Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pod student 2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to those who have been accepted at Barry!!!

I am currently a first year student at BUSPM. If anyone has any questions about the program/courses/books/etc.., please feel free to message me.

I have listed some basic info below for those who may need it, or for anyone wishing to contact Barry for more info.

BUSPM:
http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/BUSPM-CIB-pgs-58-61.pdf

http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf (page 58 for Barry)

Admissions Coordinator: Isabel Ruiz ( [email protected] 305-899-3123 ) **She is extremely busy so don't worry if you don't hear immediately back from her.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to those who have been accepted at Barry!!!

I am currently a first year student at BUSPM. If anyone has any questions about the program/courses/books/etc.., please feel free to message me.

I have listed some basic info below for those who may need it, or for anyone wishing to contact Barry for more info.

BUSPM:
http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/BUSPM-CIB-pgs-58-61.pdf

http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf (page 58 for Barry)

Admissions Coordinator: Isabel Ruiz ( [email protected] 305-899-3123 ) **She is extremely busy so don't worry if you don't hear immediately back from her.

Thanks for reaching out to help. I wanted to know which areas most students look into living and what apartments you or others have looked into renting?

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for the delayed response, was in class all afternoon!!! If you have any other questions, please just let me know. I will try to help in any way possible.

I attached a few helpful files for you or anyone interested. The Fall 2017 Calendar is already posted, so this may help you plan out times to move down here/get an idea of what the fall will look like. I also uploaded the current schedule (fall 2016 class schedule) that list all the classes you will be taking next year. This has been the same schedule for classes at the school for a while. As far as the lab sections go, you will find out during orientation which section you will be in. Lab sections are not something you get to pick, those are chosen for you.

As far as moving down here, its a bit different than most people are used too. Many students had to use a realtor to help them locate apartments for rent. It was extremely difficult to find places if you are not used to Miami, so I would suggest using a realtor. If you think you will need a realtor, please PM me and I can give you the contact info for one that many of us used.

As far as the neighborhoods go, our class is mostly located in Hollywood, Aventura, Sunny Isles, or on Campus.

The following descriptions of neighborhoods were sent to me when I was first moving down here.....

1. North Bay Village

North Bay Village is the hidden gem of Miami. It’s a one-mile long city that’s about 20 steps wide, so basically anywhere you live will come with a view of the water.
Pros in no particular order:
1. Views of the water (statistically shown to reduce stress)
2. 15 min drive to class (that’s good for Miami)
3. Quiet, safe area
4. You can run to the beach
5. It’s on 79th street so basically in the middle of everything (no more than 15 from downtown Miami, school, or Aventura)
6. Street parking is easy, with tons of spots open for friends that visit
7. Cheap rent, considering it’s Miami
8. Next to a great public park with 3 full basketball courts, open field, and 4 tennis courts

Cons in no particular order:
1. Have to drive over a drawbridge that only goes up when you have a test (jk, it’s never really an issue, maybe once or twice every couple weeks)
2. Construction (they always seem to be building stuff and closing off one lane but it only affects you during rush hour).

2. Miami Shores, across from campus but not on campus

Pros

• 7 minute walk to class, 2 minute bikeride
• During class gaps, being able to go home to eat, nap, etc..
• Time efficient: no time spent in traffic
• When meeting in study groups, very convenient not having to drive to library
• Relatively cheaper versus other cities
• Publix grocery store close by
• During nights off- Brickell, South Beach and other attractions are all within ~15 minute drive

Cons

• Not the safest area
• When it rains, flooding system is poor (sidewalks become flooded)
• Not too many places to eat

3. On Campus Dorms

Cost of dorm: ~ generally $5,000 a semester
Meal Plan: ~ $1,930 a semester

BarryU has separate dorms for graduate students. This includes students in the Biomedical Masters Program, PA program, Law School, Nursing and Podiatry Program. Living on campus definitely has its pros and cons.

