Barry University BMS Master's Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adw14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a current student in the Biomedical Sciences Master's program at Barry University in Hollywood, Fl. I'm on the medical track and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about this program!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I got accepted to the 2 year program. Could you tell me a little more about what the med school application timeline is and what resources the school has for amcas applications? Also I see that a lot of students end up going to Caribbean schools, if you could give some insight into that, t would be great! Thanks!

Hi! I got accepted to the 2 year program. Could you tell me a little more about what the med school application timeline is and what resources the school has for amcas applications? Also I see that a lot of students end up going to Caribbean schools, if you could give some insight into that, t would be great! Thanks!

Hello,

As far as the timeline for applying is concerned, it varies by student. Students who decide to do this program in an effort to boost their science GPA, are recommend by most schools to complete at least 2 semesters in the program before they apply. So if you were to start the program this upcoming fall, the earliest it is recommended you apply to medical school would be the following summer.

As for resources to assist with applying, they have student ambassadors who host monthly meetings to answer questions and give tips on how to succeed in different courses, as well as all of the ins and outs of applying to medical school. In addition to the ambassadors, many students will also be applying so it is common to receive resources like like test prep books and other things from peers. Lastly, the faculty and staff are very knowledgeable about the process since they are here to help us matriculate into medical school, so they have been great with answering questions as well.

I'm not sure where you read "a lot of students end up going to Caribbean schools," but I've only heard of 1 student choosing to go to the Caribbean, since i've been here at barry. So I don't really have any insight on the Caribbean schools unfortunately, since most students remain in the states. Here is an updated list of schools people have been accepted to after completing this program. Where are our medical graduates now? : About the Program : Biomedical Sciences, MS : College of Nursing and Health Sciences : Barry University, Miami Shores, Florida

I hope I answered all of your questions thoroughly!

Members don't see this ad :)
@adw14 hello! Which track are you on? Do you know anyone who is in the 12 month program and I suppose what range of scores/GPAs they had to have that track chosen?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, the 12 month track is the most difficult because they take three or four classes per semester! I think they look for a 3.5 and above for the 1 year track, but there are a few exceptions. If you plan to start fall and are placed on the 18 month track; I do know people who took summer classes to complete the program in one year. They generally only allow you to expedite your track if you make only A grades the first semester. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a facebook page up yet for the upcoming fall semester? I have been looking around for awhile, but have yet to find it.
Thanks in advance!

Is there a facebook page up yet for the upcoming fall semester? I have been looking around for awhile, but have yet to find it.
Thanks in advance!

Hi Rafael! I'm currently a student at the Barry BMS program. The facebook page for the program can be found here: Sathees Chandra

If you have any other questions just let me know! :)

How can I be added to the Facebook page

What's the student success rate in gaining admission to allopathic med schools? Where do most students end up after completing the program?

What's the student success rate in gaining admission to allopathic med schools? Where do most students end up after completing the program?

As of today, 70% of the last graduating class was accepted to MD, DO, POD, PA, Optometry, Pharm. I know that 11/44 of the medical track graduates got into allopathic, and the rest were DO (many apply only DO). Not all graduates apply during the program, a lot of people take the time to re take their MCATs and then apply the following the cycle.
I know some of the allopathic schools that students have been accepted to last cycle were Univ. of Indiana, Univ. of Colorado, UNC, Univ. of Miami, Tufts, to name a few. I think the website has the full list of every medical school students have gone to or have been accepted to.

Reactions: 1 users