basic research experience or involved in a project?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desi0chick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've seen a few research threads lately and my question is are med schools looking for basic research experiences like working in a lab where someone washes petri dishes..etc or are they looking for someone who was actually involved in a project? I know the latter sure looks better, but would having a basic job/experience in a research lab suffice for acceptance to medschool?

Members don't see this ad.

Washing petri dishes is a job.

Working on a project, troubleshooting an experiment, analyzing results is research.

They want critical thinking.

Washing petri dishes is a job.

Working on a project, troubleshooting an experiment, analyzing results is research.

They want critical thinking.

:thumbup:

You should do research if it is something you want to do and is worth your time.

Research is not a requirement, but most applicants these days have it (and it is a HUGE advantage if you are aiming for the top tier). So, I would suggest looking for research opportunities. But don't go into it just looking for some obligatory check mark on your app. Find something that interests you and pursue that. It can be ANY type of research.

:thumbup:

You should do research if it is something you want to do and is worth your time.

Research is not a requirement, but most applicants these days have it (and it is a HUGE advantage if you are aiming for the top tier). So, I would suggest looking for research opportunities. But don't go into it just looking for some obligatory check mark on your app. Find something that interests you and pursue that. It can be ANY type of research.

You can get a job that initially involves washing petri dishes, but if you show enthusiasm and interest in their project, you'll have a shot at moving up. But don't make it obvious that you're only doing it for your resume/med school application. I've tormented/punished so many summer students/interns who say that openly at my lab to the point of actually kicking them out of my lab and not letting them work there for the rest of the summer. I don't want you if you're only doing it to fill out your application. Go get me some coffee if that's what you plan on doing.

OP, if you can't find research, don't worry. Talk to professors/TAs and ask them what options are available to you. Attend seminars/lectures that you find interesting and talk to the presenters about options. I had a guy give a lecture on miRNAs and cancer modulation and I spoke to the guy right after and I got a volunteer/no-pay position that moved to part time right after.