Pros:
-Getting to class is about a 5 min max walk
-If you forget something, you can easily walk back to your dorm
-Since you are required to get a meal plan, you don't have to worry about cooking
-The meal plan includes various options of eating at the dining hall or the on-campus stores (Subway, Chick N' Grill, etc.)
-You get to meet people from the other programs
-If you have a car, you get to park in the residential parking lots
-If ever you have maintenance problems, the staff will come the next day instead of having to wait a week
-You don't need to buy furniture

Cons:
-There is no kitchen
-You are required to get a meal plan
-You can be placed in a unit with two other people and share one bathroom or in a single room and share a joined bathroom
-If you don't like your roommates, living can also be stressful
-The dining hall and food options are not 24/7, if you are hungry at 2AM, hopefully you have snacks
-The furniture is not by any means luxurious, but it does get the job done

4. Ft. Lauderdale

Ft. Lauderdale is an awesome place to live! It is more laid back and quieter than the Miami area and a great place to go to the beach. While it may be a commute to school everyday it is nice to get away from the stress. Ft. Lauderdale has everything Miami offers with more of a community feel. Great night life, good restaurants, beach, farmers markets, shopping, and easy access to everything you could possibly need. The Ft. Lauderdale airport is also a really close uber ride which is great for people who will fly home for breaks or vacations. Living in Ft. Lauderdale allows you to go to all different places in South Florida as it is a very central location. You can go to Miami, Davie, and Boca all within 20-30 min. You can get a great place for around $800 - 1,000/month which is super reasonable price for the area.

5. South Beach

South beach real estate is sort of pricey, but if you're able to get a place down here its a great experience. I really don't think its that big of a distraction, depending on where you live in south beach the beach is usually a couple blocks away. Everything you need is south beach and is walking distance (publix, best buy, whole foods, hair cuttery, multiple dry cleaners etc). Lincoln road is pretty much an outdoor mall with all the popular stores (Apple store, Zara, banana republic, urban outfitters etc). Its approximately 11 miles away from campus which is usually a 15 minute drive (depending on traffic of course).

6. Sunny Isles Beach

Some Pros are a great location next to the beach and it is a really safe area as well. Some Cons would be a lot of people due to high rises, traffic in the mornings when going to school, and a lot of construction on a1a for more buildings. Prices ranges around this area for a 1-1 would be at least 1300 up to 1800. This was a great place to live and close to Aventura. There are a lot of restaurants and the Aventura mall is right down the road. It is about 30 minutes to downtown Miami and 20 minutes away from Ft. Lauderdale.

7a. Aventura - East

Aventura is a cool place, it takes a little time to drive to school but you can find places to live for reasonable prices if you choose to live together. The area has a ton of restaurants, grocery stores, and the aventura mall. Traffic is manageable most of the time except for a friday afternoon. Places to start looking in aventura are places like camden and parc central.

7b. Aventura – Just West of i95

Tips: Would recommend getting a realtor if you're not from the area. Some of the apartments here are difficult to get access to so a realtor could help you find places that are not on apartment.com etc. Also if you're going to live with a roommate, ask about parking--sometimes they charge extra for an additional spot. Be wary of all the rules living in apartment complexes.

Aventura Pros:
15-20 minute drive to school in the morning--Local road all the way to class. Convient--grocery stores (publix), restaurants (chipotle!), and Aventura Mall (bourgie of malls). Best part of living in Aventura is that it is SAFE!!!

Definitely recommended if you're not from South Florida.

Aventura Cons:
It's little pricey. With a roommate it can be 900+.

8. Midtown/Edgewater

The greatest place to live! You get the best of both worlds, the city and the water. It is about an 8-10 minute drive to school and very easy to get on the highway. You are about 5-10 minutes from all of the fun stuff (south beach and brickell), publix is 2 minutes away, and there are tons of restaurants and shopping in midtown. The price range for a 2 bedroom is around 2300-2500.

9. North Beach

North Beach neighborhood
This neighborhood is 7-8 miles from campus. The commute can be long because there are a few bridges between North Beach and Barry. Rent for a 2 bedroom is around $1700 per month and a 1 bedroom $1200. Some bridges require a toll, which add up to around $75 per month. It is a safe neighborhood that is very family friendly. is less touristy than the other Miami Beach areas and the beach is a 5-minute walk from our place.

10. North Miami

price ranges are around $650-850 a person roughly (I live with a roommate and we pay $1350 plus utilities). Pros are that it’s really close to school. If I oversleep until 30 minutes before class, you can get dressed, brush your teeth, and be at class on time. There are also fast routes to 95 so you can’t get most places quickly and this is cheaper for Miami. However, unfortunately Miami is one of those areas that you get what you pay for. The area is a little rougher and people including myself have had packages that were delivered and left at their door stolen.

