Basic Science or Clinical Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurdoc12345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search and people have said that both are equally good, but getting published in basic science research is better than clinical research, however it is easier and quicker to get published in clinical research.

My dilemma is that I have been offered to join a research team in basic science research in orthopedics, but since I only want to do it for the summer, I won't be able to start my own project and I will basically just assist the researchers when they conduct their experiments on subjects. This is a great opportunity as the research team is associated with my university hospital and its orthopedic residency, but I will definitely not be getting published.

So should I do this or look to do clinical research somewhere else and potentially get published, since there is no clinical research at my base hospital. Also, I can only do clinical research away from my school for 1 month, hard to explain, but our school has summer courses, so I will be far away for most of the summer from any hospital that is doing clinical research back in my hometown.

East Coast Love~

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure you can find clinical research at your university hospital. I would choose clinical research since there is a good chance of getting published than working in a basic science lab.

I agree with Beats. Clinical research is generally much easier to publish than basic science research. My advice would be to find an advisor who already has a database or at least IRB approval on a project. If a database already exists, you just have to come up with an interesting question and do some data mining. It may not be published in NEJM but it is a great way to get your feet in the research field and potentially get a quick publication.