Barry updating Anatomy Labs and Classrooms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paulywog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Barry University is getting updated anatomy lab and classroom seating. It is currently under construction and they are waiting for the 2nd year PODs classes this week to finish. The anatomy labs before were pretty old and outdated. We will be getting all new flooring, walls (you should have seen them before), LCD TV's. video cameras, chairs, and everything else. Too bad my class was the last class to use the old lab. C/O 2013, you are lucky, enjoy it. The class room chairs in the wiegand are supposed to be ripped out and replaced by the same seating that is in the new POD building. Much better! Those two areas of the Barry POD facilities were the only gripes I had about my 1st year experience. This all will be finished before school starts this Fall. The changes that Barry has made in the past 3 years is amazing. Only problem I have about living in Miami is that my sunburn is pealing, but it's fun to peel off sheets of skin.

Members don't see this ad.

Barry University is getting updated anatomy lab and classroom seating. It is currently under construction and they are waiting for the 2nd year PODs classes this week to finish. The anatomy labs before were pretty old and outdated. We will be getting all new flooring, walls (you should have seen them before), LCD TV's. video cameras, chairs, and everything else. Too bad my class was the last class to use the old lab. C/O 2013, you are lucky, enjoy it. The class room chairs in the wiegand are supposed to be ripped out and replaced by the same seating that is in the new POD building. Much better! Those two areas of the Barry POD facilities were the only gripes I had about my 1st year experience. This all will be finished before school starts this Fall. The changes that Barry has made in the past 3 years is amazing. Only problem I have about living in Miami is that my sunburn is pealing, but it's fun to peel off sheets of skin.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Do you know what happened to Dean Weiner? I heard a few stories, from leaving for good to taking a leave of absence. You can PM me if you want.

woah! adcom didnt even mention this! i was extremely turned off by facilities. something about 80deg humid air resonating in the anatomy lab didnt agree with me. also those lecture halls were terrible bc the seats were small and the chairs squeaked. good to hear barry is spending a lil cash

Members don't see this ad :)
woah! adcom didnt even mention this! i was extremely turned off by facilities. something about 80deg humid air resonating in the anatomy lab didnt agree with me. also those lecture halls were terrible bc the seats were small and the chairs squeaked. good to hear barry is spending a lil cash

There isn't A/C in the anatomy lab? How about the classrooms?

Hahaha. Everyone on SDN ripped on OCPM for having plasma TVs, but now all the other schools are struggling to keep up.

There isn't A/C in the anatomy lab? How about the classrooms?

The whole building is air conditioned. The anatomy lab is one big freezer, if it wasn't cold you might have a problem. But on a more serious note, the building did need work and if it looks anything like the new building when it is done then the new classes will be in for a treat.

Hahaha. Everyone on SDN ripped on OCPM for having plasma TVs, but now all the other schools are struggling to keep up.

Did you ever see the old OCPM facilities? By far the worst of all nine. It's a good change of course (the new move) but doesn't make the school the best. It's still independent and has below average pass rates on the boards. I would have loved to see it pairing up with case western or the cleveland clinic.

A bunch of the other schools had modern technology before Ohio, it's nothing too new.

yeah, its been a few years since DMU updated their lab.

Have any other schools talked about electronic medical records?

The anatomy room humid and hot?!?!? I don't think so. That thing was a walk-in freezer. Apparently, you never went inside. About Dr. Weiner leaving, I could care less because I only met him for 20 min of my life and never saw or heard of him since I became a student. It's weird how many people base their decisions on what schools to go to based on the admissions committe. I know a few that did and regret it. I wish we could sit through a few lectures during interviews, that would be a real test to see if you like the school for the first year. Many of the schools I interviewed at didn't show off their clinics either. By the way, the lecture halls do have A/C. It works oh so well. Some students bring sweatshirts to class (even when it's 95 degrees outside and 80% humidity), I think its perfect.

The anatomy room humid and hot?!?!? I don't think so. That thing was a walk-in freezer. Apparently, you never went inside. About Dr. Weiner leaving, I could care less because I only met him for 20 min of my life and never saw or heard of him since I became a student. It's weird how many people base their decisions on what schools to go to based on the admissions committe. I know a few that did and regret it. I wish we could sit through a few lectures during interviews, that would be a real test to see if you like the school for the first year. Many of the schools I interviewed at didn't show off their clinics either. By the way, the lecture halls do have A/C. It works oh so well. Some students bring sweatshirts to class (even when it's 95 degrees outside and 80% humidity), I think its perfect.

keep in mind it was may and i was in a suit during the interview... not some loose fitting scrubs. maybe i got an off day or something or maybe the heat perspiring off the students taking their practical final radiated the room.

Good to hear. Nicer facilities are always good, but anatomy is still anatomy. Those students who read their notes/atlas and spend time in lab will learn it, and others who get behind on the massive amounts of memorization material will struggle.

...Have any other schools talked about electronic medical records?
One of Barry's 4 clinics (Hialeah) had purchased the software when I rotated there last November. I'd assume it's up and running by now... maybe at other Barry clinics also. EMR is nice, but you need to learn basics and longhand SOAP notes first before you go on to dictations, EMR, etc.

electronic medical records like how? all of our notes are on the computer.

This isn't 1st/2nd year stuff junior. It's electronic patient records for clinics. Having x-rays and such available to view on a computer as well.

This isn't 1st/2nd year stuff junior. It's electronic patient records for clinics. Having x-rays and such available to view on a computer as well.

Yea, we have all that at OCPM. It's been that way for a while squirt.

Barry didnt spend any money on the new facilities, it was donated by a former student. Barry wouldn't spend money like that on its own. However, it should be niiiice.