11. Brickell

An urban neighborhood with a vibrant atmosphere, Brickell is the ideal home for someone new to the city of Miami. Filled with a diverse group of young professionals, it is a great area to get to know people and expand social networks. The heart of Brickell lies in Mary Brickell Village, a plaza with fun shops, restaurants, and bars, where there is always something to see or do. It is a true representation of the city life for those who are looking for it.

Pros for living in Brickell are that it’s only a short drive from school, you’re constantly driving against traffic, and everything else within the district is walking distance-- -grocery stores, gyms, restaurants, coffee shops, etc.

I have only two negative things to say about Brickell. Firstly, it’s a little pricey compared to some areas in Miami. Being in the city, the average cost of a 1-bedroom apartment ranges from $1200-1800. And lastly, if for any reason walking is not an option, driving through traffic in Brickell is hard, and finding parking is even harder.

12. Hollywood

A great safe area to live in. Its about 10-15 miles from class depending on where you are located. If traffic isn’t to bad, its about a 20 minute drive…but if traffic is backed up, you are looking at 40 minutes to an hour. There are a lot of great shopping areas and restaurants located in Hollywood. Plus its got some of the best/cleanest beaches in the area. Several students live in Hollywood and really enjoy living there.

Attachments

• Fall 2017 Calendar.jpg
    Fall 2017 Calendar.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 202
  • Fall 2016 Class Scedule.JPG
    Fall 2016 Class Scedule.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 201
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the delayed response, was in class all afternoon!!! If you have any other questions, please just let me know. I will try to help in any way possible.

I attached a few helpful files for you or anyone interested. The Fall 2017 Calendar is already posted, so this may help you plan out times to move down here/get an idea of what the fall will look like. I also uploaded the current schedule (fall 2016 class schedule) that list all the classes you will be taking next year. This has been the same schedule for classes at the school for a while. As far as the lab sections go, you will find out during orientation which section you will be in. Lab sections are not something you get to pick, those are chosen for you.

As far as moving down here, its a bit different than most people are used too. Many students had to use a realtor to help them locate apartments for rent. It was extremely difficult to find places if you are not used to Miami, so I would suggest using a realtor. If you think you will need a realtor, please PM me and I can give you the contact info for one that many of us used.

As far as the neighborhoods go, our class is mostly located in Hollywood, Aventura, Sunny Isles, or on Campus.

The following descriptions of neighborhoods were sent to me when I was first moving down here.....

1. North Bay Village

North Bay Village is the hidden gem of Miami. It’s a one-mile long city that’s about 20 steps wide, so basically anywhere you live will come with a view of the water.
3. Quiet, safe area
5. It’s on 79th street so basically in the middle of everything (no more than 15 from downtown Miami, school, or Aventura)
8. Next to a great public park with 3 full basketball courts, open field, and 4 tennis courts

1. Have to drive over a drawbridge that only goes up when you have a test (jk, it’s never really an issue, maybe once or twice every couple weeks)
2. Construction (they always seem to be building stuff and closing off one lane but it only affects you during rush hour).

Pros

• During nights off- Brickell, South Beach and other attractions are all within ~15 minute drive

Cons

• Not the safest area

3. On Campus Dorms

BarryU has separate dorms for graduate students. This includes students in the Biomedical Masters Program, PA program, Law School, Nursing and Podiatry Program. Living on campus definitely has its pros and cons.

Pros:
-Since you are required to get a meal plan, you don't have to worry about cooking
-The meal plan includes various options of eating at the dining hall or the on-campus stores (Subway, Chick N' Grill, etc.)
-If ever you have maintenance problems, the staff will come the next day instead of having to wait a week

Cons:
-There is no kitchen
-You can be placed in a unit with two other people and share one bathroom or in a single room and share a joined bathroom
-The dining hall and food options are not 24/7, if you are hungry at 2AM, hopefully you have snacks

4. Ft. Lauderdale

Ft. Lauderdale is an awesome place to live! It is more laid back and quieter than the Miami area and a great place to go to the beach. While it may be a commute to school everyday it is nice to get away from the stress. Ft. Lauderdale has everything Miami offers with more of a community feel. Great night life, good restaurants, beach, farmers markets, shopping, and easy access to everything you could possibly need. The Ft. Lauderdale airport is also a really close uber ride which is great for people who will fly home for breaks or vacations. Living in Ft. Lauderdale allows you to go to all different places in South Florida as it is a very central location. You can go to Miami, Davie, and Boca all within 20-30 min. You can get a great place for around $800 - 1,000/month which is super reasonable price for the area.

