Basic science research in unrelated field during MS1 summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillaxbro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to do anesthesia

I ****ed up and waited too long to look for summer positions

I may go back to my undergrad lab and do basic science research but it has nothing to do with anesthesia. I MIGHT be able to spin it into heme/onc since it involves blood but it's in mice.

Is it worth doing basic science research in an unrelated field just for the sake of having research on your application?

I dread thinking about doing bench research again but if it helps my CV, then I will suck it up and go do it.
Summer is only 8 weeks long anyway. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, you got in?! :D

Honestly, I'm doing research over the summer right now but it's not necessarily by choice. If I had it my way, I would be playing video games until 4AM tonight instead of sleeping at a reasonable time to start the work week in 8 hours. I kinda regret not giving myself a break after a hellish first year. So there's my perspective. I dunno about the future effects for your career though, somebody else has to take that one.

Reactions: 1 user
The problem with basic research is the majority of projects take a long time to yield results (compared to clinical etc). Anesthesiology isn't super competitive where it requires a ton of research (my friend got in with none actually). Not saying research won't help you - it definitely would be a plus. But don't freak out because you didn't get an anesthesia only project. My advice is not to do basic research just bc you think it looks good... especially if you hate the project. If you really are dead set on anesthesia, do some case reports third year on easy rotations or look for clinical research projects later.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with basic research is the majority of projects take a long time to yield results (compared to clinical etc). Anesthesiology isn't super competitive where it requires a ton of research (my friend got in with none actually). Not saying research won't help you - it definitely would be a plus. But don't freak out because you didn't get an anesthesia only project. My advice is not to do basic research just bc you think it looks good... especially if you hate the project. If you really are dead set on anesthesia, do some case reports third year on easy rotations or look for clinical research projects later.
What if I were to get a publication?

I did some work during my pre-med years and they told me I would be first author whenever it's finished, although I haven't heard a thing from them since I left a year ago. If I go back I might be able to finish it and get something published, assuming they haven't changed their minds yet.

Now the question is, is a publication in an unrelated field worth anything?

What if I were to get a publication?

I did some work during my pre-med years and they told me I would be first author whenever it's finished, although I haven't heard a thing from them since I left a year ago. If I go back I might be able to finish it and get something published, assuming they haven't changed their minds yet.

Now the question is, is a publication in an unrelated field worth anything?
Yes, any publication is worth a lot (assuming it's in a credible journal). Many program directors also recognize that there are differences between the time it takes to complete projects. I.e., they may respect basic science pubs even in unrelated fields because they take more time and effort and it usually shows a longstanding dedication to research. Case reports are fine and all, but if the only thing on your CV is two case reports thrown in at the end of M3, they will know you were just trying to throw some things together last minute for your CV. Keep in mind, I'm not saying don't do case reports, but they don't carry the weight of research papers.

Doing research in general is a great way to network as well, even if you don't get a publication or it is on a topic not related to anesthesia.