barry, nycpm surgical residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IPODiatrist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i tried looking for something about this but i didnt find anything.

my first question concerns podiatry residencies, are all of them more or less the same? what i mean to say is, do some of them already have a focus on say.....diabetic wound care? or does that come later. are the PM/S 24/36 residencies all the same in nature of study or do some have more a specific surgery component (pediatric foot surgery)??

do all the residencies have a surgery component? i have a brochure that that says some DPMs do a one year residency. i looked online and couldn't find much on this. so this that in primary care? i went to some of the pod school websites, and couldn't find any information to clarify this.

my second question concerns schools as well as residencies. if i should choose to say attend Barry university, i have read on this site that it's not the "best" school-- but i am still drawn on to it due to location. what i wish to know if that if i do choose to attend Barry ---- how does the school you attend play into a podiatric graduate being able to gain a pm/s 36 residency? do graduates from lower end schools have the same opportunity in gaining a PM/S 36 spot? how does obtaining a residency work?

those 2 questions were in reality a lot of questions.:rolleyes:
thanks in advance for any answers!

Members don't see this ad.

i tried looking for something about this but i didnt find anything.

my first question concerns podiatry residencies, are all of them more or less the same? what i mean to say is, do some of them already have a focus on say.....diabetic wound care? or does that come later. are the PM/S 24/36 residencies all the same in nature of study or do some have more a specific surgery component (pediatric foot surgery)??

do all the residencies have a surgery component? i have a brochure that that says some DPMs do a one year residency. i looked online and couldn't find much on this. so this that in primary care? i went to some of the pod school websites, and couldn't find any information to clarify this.

my second question concerns schools as well as residencies. if i should choose to say attend Barry university, i have read on this site that it's not the "best" school-- but i am still drawn on to it due to location. what i wish to know if that if i do choose to attend Barry ---- how does the school you attend play into a podiatric graduate being able to gain a pm/s 36 residency? do graduates from lower end schools have the same opportunity in gaining a PM/S 36 spot? how does obtaining a residency work?

those 2 questions were in reality a lot of questions.:rolleyes:
thanks in advance for any answers!

All residencies are now classified as Podiatric Medicine & Surgery (PM&S) 24 or 36 months. The majority are now 36 month. Every residency differs a bit depending on various things such as location, laws, and attendings but every program must meet certain criteria concerning forefoot, rearfoot, and reconstructive surgery. Some programs are known for their trauma, some for diabetic limb salvage, etc but you get the minimum required number of specific cases regardless of the residency. The biggest difference between doing a two and three year residency is that those who choose a two year cannot sit for rearfoot/reconstructive surgery boards. To answer your question, one year residencies are long gone.

No matter which school you attend, you can apply for any residency you want. Everybody has the same opportunity. One or two programs out there play favorites but when it comes down to it, I'd say that most every program out there is going to take the most qualified applicant. It is my opinion that some schools do a better job of preparing you for rotations and residency. But then again, if you are motivated and take your education into your own hands, that really shouldn't matter. If you are a "bare minimum" type of person, than your school does matter.

To apply for a residency, you apply through CASPR (centralized application service podiatric residency) and interview with the program. Many students also do rotations with the program before interviews. That is something else to consider. How many off rotations does a school give before interviews (Dec of your 4th year).

you can find some more info at aacpm.org and search the residencies. click on where residencies are offered. then click the states and some programs have links to more info.

Like Jonwill said they all have to meet the same minimum criteria so in that sense they are all at a minimum the same. Some programs do tend to focus more on diabetic limb salvage and others on trauma and still others on private practice or orthopedic/biomechanics.

The programs that people tend to say are better is because the case load is higher and the programs are way above minimum competencies.

If you are looking to avoid surgery then you'd pick one of the programs that is more clinic and less OR.

Members don't see this ad :)
where would i find information on which schools have a lot of off-rotations before interview?

do only the upper tier schools (DMU scholl etc) have many off rotations?

how do all the schools come into play with this? in other words, how would you all rank them in terms of clinical experience??
thanks

where would i find information on which schools have a lot of off-rotations before interview?

how do all the schools come into play with this? in other words, how would you all rank them in terms of clinical experience??
thanks

When upper tier schools are discussed generally this involves statistical outcomes (i.e. board scores, acceptance rates, entrance stats, ect.)

The number of rotations is determined by how the program is structured. I believe that DMU has the most rotations available before CRIP, which is 7 and includes the month of December (which is of course the CRIP month). Scholl I believe offers 6. Most other schools offer 4 to 6 rotations total.

Clinical experience is greatly varied. Some schools have larger clinics, some schools offer more rotations. I would suggest tracking clinical experience with number of patient encounters AKA number of patients each student sees. I do not know how each school tacks this. Maybe students from each school can discuss this.

At DMU we use a computerized system were students enter encounters with either their laptops or palms. I logged about 30 patients in the 2nd year summer; I should end the 3rd year with about 500 patients logged. I have heard that some hardworkers like Jonwill log over 400 patients in 1 month of rotations.

thanks

NYCPM...