5. South Beach

South beach real estate is sort of pricey, but if you're able to get a place down here its a great experience. I really don't think its that big of a distraction, depending on where you live in south beach the beach is usually a couple blocks away. Everything you need is south beach and is walking distance (publix, best buy, whole foods, hair cuttery, multiple dry cleaners etc). Lincoln road is pretty much an outdoor mall with all the popular stores (Apple store, Zara, banana republic, urban outfitters etc). Its approximately 11 miles away from campus which is usually a 15 minute drive (depending on traffic of course).

6. Sunny Isles Beach

Some Pros are a great location next to the beach and it is a really safe area as well. Some Cons would be a lot of people due to high rises, traffic in the mornings when going to school, and a lot of construction on a1a for more buildings. Prices ranges around this area for a 1-1 would be at least 1300 up to 1800. This was a great place to live and close to Aventura. There are a lot of restaurants and the Aventura mall is right down the road. It is about 30 minutes to downtown Miami and 20 minutes away from Ft. Lauderdale.

7a. Aventura - East

Aventura is a cool place, it takes a little time to drive to school but you can find places to live for reasonable prices if you choose to live together. The area has a ton of restaurants, grocery stores, and the aventura mall. Traffic is manageable most of the time except for a friday afternoon. Places to start looking in aventura are places like camden and parc central.

Tips: Would recommend getting a realtor if you're not from the area. Some of the apartments here are difficult to get access to so a realtor could help you find places that are not on apartment.com etc. Also if you're going to live with a roommate, ask about parking--sometimes they charge extra for an additional spot. Be wary of all the rules living in apartment complexes.

Aventura Pros:
15-20 minute drive to school in the morning--Local road all the way to class. Convient--grocery stores (publix), restaurants (chipotle!), and Aventura Mall (bourgie of malls). Best part of living in Aventura is that it is SAFE!!!

Aventura Cons:

8. Midtown/Edgewater

The greatest place to live! You get the best of both worlds, the city and the water. It is about an 8-10 minute drive to school and very easy to get on the highway. You are about 5-10 minutes from all of the fun stuff (south beach and brickell), publix is 2 minutes away, and there are tons of restaurants and shopping in midtown. The price range for a 2 bedroom is around 2300-2500.

9. North Beach

North Beach neighborhood
This neighborhood is 7-8 miles from campus. The commute can be long because there are a few bridges between North Beach and Barry. Rent for a 2 bedroom is around $1700 per month and a 1 bedroom $1200. Some bridges require a toll, which add up to around $75 per month. It is a safe neighborhood that is very family friendly. is less touristy than the other Miami Beach areas and the beach is a 5-minute walk from our place.

10. North Miami

price ranges are around $650-850 a person roughly (I live with a roommate and we pay $1350 plus utilities). Pros are that it’s really close to school. If I oversleep until 30 minutes before class, you can get dressed, brush your teeth, and be at class on time. There are also fast routes to 95 so you can’t get most places quickly and this is cheaper for Miami. However, unfortunately Miami is one of those areas that you get what you pay for. The area is a little rougher and people including myself have had packages that were delivered and left at their door stolen.

11. Brickell

An urban neighborhood with a vibrant atmosphere, Brickell is the ideal home for someone new to the city of Miami. Filled with a diverse group of young professionals, it is a great area to get to know people and expand social networks. The heart of Brickell lies in Mary Brickell Village, a plaza with fun shops, restaurants, and bars, where there is always something to see or do. It is a true representation of the city life for those who are looking for it.

Pros for living in Brickell are that it’s only a short drive from school, you’re constantly driving against traffic, and everything else within the district is walking distance-- -grocery stores, gyms, restaurants, coffee shops, etc.

I have only two negative things to say about Brickell. Firstly, it’s a little pricey compared to some areas in Miami. Being in the city, the average cost of a 1-bedroom apartment ranges from $1200-1800. And lastly, if for any reason walking is not an option, driving through traffic in Brickell is hard, and finding parking is even harder.

12. Hollywood

A great safe area to live in. Its about 10-15 miles from class depending on where you are located. If traffic isn’t to bad, its about a 20 minute drive…but if traffic is backed up, you are looking at 40 minutes to an hour. There are a lot of great shopping areas and restaurants located in Hollywood. Plus its got some of the best/cleanest beaches in the area. Several students live in Hollywood and really enjoy living there.

Thank you! This was very helpful!! How are the exam schedules: Do you have multiple in a week or are they spread out?

