Barry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScienceSailor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at Barry and I was really surprised and pleased with the campus, hospital, staff I talked with, and the current students. I'm super excited about my acceptance, and I'm pretty sure I'll be headed there, but I'm a little hesitant because I've seen such negative postings about Barry on here. I have strong enough stats to get into other programs, and was already accepted at NYCPM as well, but something in me just keeps saying Barry. Are there any current students who have specific concerns/praises for the school?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Barry and I was really surprised and pleased with the campus, hospital, staff I talked with, and the current students. I'm super excited about my acceptance, and I'm pretty sure I'll be headed there, but I'm a little hesitant because I've seen such negative postings about Barry on here. I have strong enough stats to get into other programs, and was already accepted at NYCPM as well, but something in me just keeps saying Barry. Are there any current students who have specific concerns/praises for the school?

I would inquire what their first time board pass rate was for class of 2020. May make you wonder whats going on over there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please, do tell what it was this year?

According to the email I received from BUSPM:
  • Our 2017 graduating class hit the trifecta:100% passing rate on part II of the boards; 100% passing rate on the clinical boards; 100% residency placement;
  • Our 2018 graduating class also passed the written AND clinical boards at 100%--the second year in a row we’ve done this.They had a 95% residency placement.
  • Our 2020 class had a 98% passing rate on part I of the boards last summer/fall.

Doesn't list the 2018 part I first time pass rate. I've heard rumors it wasn't so great. But could just be rumors? But I know it wasn't 98% first time pass rate for Barry last summer/fall
There was definitely at least a slight drop, which was mentioned when I was there. But it was still over 90% (according to people while there, not any official record, I've been trying to find that)

One thing they mentioned that really intrigued me was how expansive the scope of practice was for FL and what that allowed the students to see. What really struck me was that they said in the ER, pod is paged for anything ankle below (bone or soft tissue injury), and sometimes even lower leg breaks, and that ortho is only called in for knee and above. In the greater NYC area I know that pods are almost never paged for anything ortho related, and really only wounds (many family members working in hospitals in the area, been talking with them about what pods are and are not paged for). Anyone know if this really is the case in FL, and if so, is it anywhere else?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if this really is the case in FL, and if so, is it anywhere else?

I’m from Florida. For the most part, you are right. FL has soft tissue from the hip and below and anything below the knee. Other states are getting more privelages as the years go by, so it may be different (in a good way) in the future.

Great show.

Reactions: 2 users
There was definitely at least a slight drop, which was mentioned when I was there. But it was still over 90% (according to people while there, not any official record, I've been trying to find that)

One thing they mentioned that really intrigued me was how expansive the scope of practice was for FL and what that allowed the students to see. What really struck me was that they said in the ER, pod is paged for anything ankle below (bone or soft tissue injury), and sometimes even lower leg breaks, and that ortho is only called in for knee and above. In the greater NYC area I know that pods are almost never paged for anything ortho related, and really only wounds (many family members working in hospitals in the area, been talking with them about what pods are and are not paged for). Anyone know if this really is the case in FL, and if so, is it anywhere else?

I would say its a combo of state and hospital system based from what I hear. Obvi new york is ortho dominated so pods won't likely be called. But states like new jersey and Georgia have a strong pod presence and good scope laws. Coupled with a good and reputable pod department within the hospital system the above can be very likely. With time, work, and advocacy I'd hope to see this in the majority of all hospital systems and the scope of practice of pods to include everything below tibial tuberosity in all states. But a guy can only dream.

Reactions: 1 user
Barrys Class of 2020 boards part 1 was not a 98%.

1st time pass rate: 64% (18 students failed, plus another from a previous year)

Retake: 88% (6 students failed)

Ouch, that’s a lot worse than what they made it seem. Any ideas why the drop?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

first time pass rate at barry was 64%. the faculty is a mess and most students study on their own for boards. Lack of guidance when it comes to board here especially part 1. Basic science exams are not like the board exam questions, we study here to pass the exams but when it comes to the board :shrug:.

21Podstudent is correct. the pass rate for the class of 2020 was 64% for the first time and then 88% for the second time. It was the class of 2019 that had a pass rate of 98% for part I of the boards.

21Podstudent is correct. the pass rate for the class of 2020 was 64% for the first time and then 88% for the second time. It was the class of 2019 that had a pass rate of 98% for part I of the boards.
What changed between Class of 2019 and 2020?!?! Must be something significant...

Reactions: 3 users
What changed between Class of 2019 and 2020?!?! Must be something significant...

I know the class of 2019 had a lot of students not pass the first exam in July as well. I don't remember the exact number, but I believe there was around 10-11 who didn't pass in July and then during the October retake I believe it was 2 who didn't pass. For 2020 stats, it was I believe 19 (July) and 6 (October). So yeah, it was worse, but I heard a few years ago it was worse than that for the July exam, but not sure if that was true or not?

Hopefully it will go better this year!

Before attending here I would strongly look into student satisfaction and not just ask the student liaisons given to you.

I highly recommend not going to Barry. The school is a mess, professors and administrators are horrible. School does not care about its students and their best interests. There’s a lot of changes and transitions going on in the school maybe all this might lead up to bettering the school but currently it’s a **** show. You are much better off going to a school such as NYCPM with higher board stats. Have friends in NYCPM and their response about the school is much better than Barry kids feelings towards their school.