Barron's is truly lousy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zut212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
their exams are very easy as well. i made a 33 on their exams, using the scaled scores that kaplan provides. on kaplan, however, i make 26. :(

Given that my score on kaplan is 8v, 8b, and 10p, what do you think this would translate to for the actual?

Members don't see this ad.

i personally wouldn't take another test companies scale and apply it to a different test comp. It just doesn't translate that well ( each test company has their own scale that's catered to their tests not another company )
I'm personally not familiar with Barrons tests. Simply I don't rely on Barron because the consensus for practice tests on SDN and from my friends is that practice tests from Kaplan, Princeton, Berkley, AAMC, Gold Standard have more merit. But that's just me.

I would suggest that you'd get extra tests from the companies I've listed but most importantly get some AAMC tests and see how well you do.

Sometimes tests practice test dont relate to the real test because of situational circumstances. On test day you might have a rush of adrenaline which might give you an edge on the test.. or you might be too nervous to do well. Perhaps the material persented to you on test day is all the stuff you're familiar with and you might get lucky.

Best of luck studying

their exams are very easy as well. i made a 33 on their exams, using the scaled scores that kaplan provides. on kaplan, however, i make 26. :(

Given that my score on kaplan is 8v, 8b, and 10p, what do you think this would translate to for the actual?

My friend.Throw that thing in the trash. Kaplan or EK is your best bet. The thing is that Barrons' format doesnt resemble the true MCAT format at all. The MCAT passages are at least 45% longer on the real thing. Trust me, I learned the hard way. After using it for 2 months and taking a practice I bombed because I wasnt used to the true format (AAMC practice). I would stick to the AAMC's and EK or Kaplan. They are much better. After doing so I went from a 25 to a 36 because its a reading exam, not a content based one. This happened in three weeks. Barrons is all about content.Boo barrons:thumbdown:. Dont be discouraged by Barrons' lousy preperation. Just shell out the few extra bucks for a kaplan or EK book. I know Barnes always sells those dang things but other bookstores usually have more variety (like Borders).