Exam schedule is actually really manageable (posted below)...Every week on Tuesday (some weeks its moved to Thursdays if any exams on monday/tuesday) there will be a 10 question histology quiz on the previous week's material. There is also a 10 question quiz in research methodology (stats) on Wednesdays (but not every week, only 8 quizzes total) . October is the most hectic, but its really not to bad if you keep up on the material.

Fall 2016 Exam Schedule:

August:

No exams

SEPTEMBER:

September 13 – Anatomy Exam 1

September 19 – Biochemistry Exam 1

September 22 – Histology Exam 1

OCTOBER:

October 13 – Biochemistry Exam 2

October 14 – Histology Lab Exam 1

October 18 – Anatomy Exam 2

October 19 – Cadaver Exam 1

October 24 – Histology Exam 2

October 26 – Research Methodology Midterm

NOVEMBER:

November 8 – Anatomy Exam 3

November 14 – Biochemistry Exam 3

November 21 – Histology Exam 3

DECEMBER (FINALS):

December 2 – Cadaver Final Exam

December 5 – Anatomy Final Exam

December 7 – Histology Lab Exam 2

December 8 – Histology Final Exam

December 9 – Biochemistry Final

Reactions: 1 users
Saving this thread.

Any specific time within the next few months where it would be best to visit to check out housing?

Saving this thread.

Any specific time within the next few months where it would be best to visit to check out housing?

It's all up to you and when you plan on moving down here. I visited for a week in July and found a place to stay and moved in the first week of August. Most of the students I talked to said they had similar experiences, but there were a few that struggled finding places and ended up in hotels for a few weeks after school started. We will be creating a FB page soon and sending all the acceptances a link to it, and it will have a lot More info on housing and places to live.

Welcome. I am not a first year, though I'll be happy to answer questions if you have any.

Podstudent 2020- great info on housing

I have been accepted by email, What should I do next in order to complete the admissions process? Do I only need to send in my deposit?

You'll have to pay the deposit, then do a background check/urine test, and then send in any last transcripts

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You'll have to pay the deposit, then do a background check/urine test, and then send in any last transcripts

Okay did you get like a login to their website or anything after you finished all of that? Or like a schedule of what happens next?

Nope just got forms to fill out to send the deposit and instructions on how to do the background check.

That is all you will get for now. Just do the deposit and make sure to get the background check done (I had to get fingerprinted a few times since mine kept getting rejected, I would recommend going to a police department for the fingerprints)

As far as the website goes, you will most likely get your login during orientation (I know, its a really long time away). Over half our class didnt even get their emails or login info for webadvisor until orientation. This is something Isabel may provide to you before orientation, but like I said before, most of us got it during orientation week. You will also register during orientation, so dont worry like I did and think I had to find a way to register for classes before I got there and call the school multiple times before I got a straight answer! haha

We will be sending out info in early January regarding the program/housing/books/supplies/etc. and also a link to the closed facebook page for the incoming 2021 class.

Members don't see this ad :)

1. North Bay Village

3. Quiet, safe area

Pros

Cons

• Not the safest area

3. On Campus Dorms

Pros:

Cons:
-There is no kitchen

4. Ft. Lauderdale

5. South Beach

6. Sunny Isles Beach

7a. Aventura - East

Aventura Pros:

Aventura Cons:

8. Midtown/Edgewater

9. North Beach

North Beach neighborhood

10. North Miami

11. Brickell

12. Hollywood

Hello! I have been accepted for the Fall and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction for apartments in Adventura. I was originally looking in Miramar, but I am concerned about traffic. Thanks!

Hello! I have been accepted for the Fall and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction for apartments in Adventura. I was originally looking in Miramar, but I am concerned about traffic. Thanks!
Congrats, see you in August:)

Hey all, so I was just looking at the financial aid that is given to students attending Barry. I am a little concerned about being able to qualify for the super expensive apartments in South Florida. I did some simple math and figured for first year (9 months) after tuition there is $28,000 left over (after the max. loan). A typical one bedroom is $1,200-$1,400 per month. Every apartment states that you have to show at least 3 times the cost of rent to qualify. So my actual question is will the award letter show the amount remaining after tuition is deducted or will it show the entire amount of loan money, that can be used as income?

