Barry University Master of Sciences Biomedical Sciences 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey for those of you that were accepted for Fall 2013 how long did you wait until you got your acceptance? My application was complete the first week of June and I still have not heard back :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I got admission to the Barry MS BMS program for the 18mo-2yr track. Please is there any input to tell me how classes have gone so far with the students being in this track of the program? I have heard a mix of good and bad reviews, I am a hard-working and dedicated student who is willing to do the impossible to get into med school. I am considering to go to BU for med school. Haven't taken my MCAT yet but I will be preparing for it soon. I also have gotten in the TCMC MBS program for this upcoming year. I just want to have as much information as I can have to make a good decision to go for school this year. Thank you in advanced!

I highly suggest applying for BU MAMs or another program like Georgetown's if BU is your ultimate goal.

What is your current GPA/MCAT(practice test) breakdown?

I am attending Barry's 1 year program, but I am headed towards DO schools. I know Barry has a decent record for getting kids into Dental and DO (based on past posting history), but idk about MD schools (Not sure what your goal is).

Well I have applied to BU MAMS but I didn't get in. My GPA is not a 3.0 (I like to reserve my stats since I feel a bit uncomfortable talking about it. Though I have never given up on my goal to go to MD school) and I really haven't taken an MCAT practice since I decided to put my priorities in getting better grades over my junior and senior years. I think I am already late for georgetown so I would not really know about it. Anything that can help I would really appreciate it. thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I have applied to BU MAMS but I didn't get in. My GPA is not a 3.0 (I like to reserve my stats since I feel a bit uncomfortable talking about it. Though I have never given up on my goal to go to MD school) and I really haven't taken an MCAT practice since I decided to put my priorities in getting better grades over my junior and senior years. I think I am already late for georgetown so I would not really know about it. Anything that can help I would really appreciate it. thanks :)

Most (both DO and MD) schools have a minimum cutoff GPA of at least 3.0 for both sci and cumulative. Any SMP program will not work for you since even a graduate GPA of 4.0 will not get you over most schools' automatic cutoff's.

Have you taken advantage of DO school's grade replacement? Also are you significantly below 3.0 or just at the cusp? (Big difference between the two). Grade replacement is your quickest way to DO schools and you wouldn't even need an SMP. Retake F/D/Cs and it will be like it was never there.

If MD is your goal, that would be a long shot and process since a ugradGPA below 3.0 requires you to take more undergrad advance science classes to boost your GPA high enough to get over the auto-cutoffs of most schools. Also I suggest you calculate your current sciGPA and cumGPA and see how many classes you need to take to get both above 3.0. Then from there you can apply to SMP programs.

Do you know where I can find a calculator to calculate my science GPA and also do MD look at repeated courses?

Do you know where I can find a calculator to calculate my science GPA and also do MD look at repeated courses?

Here ya go: http://gpacalculator.net/college-gpa-calculator/

Also MD schools just average repeated courses like there are any other. If you passed the class (C or greater) Than retakes won't do as much good as just taking new advance science classes to show them you can handle a rigorous courseload.

Though you will need to get nothing but A's here on out since you said your Junior and senior year grades were bad.

Thanks for your information. Also do you have an opinion on TCMC, PCOM and USF programs?

Thanks for your information. Also do you have an opinion on TCMC, PCOM and USF programs?

TCMC is a good program, but I know most people who enter the school already had decent stats when they got accepted same year within the program.

PCOM is a good program for going into DO schools.

USF IMS is the best for getting kids into USF-COM. The MSMS program doesn't really have a linkage to USF-COM and I believe that very few get an interview same year unless they already had a strong GPA/MCAT to begin with.

It comes down to what you get on your MCAT. Are you applying this cycle or next?

I am applying next cycle since I know for most of the programs they said their curriculum is intense and I want to focus on getting the best grades and have an strong MCAT score along with my extracurricular activities.

I am applying next cycle since I know for most of the programs they said their curriculum is intense and I want to focus on getting the best grades and have an strong MCAT score along with my extracurricular activities.

Sounds like a good idea. Definitely shoot for 35+ in your case and 30+ for DO schools to help somewhat balance your low GPA.

A word of caution, an SMP is a great last chance at getting into medical school, but your undergrad GPA will always be heavily factored into your application and SMP will not change that.

Good luck.

A word of caution, an SMP is a great last chance at getting into medical school, but your undergrad GPA will always be heavily factored into your application and SMP will not change that.

Good luck.

What do you mean by this last phrase? I am really sorry to not understand but I really appreciate your help by the way! :)

What do you mean by this last phrase? I am really sorry to not understand but I really appreciate your help by the way! :)

Well you should research here more, but basically in AMCAs your undergradGPA is different from your GradGPA. uGrad GPA is weighed more heavily than GradGPA. Below a 3.0 (and you won't give specifics, so I can't help you) puts you at a disadvantage (especially in applying to MD). Even pulling out a 4.0 both semesters (or 4 semesters) in an SMP will not change that ugrad GPA unless you take more undergrad courses first before starting an SMP.

Most SMPs that get people into med school have a minimum GPA of 3.0 because most medical schools will not even look at your application unless you have a 3.0 undergrad GPA. There are exceptions of course, but they aren't the norm.

Okay I think I can make an exception in this case. My cGPA was a 2.96. I was really close to get that 3.0 that's why is so frustrating :'(

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay I think I can make an exception in this case. My cGPA was a 2.96.

Barry may also put a provision on your acceptance asking that you retake a basic science course if you did badly in it. You might consider that anyway for the summer, that would help with both DO and getting over the 3.0 barrier.

Barry did provisionally accepted me for those reasons: to either take my MCAT or retake my GRE, but I don't recall to retake a one of my pre-req classes.

Is Barry still accepting students for their Fall 2013 Masters in BMS class?

I spoke with an admission counselor today and she said that there are a few spots still open but if you do apply today you will most like like be place in the Spring 2014 class. I applied to Barry approximately a month and a half ago and there was a problem with my application, we corrected the problem but I will most likely enter the program (if I get accepted) in the Spring because of it.

Do you guys know if its possible to switch from the 18mo/2year track to the 1 year track?

Yes, admissions told me its possible to switch back and forth between the options.

Hey for those of you that were accepted for Fall 2013 how long did you wait until you got your acceptance? My application was complete the first week of June and I still have not heard back :(

I had to email an admissions counselor in order to get an update on my application. It turned out that they had misplaced my transcripts; I would try emailing them about an update on your application. .

Hi! I'm starting the 18 month BMS program at Barry this Fall 2013 and am looking for someone to split an apartment with. I am female from California and don't know much about Miami or the surrounding area. Everywhere I've looked so far is way out of my price range if I have to swing it on my own. Please let me know! I'm driving across the country in mid-August to get there, and would like to not be homeless when I arrive. :) Thanks!

Hey guys, sorry to revive an old thread but for those that are currently in or who have completed the program, did it help you get in to professional schools? I'm a pre-dent, so I'm more interested in knowing if it helped you get into dental schools (and where?). Were all the classes at the Hollywood campus or were some at the Miami Shores campus? How helpful were the professors and were they willing to write letters of recommendation? Thanks!