barron's ratings of colleges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gumshoe

LARGE Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember some person posting that the schools went by the competitivity rank by Barron's to accurately judge GPA. Can someone list these numbers for say the top 25 schools please? Specifically vanderbilt, northwestern, notre dame, tulane, and Michigan is what I'm looking for --->

Thanks,

Gumshoe:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I guess no one knows ... darn ...

GPA still an enigma ... who decides which witch is which?

Gumshoe

Most, if not all, medical schools know the standards at the undergrad schools they commonly draw applicants from. It is usually only in cases of applicants from smaller, less well known colleges, for which they have no useful track record, that they may resort to Barron's.

Members don't see this ad :)
is this what you're talking about? Barron's

I hope that's not the chart they're using.

Alrighty, what exactly is competitivity? How hard it was to get into the undergrad school? How hard it is to get an A in undergrad classes?

This chart seems to be more about the kinds of high school students colleges take in rather then the educational
environment at the undergrad school.

Personally, I think it should be a little of both. For example, your GPA gets multiplied by this competitivity factor (multiply by >1 if your school is prestigious/challenging/hard to get into/whatever they say makes a good school and then multiply by <1 if your school has rampant grade inflation). Does this make sense?

BananaSplit

I don't know how accurate that is, to use competitivity ranks to gage GPA. A lot of very competitive, big name schools have major grade inflation, and I think that admissions officers are pretty aware of that. Doesn't the average Harvard undergrad have a 3.8 GPA or something like that? (No offense to Harvard kids)