Hey all, so I was just looking at the financial aid that is given to students attending Barry. I am a little concerned about being able to qualify for the super expensive apartments in South Florida. I did some simple math and figured for first year (9 months) after tuition there is $28,000 left over (after the max. loan). A typical one bedroom is $1,200-$1,400 per month. Every apartment states that you have to show at least 3 times the cost of rent to qualify. So my actual question is will the award letter show the amount remaining after tuition is deducted or will it show the entire amount of loan money, that can be used as income?

Check Craigslist for apartment listings. Usually they have listings by owners that aren't part of a rental association and can overlook that part if you tell them you're a student and will be paying with loans. It's kind of a silly requirement- my statement showed income from a job 1,500 miles away from the apartment. Obviously I wouldn't have that job when I moved but no one questioned it. I believe there's a caveat that as long as you show a bank account in your name with 3x rent you can qualify. In addition to that, if you have a cosigner (parent), then you're set.

I wanted to lock down an apartment as soon as I was accepted, but it's simply not possible to rent one until the summer. They fill up so quick. You can also work on finding a roommate, if interested, on the BUSPM c/o 2021 fb page. A piece of advice- if you're not from the South FL area and have the time/$ I recommend taking a week to visit the area and scope out the area/apartments. I was able to do that in June. A week stay at a hotel and round trip airfare, rental car, etc. was about $500.

Check Craigslist for apartment listings. Usually they have listings by owners that aren't part of a rental association and can overlook that part if you tell them you're a student and will be paying with loans. It's kind of a silly requirement- my statement showed income from a job 1,500 miles away from the apartment. Obviously I wouldn't have that job when I moved but no one questioned it. I believe there's a caveat that as long as you show a bank account in your name with 3x rent you can qualify. In addition to that, if you have a cosigner (parent), then you're set.

I wanted to lock down an apartment as soon as I was accepted, but it's simply not possible to rent one until the summer. They fill up so quick. You can also work on finding a roommate, if interested, on the BUSPM c/o 2021 fb page. A piece of advice- if you're not from the South FL area and have the time/$ I recommend taking a week to visit the area and scope out the area/apartments. I was able to do that in June. A week stay at a hotel and round trip airfare, rental car, etc. was about $500.

Thanks TimmyTurner for your response and the information.

In the end, getting a parent to cosign may incur the smallest headache. That would be my plan A.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Hey Guys I have been accepted to Barry this Cycle. I'm excited to meet everyone!

The max loan you took out is unsubsidized Stanford loan?

DO NOT COME HERE, if you have another choice go there do not come here.
I’ve always been the kind of person who gives people the benefit of the doubt and tries to see the positive in every situation. However, as a third year getting ready for my externships. I am ready to leave this place and I never want to come back.My only hope that comes from someone reading this is that they will not make the same mistakes I did by coming here. I only wish someone had told me differently and advised me to go to a different school. . By any means i’m not a person that sits here in resentment, my class mates are amazing and i’m super glad I met them, but what we’ve been through is not okay. This mess is a perfect storm caused by three people who have led us to these events, 1) clinical instructor , 2) our dean and 3) physiology professor/academic dean

To avoid defamation I ask that you google these names. We recently got a new clinical instructor this year, we were called the transitional class because of this. Literally a month before our externship selection we were told that we would now have to do a home month here in Miami, this was not new but in the past if someone wanted to stay here you could switch with your classmate and go elsewhere. This now meant that people who did not want to stay here now had to squeeze a month in and would leave them with one less externship. Thats not a bad deal you say, but then she insisted she needed three per month and that she would be picking our clinical site. Meaning if you were all the way out in seattle, you would have to come back to miami if there was a month unaccounted for. She also picked our clinical site. Which is another disadvantage because that meant if you were interested in a Barry clinical for externship your home month would count as an externship but she made sure of this as well. We were also told that when Barry University is off, clinic would be off as well, however a two days before thanksgiving rolled around, another email rolled around saying we would be expected to be in clinic. We felt this was calculated as we had a class meeting with her the Monday before and there was no mention of it. She also required 5 SOAP NOTES a day that had to be done in 24 hours, keep in mind we are taking 6 classes,6! That amounts to 15 a week and she would not approve them for whatever reason so then you had to go back in there and change the stupid log. It was time consuming and counterproductive.

