Basic "Lower-Tier Sciences" all that's required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rom73085

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After this spring I'll have completed all of the necessary prerequisites for med. school. Biology, Orgo, Gen Chem, Physics and all of the associating lab work. I also have completed one semester of A&P as well as a survey class on human diseases through the public health school here. My current GPA is a 3.5. Mind you this is all Post-Bacc. work since my undergrad that I earned in 2007 was in Econ. and Religion. I had no science classes then.

So my question then is, I have one more year at this institution since I am taking the MCAT in June. During this time, I am becoming involved in research however I am trying to decide on what classes I should take. Should I take higher level science classes, Microbio, genetics, biochemistry, cell bio, etc. even if I risk getting a B and bringing my GPA lower? I don't want Med. schools to say, you haven't taken any higher level course work. However, at the same time, I don't want to risk bringing my GPA down just to put a few extra classes under my belt.

Here is what Thomas Jefferson U. Med school states:

"Students may take upper level science courses out of educational interest or to fulfill the requirements of their major. Taking additional science courses that cover material taught within the medical school curriculum is not useful to gain admission..."

Thoughts, opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

As much as I want to take these classes for my own "understanding" it's all a numbers game. 3.5/3.6 semi fair GPA. <3.5 = non-competitive.