend and many others that the Barron's math section is comprehensive in that they cover most types of questions on the actual exam. And yes, everyone have said that the PAT section is much harder than any practice, especially the angle discrimination section, with long resolution and all. Any advice on studying the math section? Did you guyz have many combination/permutation problems? Thanks!

NSXDent

I think that the princeton is good for Natural Sciences and Math. Reading is okay, but the real PAT is by far harder than anything available out there so just prepare yourself mentally for it.
Especially the princeton g-chem, just so close to the test. I think that princeton bio is good also. Princeton ochem is hard, but it makes you study after all.
I tried both kaplan and princeton. After Princeton, my score jumped up so high, so I guess that Princeton is great. They also have a series of three paper and pencil tests #592, 593 and 594 come with complete solution. They are great as well.
I didn't try Baron so I don't know.
Best of luck with your studying,
Tink

doesn't the DAT have a sample test we can get somehow?

There is one official DAT test that is currently released by the dat people. There are also 4 older tests released years ago but no longer available. Of course you can try to buy them. I like those 4 old tests and the official DAT the best. Because they are just so close to the real thing. Especially the Natural Sciences. Which is not very surprise. Because they are made by the same people
T

where do i go to find/who do i contact to get the official released DAT?
dragonj

The official DAT comes with the booklet to register for the test. Just call them and request for a test booklet. Or better yet, health advising office always has those.
The old ones you have to buy, and it's soooooo expensive. I paid for it, and it's money well spent. I thank God that I bought those 4 old tatter tests. They look so improper for a test but the info inside is excellent.
T