Basic questions about hospital set ups in South Africa (especially Cape Town)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purpleman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a medical student in the UK looking to do an elective in Cape Town (South Africa). I am particularly looking for quite broad placement where I can get to grips with really practising my ability to do histories, examinations and formulate management plans as well as get to do lots of procedures. I will be in my final year of medical school when I go to elective.

Because of this, I was thinking of placements in: emergency (medical) or emergency (trauma) or general internal medicine. I was wondering if the following questions could be answered by anybody who has worked there:

1) If I apply for a trauma elective (that is primarily non-surgical) e.g., at Groote Shuur - will I only be clerking trauma victims in the ED or also get exposure to the medical patients too?

2) Is there a general medical ward at the Cape Town hospitals, and will I get to see a lot of acute things there and get to put in things like chest drains / do lumbar punctures? Or will all of that be done in medical emergency room / the respective specialty (for example, only respiratory doctors will put in chest drains)?

3) When hospitals say they have a medicine department - is that a general medical ward? or would I be placed in a sub-specialty like respiratory/cardiology etc.?

If anybody could advise me on the above or where would be a good place for me to do a placement, I'd much appreciate it. At the moment I'm looking at Groote Shuur, Somerset, Tygerberg and Victoria Hospitals. I only speak English, but I'm told there'll be enough for me to do there even if I happen to come across a lot of patients who speak Afrikaans.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I am also looking to do an away rotation in Cape Town. When are you looking to go? I am trying to also figure out how to set this up and where to stay and all that. I am trying to go in April 2015.

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if you could help me with some information. I am a South African citizen and want to come back to SA for my internship. I have applied with HPCSA and am awaiting their conformation by the board about weather i can take the exam and get registered. Does anyone know what this exam involves - is it based like USMLE - is it only a multiple choice exam or is there some practical part? I have asked HPCSA but they said they will only publish information about the exam like 1 month before and that hardly leaves a great deal of time to prepare.

Secondly, does anyone know what an intern earns in SA after tax? And lastly if you guys have any other details - whats it really like, is the experience good etc?

Thanks a million :)