During this time our dean was emailed multiple times and many of my classmates arranged meetings with him to voice our concern. Nothing was done. During this time we had a few people retaking boards and some failed the second time. He sent us an insensitive email telling us our board score rate an made a point of saying that it was lower than the years before. Not taking into account we had lost a couple of people from our class who we considered our friends. It seemed at this point that he did not care about the welfare of the students but rather our board rates. He met with us in a class meeting in December, in December! Five months after the first sign of trouble, and five months after we had sent emails and reached out to him about an increasingly intolerable situation. Our meeting went well, and we were hopeful.

However when we returned in January not much had changed, we now were still required 5 logs a day but now instead of being due in 24 hours they were now due before five on Saturday. We were told at the beginning of class meeting by our clinical instructor that we did not have to do logs during externship, however in our last class meeting we were told we would now have to do one a day for the whole month which would account to 20 a month. NONE of the other podiatry schools are require do logs during externships! We emailed both the dean and clinical instructor and didn't hear back for them and its literally been a week!

Now to our last person who has created a perfect storm, this last example will show you how dysfunctional the administration is, if the above hasn't already convinced you. We get a final exam schedule at the beginning of every semester, not only that we get a syllabus from the professor. Our academic dean who is also the physiology teacher, tried to tell us our surgery final was on a Monday when we had two other finals, even though we had the schedule he gave us and the syllabus form the professor. He literally let this go on a week before finals for two days and kept saying that because his schedule says Monday (this phantom schedule that nobody saw) that we have to take our final on Monday. It was unnecessary and added stress in an already stressful situation. In the end the professors stepped in and said it was Tuesday. Its one of many examples of incompetence at this school, unqualified people in positions they should be in, and a dean who doesn't care about the welfare of the student but only about numbers. DO NOT GO HERE. CHOOSE DIFFERENTLY YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

@USMLE2018 has touched upon some issues I can't speak to, since he/she is years ahead of me. I will concede that BUSPM does have general problems when it comes to administrative action. I don't ascribe to the idea that it is based in making the student experience less pleasant simply for the sake of it, while they twist their mustaches and cynically laugh in a mwuah-ha-ha fashion, a la Dr. Evil. I think there's generally just a short sighted approach to these decisions. That being said- as someone who has a unique exposure to students at other schools on a regular basis... all Podiatric schools have their problems. After hearing some of the problems of other schools, I'll take BUSPM problems any day of the week and twice on Sunday. That is my perspective since this school offers me something that others cannot. I won't go into all the pros and cons but just know that every school has their issues.

Reactions: 2 users
@USMLE2018 has touched upon some issues I can't speak to, since he/she is years ahead of me. I will concede that BUSPM does have general problems when it comes to administrative action. I don't ascribe to the idea that it is based in making the student experience less pleasant simply for the sake of it, while they twist their mustaches and cynically laugh in a mwuah-ha-ha fashion, a la Dr. Evil. I think there's generally just a short sighted approach to these decisions. That being said- as someone who has a unique exposure to students at other schools on a regular basis... all Podiatric schools have their problems. After hearing some of the problems of other schools, I'll take BUSPM problems any day of the week and twice on Sunday. That is my perspective since this school offers me something that others cannot. I won't go into all the pros and cons but just know that every school has their issues.
Can you share what you have heard from about other schools for us pre-pods?

Can you share what you have heard from about other schools for us pre-pods?

I would have no problem in person, however- I don't feel comfortable quoting the anecdotal experience of someone from another school and posting it anonymously on this forum. If you message individuals from respective schools on SDN I'm sure they'd be happy to speak about their respective school and the issues that they face.

Speaking in generalities... Basically, every school has their issues. It's up to you to decide which ones are worth dealing with. Again, I chose my school because it offered me something that no other school could that specifically catered to my long term interests. At the end of the day.. You're going to face challenges outside your realm of control. Just do the best you can on controlling what you can (board scores, LEA knowledge, clerkship performance) and the rest will sort itself out.

The school's name is barry huh. Thats a nice name.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Guys I have been accepted to Barry this Cycle. I'm excited to meet everyone!

How was the interview? I have an interview on next week and a little nervous!! How long after the interview did they tell you that you were accepted and do you know how many students are in the your class so far??

How was your interview? I have an interview next week and a little nervous!! How long after the interview did they tell you that you were accepted and do you know how many students are in the your class so far?? (CLASS OF 2021)

How was your interview? I have an interview next week and a little nervous!! How long after the interview did they tell you that you were accepted and do you know how many students are in the your class so far?? (CLASS OF 2021)

the interview is pretty laid back just be yourself. Still waiting for to be accepted on the facebook group. Got a call within two days.

Last edited: