Basic questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tahitian3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of the posts, but I still have some questions concerning the subspecialties of anesthesiology.

For example: 1. What, EXACTLY do doctors of each subspecialty (pain management, critical care, obstetrics, etc.) do? What distinguishes their roles?
2. Can an anesthesiologist do more than one thing (for example: sometimes work with surgery cases, sometimes do cancer pain management)?
3. Do the listed salaries for anesthesiologists (often seen on websites) stand true for ALL of the subspecialties or are there differences in salaries?

Thanks for your responses:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Without getting into the details of #1 (you can find descriptions on the internet), yes you can participate in multiple fields. You also do not have to do a fellowship in any of the subspecialties to practice them, although that may change in the future and most hospitals will want you to sit for the critical care boards in order to practice critical care there. The beauty of anesthesiology lies in its flexibility in many aspects.

Compensation does vary with subspecialty. Pain management is higher overall as are some of the more difficult subspecialties such as pediatric cardiovascular anesthesiology.

Hope that answers at least part of your questions.

the internet has billions of pages of info on this topic!

Thanks UT for your kind response. I appreciate YOUR words.