SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

barry university vs. ocpm

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by bocajuniors, Apr 12, 2007.

1. bocajuniors

bocajuniors 2+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    i have two interviews coming up this month at ocpm and at barry. does anyone have an idea which is "better" or what to look for at the interviews any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Clarkston, MI
    This is a fairly tough question right now. Both schools are in a bit of transition. Barry's new GMS building is slated to open in fall of 2008, and OCPM is moving to a vastly new location this fall.

Since I go to Barry, I can tell you that there's no plans to drastically change the faculty. The new building is across the street from current university property, so it'll be all of the same faculty you'll currently read about on the website or meet during your visit. The classroom and lab facilities are adequate right now, but the school was built in the 1940s and it's time for an overhaul. I'd imagine that the pod, PA and SMP students will have top notch facilities pretty soon without having any drastic changes in faculty.

Ohio's school is making a more drastic move. Their current school building in in University Circle in Cleveland, but they are selling it to Cleveland Clinic and moving the school about 10+ miles away to Independence, Ohio. Since they are currently sharing many basic sciences faculty with Case Western dent/nursing which are currently right across the street yet will be 10mi from them in a few months, you could see some fairly significant overhauls in terms of basic science faculty if those profs who used to work 2min away don't want to commute 30min each way this fall. The changes could be for better or worse (better/worse teachers, more/less "old tests," better/worse facilities, etc), but you may wish to ask questions during your interview about what their plans are for their current part-time basic sciences faculty. See what students think of the move and ask them if they've seen the new buildings or met any new incoming teachers.

In the end, pick the school where you think you can succeed. Hard work and lots of reading are ahead of you wherever you go. The schools wouldn't be accredited if they didn't provide an adequate education, so the reading and study time that you need to master the subjects and pass the board exams is up to you...

Run a search in this forum also. These kind of questions come up quite a bit. You can probably find a lot of info. I remember addressing someone's Cleveland/Miami housing question about a month ago...

4. txlioness

txlioness Member 10+ Year Member

May 25, 2006
    I did not interview at Barry. But i did interview at Ohio. I really liked Ohio and the decision not to attend was hard. I really liked the school and the resources offered. The students seemed to be really happy about moving to the new facilities. From what I heard, the new campus is only 7 miles away. the students didn't mention any issues with professors since they are moving.

My decision not to apply to Barry was multifaceted (research, website info, SDN info, interview feedback, location, etc). So all I can say is look at all the schools you are interested in if you can afford it. I got surprised during my interviews b/c I was expecting one school to impress me more than the others and wound up liking it less. go to where you feel you will be happy and successful. :thumbup:

5. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Clarkston, MI
    It might only be 7 miles as a bird flies, but driving directions said about 12 miles:
    http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?do=nw&go=1&r=f&aoh=&aot=&aof=&2a=&2c=Independence&2s=OH&2z=&2n=Cuyahoga%20County&2y=US&2l=Yh3S2bTyIDNSqnUVASuKdg%3d%3d&2g=rdX3Xvio6N1ZLY5sO0%2bpNA%3d%3d&2v=CITY&1a=10515%20Carnegie%20Ave&1c=Cleveland&1s=OH&1z=44106&1y=US&1l=u50iCVr9YHOxrzhH3pIiZw%3d%3d&1g=eVNn6sFuQuzgxCkn4YHA9w%3d%3d&1pn=Ohio%20College%20of%20Podiatric%20Med&1pl=216%2d231%2d3300&1v=ADDRESS&1ffi=1&1ex=&1n=

As for professors coming/going, did you ask? Students who have already taken anat, micro, bioch, PD, etc probably don't care if the CWRU professors aren't around or will have to commute a good distance to get to the new location, but incoming students should insure that good new faculty is in place or that the current profs are going with OCPM to the new location.

I'm not trying to split hairs on this. I was just saying that there are changes going on at both schools that the OP mentions, and his asking questions at the interviews or asking to see the new facilities will be important in both places. If you read my posts on "pod school A or B" questions like these, I avoid bashing any school. It's a small profession and there's no point to it; the main factor is student quality and how much effort they put into reading and studies. Every program has its strengths and weaknesses, but people who flunk out, don't pass boards, or don't get good residencies can look at the dust on their books and classes they skipped rather than the program when they are deciding who is to blame...

6. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest 10+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Iowa
    :thumbup:

Some people for flunk or don't pass boards just should not be there. They are not a strong enough student, but I do like your comments.

7. txlioness

txlioness Member 10+ Year Member

May 25, 2006
    well,

like i mentioned OP, i'm not attending either school but interviewed at Ohio. I really liked Ohio but decided on Scholl.

It was extremely difficult for me to decide. Make your choices from what you feel you need to be happy at whatever school. :D

good :luck: