Barry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richard7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know anything about Barry, that would make it stand out from the other schools? opportunities, internships, fellowships, research, outlook, rumors, new facilities, students, etc... good and bad stuff

Members don't see this ad.

This is a great summary. I do not go to Barry but I am currently with two Barry externs. They have stated that Barry is very divided. By that I mean students are not looking to help anyone but themselves or a few friends. Not things like this can very from class to class, but they felt it maybe due to most students want the same residency programs in FL and the faculty has accepted this type of environment.

Also, since they are not pushing journal reading, some of the power point presentations on various clinical topics that the students were studying and showing me were either wrong or out dated.

Again, I don't go there but maybe Feli can confirm or deny these things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Feli...I got an interview at Barry but am debating whether to kick out the money and go down for it (from Philly and have one at Temple and NYCPM as well). I had a few questions...

1.) If you get a scholarship at another school, you just tell Barry this (assuming you are accepted) and the just simply match it?
2.) Do you know anyone doing the dual DPM/MBA program? You take it while your doing normal DPM classes? What is your opinion of such a program and Barry's take on it as well?
3.) From what I've been trying to research, 5-6 externships seems to be a lot. Do most students try to stay in the area or really go across the country? (ps - stupid question - what is CRIPS?)
4.) Is the new facilities being built seem to be a big boost for the campus, faculty, students? Will everything take place in this new building?
5.) Is their on campus housing for students or is it all find your own around the area? If so, recommend any areas?
If theres any other insight you can add besides what you wrote, it would be appreciated.

PS - Know of any close hotels for staying at if I interview? When I do travelocity and others, everything is right on the beach like 15+ miles from the school.

Feli...I got an interview at Barry but am debating whether to kick out the money and go down for it (from Philly and have one at Temple and NYCPM as well). I had a few questions...

1.) If you get a scholarship at another school, you just tell Barry this (assuming you are accepted) and the just simply match it?
2.) Do you know anyone doing the dual DPM/MBA program? You take it while your doing normal DPM classes? What is your opinion of such a program and Barry's take on it as well?
3.) From what I've been trying to research, 5-6 externships seems to be a lot. Do most students try to stay in the area or really go across the country? (ps - stupid question - what is CRIPS?)
4.) Is the new facilities being built seem to be a big boost for the campus, faculty, students? Will everything take place in this new building?

If theres any other insight you can add besides what you wrote, it would be appreciated.

I'd go with Temple or NYC. but if you have the money check out Barry.

The atmosphere at NY and temple is more friendly than barry.

... They have stated that Barry is very divided. By that I mean students are not looking to help anyone but themselves or a few friends. Not things like this can very from class to class, but they felt it maybe due to most students want the same residency programs in FL and the faculty has accepted this type of environment.

Also, since they are not pushing journal reading, some of the power point presentations on various clinical topics that the students were studying and showing me were either wrong or out dated.

Again, I don't go there but maybe Feli can confirm or deny these things.
The divided attitude depends on the class, but it also might have something to do with the vast ethnic diversity at Barry and in its pod program. It's like anyone is racist or culturally biased, but most people tend to fraternize, date, etc within their own ethnic group and people of similar backgrounds. Sociology and human behavior studies have shown that again and again. I could be wrong, though... even in pod programs like DMU or AZ that are nearly 100% Caucasian, I'm sure there are still cliques; that happens anywhere.

My Barry 09 class is pretty good. Of course not everyone gets along, but we have old material centralized to ensure fair access for everyone, we post class notes, and we have meetings, volunteer opportunities, etc for everyone. It's not like people hoard old tests or undercut eachother or anything that I've noticed.

As for the FL residencies, yes, a lot of Barry students compete over them annually. Who knows? Maybe my generally cooperative class will get all cloak-and-dagger during 4th year (I won't really know because I'll be up visiting northern programs)? I'm glad to hear that there are two Barry students up in PA at UPMC with you right now. When I looked at the c/o 2008's externship schedule, barely anyone was branching out... almost everyone was staying in FL, TX, or GA for most or all of their externships and only a small handful of Barry students were clerking at the historically high powered and big reputation New England and midwest programs. The only big name ones Barry's students seem to regularly try for are Orlando, Jacksonville, and JFK... and UTHC and Northlake (if those are still considered elite programs?). I think that the "Barry doesn't get you a good residency" stuff is just because most of the students here have historically picked a program based on geography moreso than quality. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but it creates a situation where even some of 2yr and less regarded ones, esp if they're in south Fla, still match and still get many Barry applications every year just because of strong student desire to stay in the south.

The divided attitude depends on the class, but it also might have something to do with the vast ethnic diversity at Barry and in its pod program. It's like anyone is racist or culturally biased, but most people tend to fraternize, date, etc within their own ethnic group and people of similar backgrounds. Sociology and human behavior studies have shown that again and again. I could be wrong, though... even in pod programs like DMU or AZ that are nearly 100% Caucasian, I'm sure there are still cliques; that happens anywhere.

My Barry 09 class is pretty good. Of course not everyone gets along, but we have old material centralized to ensure fair access for everyone, we post class notes, and we have meetings, volunteer opportunities, etc for everyone. It's not like people hoard old tests or undercut eachother or anything that I've noticed.

As for the FL residencies, yes, a lot of Barry students compete over them annually. Who knows? Maybe my generally cooperative class will get all cloak-and-dagger during 4th year (I won't really know because I'll be up visiting northern programs)? I'm glad to hear that there are two Barry students up in PA at UPMC with you right now. When I looked at the c/o 2008's externship schedule, barely anyone was branching out... almost everyone was staying in FL, TX, or GA for most or all of their externships and only a small handful of Barry students were clerking at the historically high powered and big reputation New England and midwest programs. The only big name ones Barry's students seem to regularly try for are Orlando, Jacksonville, and JFK... and UTHC and Northlake (if those are still considered elite programs?). I think that the "Barry doesn't get you a good residency" stuff is just because most of the students here have historically picked a program based on geography moreso than quality. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but it creates a situation where even some of 2yr and less regarded ones, esp if they're in south Fla, still match and still get many Barry applications every year just because of strong student desire to stay in the south.

I think that classes not talking may also be a reason why Barry students don't branch out. They are not getting feedback about programs or hearing where to go and where not to go. As for cliques at other schools, I agree you have groups but DMU is pretty good about commodore but I think that is due to the close relationships we have with our faculty.

By the way, if you are looking at Jacksonville while it is improving they have hit a serious roadblock. According to a OCPM extern, one of the third year residents from last year didn't have enough numbers to graduate.

It's not like we don't have feedback on other programs, it's just that not many students here want to go north no matter how good a program is. We have great programs like Regions, PSL, UMDNJ, etc coming down for our residency fair on Saturday, but most people probably haven't even heard of them because they're not in Fla or TX. It's just personal preference I guess...

...By the way, if you are looking at Jacksonville while it is improving they have hit a serious roadblock. According to a OCPM extern, one of the third year residents from last year didn't have enough numbers to graduate.
I'm not^... but probably over half my classmates will be. I have heard the same things about the good pod cases there getting taken by ortho and numbers a bit sketchy for RF. Like I said, I'm gonna let others duke it out over the Florida ones; I like Florida but want to branch out after graduation :D

If I can get the externships I want when I want, this is how it'll go for me next year:

May - Northlake
June - various Michigan programs for a week or so each (StJoes, Botsford, Kern, Pontiac, etc?)
July - DMC
Aug - West Penn (and maybe visit UPMC for a couple days)
Sept - home month in Miami clinic
Oct - Beth Isreal (and maybe visit Man's Greatest Hospital for a couple days)
Nov - Presby (and maybe visit Inova for a couple days)
Dec - home month in Miami clinic

I'm not... but probably over half my classmates will be. I'm gonna let them duke it out over the Florida ones like I said :D

If I can get the externships I want when I want, this is how it'll go for me:

May - Northlake
June - various Michigan programs for a week or so (StJoes, Botsford, Kern, Pontiac, etc)
July - DMC
Aug - West Penn (and maybe visit UPMC for a couple days)
Sept - home month in Miami clinic
Oct - Beth Isreal (and maybe visit Man's Greatest Hospital for a couple days)
Nov - Presby (and maybe visit Inova for a couple days)
Dec - home month in Miami clinic

I would switch West Penn for UPMC and visit West Penn. I have friends there now, the externships is not the great but UPMC gives you a ton of educational programs. Also, West Penn has a lot less surgical cases (lots of double and triple scrubs) which I am sure are important to you. There is no conest UPMC is far better. West Penn is more of a name now.

I would say the same for Northlake. I don't know of one person that felt that it was worth the time. They are also just a name. I would look at Grant, Jewish Medical (the new program in Lousiville), or maybe OSU. While in Michigan, I have heard good things from Oakwood and North Shore. Just my two cents.

I would switch West Penn for UPMC and visit West Penn. I have friends there now, the externships is not the great but UPMC gives you a ton of educational programs. Also, West Penn has a lot less surgical cases (lots of double and triple scrubs) which I am sure are important to you. There is no conest UPMC is far better. West Penn is more of a name now.

I would say the same for Northlake. I don't know of one person that felt that it was worth the time. They are also just a name. I would look at Grant, Jewish Medical (the new program in Lousiville), or maybe OSU. While in Michigan, I have heard good things from Oakwood and North Shore. Just my two cents.
I appreciate the advice. As I said, info on northern programs is hard to come by here since there is just not much Barry student interest or experience. Jonwill's co-resident at DMC did all of his externships in MI last year, but he was an exception to the rule just as I will be in terms of a Barry student's residency program interest. Yes, I've heard great things about StJohns North Shore. I forgot that one but will have to stop by for sure durning my "month off" lol. That schedule is all tentative until externship apps are approved. I will be driving a lot, so they have to line up correct or I wil have to shuffle and change things up...

I have the open house at West Penn later this month and will get a good look there. The residency fair this weekend should also help since both West PEnn and UPMC programs will be presenting. I like West Penn's literature and focus on academics from what I've read so far.

As for Northlake, yes... students here at Barry have told me I'm crazy also, but I just have to see what it's all about given the history. So many of our profession's leaders came from there that it can't be all bad. I also like how many of them stay involved in education and training. My surgery teacher is PI faculty and said the move to Dekalb will help improve the program and centralize their cases... we'll see. Thanks again for your advice... I'm sure virtually any DMU-ers know a lot more on the midwest programs than I do right now.

I appreciate the advice. As I said, info on northern programs is hard to come by here since there is just not much Barry student interest or experience. Jonwill's co-resident at DMC did all of his externships in MI last year, but he was an exception to the rule just as I will be in terms of a Barry student's residency program interest. Yes, I've heard great things about StJohns North Shore. I forgot that one but will have to stop by for sure durning my "month off" lol. That schedule is all tentative until externship apps are approved. I will be driving a lot, so they have to line up correct or I wil have to shuffle and change things up...

I have the open house at West Penn later this month and will get a good look there. The residency fair this weekend should also help since both West PEnn and UPMC programs will be presenting. I like West Penn's literature and focus on academics from what I've read so far.

As for Northlake, yes... students here at Barry have told me I'm crazy also, but I just have to see what it's all about given the history. So many of our profession's leaders came from there that it can't be all bad. I also like how many of them stay involved in education and training. My surgery teacher is PI faculty and said the move to Dekalb will help improve the program and centralize their cases... we'll see. Thanks again for your advice... I'm sure virtually any DMU-ers know a lot more on the midwest programs than I do right now.

From my two weeks here, we have done more academics than my classmate at West Penn right now. One more thing is that they place their priority on clinic. If a cases is in the OR, people must cover clinic first. Also, if you want to see UPMC literature, a lot of it is in ortho b/c they are part of the UPMC ortho department. Look for Wukich, he is the foot and ankle orthopod.

I was just at NYCPM the other week and they had their residency fair. One of the big ones students seemed to like a lot who externed there was the Highlands-Presbyterian / St. Lukes in Denver CO. Said it was highly surgical and the Dr. who represented them was very nice. I also spoke with a 2nd year resident representitive from St. Vincent from Worcester, MA who said it was a very relaxed, good experience/atmosphere externship for something as a change of pace. Additionally, spoke with the DeKalb Northlake one which seemed good but is already known to you southern people. Other top ones students spoke about were the Yale and Swedish ones.

Though I am only a pre-pod at this point, I am trying to learn all that i can about the whole process and the externships that I may be interested in (high surgical and going throughout the country). Take whatever I say for what its worth. May want to research yourself.

I think that classes not talking may also be a reason why Barry students don't branch out. They are not getting feedback about programs or hearing where to go and where not to go. As for cliques at other schools, I agree you have groups but DMU is pretty good about commodore but I think that is due to the close relationships we have with our faculty.

By the way, if you are looking at Jacksonville while it is improving they have hit a serious roadblock. According to a OCPM extern, one of the third year residents from last year didn't have enough numbers to graduate.

That was his own fault for not showing up to cases and generally not caring. He was going for minimal numbers not as many cases as he could get. I talked to him about this when I was an extern. I did not enjoy that program, but I do not think that in general they have trouble getting there numbers. The program has the potential to be a great program but you'd have to avoid all the nails for that to happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just at NYCPM the other week and they had their residency fair. One of the big ones students seemed to like a lot who externed there was the Highlands-Presbyterian / St. Lukes in Denver CO. Said it was highly surgical and the Dr. who represented them was very nice. I also spoke with a 2nd year resident representitive from St. Vincent from Worcester, MA who said it was a very relaxed, good experience/atmosphere externship for something as a change of pace. Additionally, spoke with the DeKalb Northlake one which seemed good but is already known to you southern people. Other top ones students spoke about were the Yale and Swedish ones.

Though I am only a pre-pod at this point, I am trying to learn all that i can about the whole process and the externships that I may be interested in (high surgical and going throughout the country). Take whatever I say for what its worth. May want to research yourself.

PSL is definitely worth an externship. I learned so much there. Tons of reading and presentations be the students and the residents. Lots of pimping. Little clinic. tons of surgeries.

That was his own fault for not showing up to cases and generally not caring. He was going for minimal numbers not as many cases as he could get. I talked to him about this when I was an extern. I did not enjoy that program, but I do not think that in general they have trouble getting there numbers. The program has the potential to be a great program but you'd have to avoid all the nails for that to happen.

I agree the potential is there with the relationship w/ ortho, sports med, ect. I also heard that it was mainly that residents fault but as the director they cannot let that happen b/c it hurts the programs rep.

PSL is definitely worth an externship. I learned so much there. Tons of reading and presentations be the students and the residents. Lots of pimping. Little clinic. tons of surgeries.
I too was very very impressed with PSL.^

They were represented at our residency fair today by one of their attendings who is a Barry grad, and it seems like a fantastic program top to bottom. It sounds like both academics and surgical volume are great...
http://highlandspsl.com/

My only concern was the lack of other residencies in the area and consequent opportunities for CMEs, grand rounds, conferences, etc. However, with as many good attendings, residents, and externs as they have around, I don't think it'd be a problem at all. Denver is so far off of my route for other likely externships, but I might try to find a way to at least visit the program for a couple days.

What did you do, Sam? Fly out there and rent a car for the month?

So, is this like an allo/osteo residency option? Can you either be a internist podiatrist or surgeon podiatrist?

So, is this like an allo/osteo residency option? Can you either be a internist podiatrist or surgeon podiatrist?
Not as much anymore. With the old residency models (or further back when some grads didn't get a residency at all), some grads didn't get surgical training. You certainly have a lot of pods out there who don't do surgery. They just see patients a clinic and refer to others for their patients in whom conservative treatments fail and surgery is indicated.

With the new residency models, all grads will take a 24mo or 36mo PMS (podiatric medicine and surgery) residency. The 24 will give you enough cases to let you be qualified for forefoot (bunions, hammertoes, etc) board exams, and the 36mo will let you get exposure to rearfoot also (heel, ankle, flatfoot procedures, arthrodesis, etc). By the time the students entering now graduates, all residencies will probably be 3yr programs, and there will also be more and more fellowship opportunities.

With everyone getting surgical training, that's a good and a bad thing. Some residencies are a lot better for surgery and have higher volume, so their grads will, err at least should, be better in the OR. Almost nobody who can do a surgery will want to refer out for it, though, so you will probably end up with most guys doing 3-4 days of clinic per week and 1-2 days of surgery. Chances are that a few people, esp ones who finish a shorter residency training, will choose to be non-surgical pods, though. There are advantages to that as well: better hours, less malpractice risks, as good or better $ than surgery if you know how to bill (esp wound care), typically less follow-up, risk of bad outcome, and pain for the patient with conservative care as opposed to surgery.

Basically, you want to get the best training you can. You don't have to use all of it, but you at least want to get exposure to all of the options that are out there and then choose to utilize what you think is best for your patients.

I too was very very impressed with PSL.^

They were represented at our residency fair today by one of their attendings who is a Barry grad, and it seems like a fantastic program top to bottom. It sounds like both academics and surgical volume are great...
http://highlandspsl.com/

My only concern was the lack of other residencies in the area and consequent opportunities for CMEs, grand rounds, conferences, etc. However, with as many good attendings, residents, and externs as they have around, I don't think it'd be a problem at all. Denver is so far off of my route for other likely externships, but I might try to find a way to at least visit the program for a couple days.

What did you do, Sam? Fly out there and rent a car for the month?

Yes. 4th year is very expensive but it is an investment in the rest of your life as well as your patient's care for the future. I flew to Denver and rented a car for the month. Try to rent the car at least 1-2 days after arriving in denver to avoid the travel tax on the rental car. It will save you $100's more or less. It is like 11% of the total cost if you rent the car the day that you fly in. Then I went to Greeley for the next month. PSL paid for housing. Greeley I stayed with the resident for $400.

Do not worry about not having other residencies around for PSL. Once a month they conference call with Samuel Mendicino's program in Houston and have an online presentation between the residents. Then the oppisite program's attendings pimp the residents on the cases that were presented. Every monday is Journal club - read an entire journal every week. Thursdays are resident and student presentations or radiology conference. And they support the residents presenting posters at ACFAS or other conferences. Research is required there.

after being accepted to barry, how long does one have till he/she have to pay the unrefundable fee?

ok, this is coming from a first year Barry student-

I've been here only for about a month and a half, and obviously I'm not as experienced as Feli, but here's what I've experienced at Barry so far.
My class is totally diverse but we're not in anyway ethnically divided at all. I can tell you that we always hang out and socialize before and after classes, no matter what ethnic group you are in. It could be different in other classes here, but everyone hangs out with everyone else- sure, there are groups of people that you see hang out with each other all the time, but everyone is so friendly to everyone else.
And I can't disagree more with comment said about how people in the Barry program are on their own. This is not true for my class- it's kinda like a motto for us, that we want to see as many people graduate from the program as how many ever came in. We really do help each other along the way with notes, lectures, study guides, anything. It really isn't a competition here, I can tell you that with all honesty.
The older students are CRAZY HELPFUL- at times I heard some of the second years can be brutally mean, but from my experience, if you go up and talk to someone, they'll let you know what their own personal experience was and what you can do. The teachers are great- most of the time they're friendly and WANT to know what's going on with you. I've just learned to show up to classes and don't piss them off.
I've heard Barry been dissed here and there by a lot of schools and I honestly don't see why. We have a very good and challenging program, I just think that they let in people who expect podiatry school to be easier than it really is. We don't have a great board passing rate like in the past, so the teachers are now changing their lectures.
I think the Barry program is great- if you're planning to come to barry though, all I have to say is that you HAVE to exercise self-control, as I've learned in the past month. It's not college anymore, you HAVE to show up to classes and there will be many times that you won't get to go out on the weekends even though people in your class are. It's hard being in Miami to not want to go out and explore.

sorry if I sound a little biased, but I am! I think Barry is amazing :D

zmeflyby, you might want to contact the program office for that information. Try the Graduate Medical Sciences office- Phone number: 305-899-3249, Toll-free: 1-800-756-6000, ext. 3249

ok, this is coming from a first year Barry student-

I've been here only for about a month and a half, and obviously I'm not as experienced as Feli, but here's what I've experienced at Barry so far.
My class is totally diverse but we're not in anyway ethnically divided at all. I can tell you that we always hang out and socialize before and after classes, no matter what ethnic group you are in. It could be different in other classes here, but everyone hangs out with everyone else- sure, there are groups of people that you see hang out with each other all the time, but everyone is so friendly to everyone else.
And I can't disagree more with comment said about how people in the Barry program are on their own. This is not true for my class- it's kinda like a motto for us, that we want to see as many people graduate from the program as how many ever came in. We really do help each other along the way with notes, lectures, study guides, anything. It really isn't a competition here, I can tell you that with all honesty.
The older students are CRAZY HELPFUL- at times I heard some of the second years can be brutally mean, but from my experience, if you go up and talk to someone, they'll let you know what their own personal experience was and what you can do. The teachers are great- most of the time they're friendly and WANT to know what's going on with you. I've just learned to show up to classes and don't piss them off.
I've heard Barry been dissed here and there by a lot of schools and I honestly don't see why. We have a very good and challenging program, I just think that they let in people who expect podiatry school to be easier than it really is. We don't have a great board passing rate like in the past, so the teachers are now changing their lectures.
I think the Barry program is great- if you're planning to come to barry though, all I have to say is that you HAVE to exercise self-control, as I've learned in the past month. It's not college anymore, you HAVE to show up to classes and there will be many times that you won't get to go out on the weekends even though people in your class are. It's hard being in Miami to not want to go out and explore.

sorry if I sound a little biased, but I am! I think Barry is amazing :D

zmeflyby, you might want to contact the program office for that information. Try the Graduate Medical Sciences office- Phone number: 305-899-3249, Toll-free: 1-800-756-6000, ext. 3249

thats some good info you got there.

thanks

Is it better to live on campus or off? I was looking around and it seems like its cheaper to live off campus.

Is it better to live on campus or off? I was looking around and it seems like its cheaper to live off campus.

I think living off campus with any Florida school will be cheaper... but trust me traffic can get really bad especially in mia. If your going to live off campus I think it might be cheaper to live in broward rather then Miami-Dade... it all depends though, also try to find out about the reputation of each apartment/building you want to live in (if it has a constant history of the AC being out or having poor up keep, you will be hurting!)

It's hard being in Miami to not want to go out and explore.

yea, I can see what you mean... well, unless you've lived in south florida your whole life hehe, I can't even remember the last time I went to the beach (think it's been 4 or 5 months and it's a rock throw away)

I'd say it's almost certainly cheaper to live on campus at Barry if you are living alone. The rate is certainly higher, but you have to consider the whole picture.

Sure, ~$5k per semester ($1250/month) seems like a lot, but most people don't realize that price includes meal plan, all bills (AC, electric, etc), ethernet internet connection, a land line phone connection, gym and pool right on campus, etc. As was mentioned, gas and driving here is not cheap either. Especially for the first couple years when you're in classes or studying on campus 5-7 days per week anyways, not having to drive much saves you quite a bit in expenses and significant miles on the car. Especially on the days with a lengthy break between classes, it's nice to be able to take a nap or relax in your residence hall.

Living off campus might be a bit cheaper if you have roommates, but it really varies a lot based on the condo/apt place you choose. If you want roommates, family, or have a ton of furniture, then off campus is your definite choice.

I'd say it's almost certainly cheaper to live on campus at Barry if you are living alone. The rate is certainly higher, but you have to consider the whole picture.

Sure, ~$5k per semester ($1250/month) seems like a lot, but most people don't realize that price includes meal plan, all bills (AC, electric, etc), ethernet internet connection, a land line phone connection, gym and pool right on campus, etc. As was mentioned, gas and driving here is not cheap either. Especially for the first couple years when you're in classes or studying on campus 5-7 days per week anyways, not having to drive much saves you quite a bit in expenses and significant miles on the car. Especially on the days with a lengthy break between classes, it's nice to be able to take a nap or relax in your residence hall.

Living off campus might be a bit cheaper if you have roommates, but it really varies a lot based on the condo/apt place you choose. If you want roommates, family, or have a ton of furniture, then off campus is your definite choice.

Hey Feli thanks for the info, got a few questions, hope it's not too many heh

do they have separate residence halls for grads? also can you use the pool/gym even if you don't live on campus?

are there different styles of living ex: suites, apartments, traditionals etc...?

What about couples (engaged/married) do they have special apartments, or do they just put them in the singles apartment?

do they have RAs (resident advisor/assistants)?

Hey Feli thanks for the info, got a few questions, hope it's not too many heh

do they have separate residence halls for grads? also can you use the pool/gym even if you don't live on campus?

are there different styles of living ex: suites, apartments, traditionals etc...?

What about couples (engaged/married) do they have special apartments, or do they just put them in the singles apartment?

do they have RAs (resident advisor/assistants)?
Grad students are all in the same residence hall; it's Benicassa I believe (might be some in Kolasa too?). They have RAs just like all the halls do; all of the current rooms for grad students are all singles. This 07-08 was the first year they offered campus housing to grad students, so it's kinda a test year and still a work in progress.

There are no special rooms/apts for couples (grad or undergrad); you'd have to find a place off campus. I don't know if grad students can request and get a double room with same sex roomate(s) or not; undergrads can, of course. It's a catholic university, so even for double/triple suites and rooms, there's no way you'd ever get a guy/girl combo together as roommates because the univ wouldn't allow it.

For full details on housing or any other questions, you could call the dept I work in, Barry Res Life, 305-899-3875.

Feli:

Do you think applying in November to Barry will be too late?

Thanks for the info:thumbup: That's certainly something to take into consideration.

I saw a nice 1 bedroom on Barry's website for $750 a month. It supposed to be close by the school. I originally wanted to live on campus, but if near by places are that cheap I'd prefer to live off campus.

So the meal plans are included if you live in on campus??? So the fee they list is for off campus then?

How do the grad housing look in the inside? Are they really small?