1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

barron's ratings of colleges

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Gumshoe, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member
    10+ Year Member

I remember some person posting that the schools went by the competitivity rank by Barron's to accurately judge GPA. Can someone list these numbers for say the top 25 schools please? Specifically vanderbilt, northwestern, notre dame, tulane, and Michigan is what I'm looking for --->

Thanks,

Gumshoe:rolleyes:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member
    10+ Year Member

I guess no one knows ... darn ...

GPA still an enigma ... who decides which witch is which?

Gumshoe

4. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Most, if not all, medical schools know the standards at the undergrad schools they commonly draw applicants from. It is usually only in cases of applicants from smaller, less well known colleges, for which they have no useful track record, that they may resort to Barron's.

5. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

is this what you're talking about? Barron's

6. BananaSplit

BananaSplit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I hope that's not the chart they're using.

Alrighty, what exactly is competitivity? How hard it was to get into the undergrad school? How hard it is to get an A in undergrad classes?

This chart seems to be more about the kinds of high school students colleges take in rather then the educational
    environment at the undergrad school.

Personally, I think it should be a little of both. For example, your GPA gets multiplied by this competitivity factor (multiply by >1 if your school is prestigious/challenging/hard to get into/whatever they say makes a good school and then multiply by <1 if your school has rampant grade inflation). Does this make sense?

BananaSplit

7. nidaqadir

nidaqadir New Member

I don't know how accurate that is, to use competitivity ranks to gage GPA. A lot of very competitive, big name schools have major grade inflation, and I think that admissions officers are pretty aware of that. Doesn't the average Harvard undergrad have a 3.8 GPA or something like that? (No offense to Harvard kids)