3rd year we work in the Foot Clinics downstairs from the classrooms. There are several different podiatric rotations: Surgery, Primary Podiatric Medicine, Orthopedics, Radiology, Wound Care, Vascular, Physical therapy
Within many of these rotations you spend time at Metropolitan, Harlem and Lincoln Hospitals (and maybe some in Brooklyn) for podiatry clinic. The clinic has actually been slowing down a bit from several years ago. But at the hospitals you see tons of patients.

4th year you'll have about 4 externships (where ever you pick), a possible month at UMDNJ or West Penn for Senior Surgery (if you are in the top 20ish%), The rest of the time you are in NYC. One month for senior surgery must be spent at school in the foot clinics (2 if not going to west penn or UMDNJ). The rest of the rotations are at Metro, Harlem or Lincoln. One month of Comprehensive Hospital Rotation (CHR) which is really podiatry clinic at the hospital (same as 3rd year). One month of ER, One month of general surgery, one month of internal medicine, 2 weeks of general radiology.

The rotations that we do with the MD students you can get a lot or very little out of it. It is up to you to show up and make the attempt to learn. Many people waste this experience then complain that no one taught them anything. You are paying $26,000 for the oppurtunity not a spoon feeding.
In the podiatry friendly state of NY (sarcasm) some of the MD attendings hate pods and do little to mask this sentiment. Others treat you the same as the MD students as long as you make an attempt as well.

When upper tier schools are discussed generally this involves statistical outcomes (i.e. board scores, acceptance rates, entrance stats, ect.)

The number of rotations is determined by how the program is structured. I believe that DMU has the most rotations available before CRIP, which is 7 and includes the month of December (which is of course the CRIP month). Scholl I believe offers 6. Most other schools offer 4 to 6 rotations total.

Clinical experience is greatly varied. Some schools have larger clinics, some schools offer more rotations. I would suggest tracking clinical experience with number of patient encounters AKA number of patients each student sees. I do not know how each school tacks this. Maybe students from each school can discuss this.

At DMU we use a computerized system were students enter encounters with either their laptops or palms. I logged about 30 patients in the 2nd year summer; I should end the 3rd year with about 500 patients logged. I have heard that some hardworkers like Jonwill log over 400 patients in 1 month of rotations.

NYCPM as well has a computer to log our patient visits. We have certain minimum competencies to meet and therefore do not log all our patients except one classmate of mine logs everything.

Are we counting in-patients that we round on? Surgical patients? Clinic patients? And what about the non-pod rotations?

Anyway NYCPMers see about 500 patients a year, some more some less.

I just checked my logs... I have logged 309 patients so far this year but I have been lazy about actually logging them so I have seen way more patients than what I logged. I don't log in-patients from rounds. And I forget to in-put info all the time.

NYCPM as well has a computer to log our patient visits. We have certain minimum competencies to meet and therefore do not log all our patients except one classmate of mine logs everything.

Are we counting in-patients that we round on? Surgical patients? Clinic patients? And what about the non-pod rotations?

Anyway NYCPMers see about 500 patients a year, some more some less.

I just checked my logs... I have logged 309 patients so far this year but I have been lazy about actually logging them so I have seen way more patients than what I logged. I don't log in-patients from rounds. And I forget to in-put info all the time.

Those are clinic, surgical and non pod rotations. I have no idea what Jonwill logged, but I know that he saw about 400 patients in 1 month.

Those are clinic, surgical and non pod rotations. I have no idea what Jonwill logged, but I know that he saw about 400 patients in 1 month.

maybe that was at jacksonville where we saw at least 30 patients 3 days in a row for the 1st three hours of the day for 4 weeks. Just that alone was 30x3x4 = 360patients. So in that case I saw the same as him in that month.

Oh Jonwill.... will you back up which month you logged 400 patients?

maybe that was at jacksonville where we saw at least 30 patients 3 days in a row for the 1st three hours of the day for 4 weeks. Just that alone was 30x3x4 = 360patients. So in that case I saw the same as him in that month.

I believe it was Jacksonville. I'm not disagreeing that students see very similar numbers.

One thing that I like about DMU's format besides seeing lots of programs, you get to see lot of different methods of treatment; similar to residencies that have lots of attendings.

I believe it was Jacksonville. I'm not disagreeing that students see very similar numbers.

One thing that I like about DMU's format besides seeing lots of programs, you get to see lot of different methods of treatment; similar to residencies that have lots of attendings.

blah blah blah....

why dont we just wipe all the schools of the face of the earth except DMU. It is the only real podiatry school. All the others are fakes. Right Feelgood?:love:

Yea, I logged 400+ at U of F. I actually just checked my logs and have seen over 1600 this year.

blah blah blah....

why dont we just wipe all the schools of the face of the earth except DMU. It is the only real podiatry school. All the others are fakes. Right Feelgood?:love:

You are always reading my mind. Did you know when we graduate from DMU we have the ceremony at Grey's Lake in DM b/c all of the DMU grads can walk on water. So they save money on renting and setting up a stage.