Barry U., VCU, Dartmouth, or BU.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zebrafish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there is a lot of info already here on post-bac. A lot of the info is old or the reviews are too mixed to make a good decision. HELP! I have heard great and really bad things about VCU's post bac. At Dartmouth should I go for the MPH or MS. Healthcare Leadership? Did anyone do a MS Medical science at BU, maybe with a concentration in Oral Bio? I don't really know too much about BU except its $$$$. Recent grads any information is greatly appreciated.:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I know there is a lot of info already here on post-bac. A lot of the info is old or the reviews are too mixed to make a good decision. HELP! I have heard great and really bad things about VCU's post bac. At Dartmouth should I go for the MPH or MS. Healthcare Leadership? Did anyone do a MS Medical science at BU, maybe with a concentration in Oral Bio? I don't really know too much about BU except its $$$$. Recent grads any information is greatly appreciated.:scared:

i don't know much about BU, but my interviewer there did mention that if you do the masters in Oral Health (or something), you will sit with the dental school class during biochem, and if you attend BU the following year you don't have to retake the course.. you just audit it.. That would be one load off during your first year at BU :D

If interested i suggest you call BU and ask about the details.

I would strongly consider doing Columbia's M.S. program in Human Nutrition. I'm finishing up the program right now and it helped me get into my #1 choice. The program is 1-year and requires a research-based thesis. The program offers a well-rounded mix of both hard science and clinically oriented courses. In addition, you're allowed to register for any other courses offered by Columbia University during the fall and spring semester (Any course).

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/ihn/

Fact Sheet with a lot of helpful information:
http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/ihn/student/faq.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell you what. I'd personally skip Barry and Dartmouth because it may increase your odds if you go to a school that has a DDS program. Personally, I received my MS from VCU in Biology (conc in neuroimmunology) as a NYS resident and they ended up being my first pick for dental school too. I was accepted Dec 1 and pulled my apps from elsewhere. I loved it there. The program was great, I got a pub out of it, lots of experience and it wasn't expensive to live or attend. As a matter of fact, second year I had a full scholarship. I was told I had a good shot for it first year too but I applied too late...so if you do this, apply EARLY. I LOVED VCU. I hope my dental school experience is as good as grad school was. Best luck to you.

Tell you what. I'd personally skip Barry and Dartmouth because it may increase your odds if you go to a school that has a DDS program.

u'd skip them b/c they increase ur odds of gaining admissions to a dds program? does that make sense? u mean... it's not a sure thing? or....? i thoguht all post baccs are merely to increase ur chances.

u'd skip them b/c they increase ur odds of gaining admissions to a dds program? does that make sense? u mean... it's not a sure thing? or....? i thoguht all post baccs are merely to increase ur chances.

LOL... maybe you want to reread what I wrote. I reread it...it makes sense to me. If it still isn't clear, I'll try again here. Barry and Dartmouth don't have a DDS program. That's all I was saying. You may increase your chances of getting into BU or VCU dent if you attend grad school at BU or VCU. It's never a sure thing but it worked for me as an out of stater... I assume it had something to do with that, maybe not.

It makes sense to me.

LOL... maybe you want to reread what I wrote. I reread it...it makes sense to me. If it still isn't clear, I'll try again here. Barry and Dartmouth don't have a DDS program. That's all I was saying. You may increase your chances of getting into BU or VCU dent if you attend grad school at BU or VCU. It's never a sure thing but it worked for me as an out of stater... I assume it had something to do with that, maybe not.

oh. i keed.

Thanks to all. Your input is very helpful. Does anyone have experience with any of these programs?

an MPH from dartmouth would be sweet.

an MPH from dartmouth would be sweet.
I would be glad to go to any of the programs, but I just am not sure which ones will really help me out for the next app. cycle

I have heard the post bac at VCU is really intense. I really don't know if the MPH from Dartmouth will help because its not really composed of a ton of science courses. I haven't heard much at all about Barry. BU's program seems like its a good fit but I don't know the likelyhood of finishing it in one year.