basic science tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it differs from school to school, but in general, what are tests like during the first year of med school? I mean, are they more analytical (e.g. ?If a patient came to you with such and such a condition??) Or do you just have to regurgitate information, (e.g. ?The nerve that innervates such and such a muscle is???)

Members don't see this ad.

They are trying to move to more analytical but there is currently alot of needing to memorize something straight out of the notes. You binge by cramming all this information into your head and then purge it out onto the test.

At my school, we had a mixture of clinical vignettes and knowledge type questions. Questions were multiple choice (always A-E), matching, fill in the blank, or essay. I would say 20-35% of the questions were double jump questions.

In my opinion, some of our tests were harder to me than the MCAT was! However, you had a better chance on it since it was stuff you just learned.

At my school, we have tests that have multiple choice and short answer questions, some of which are arranged as part of clinical vignettes. The exams are every few weeks, which I have found to be a pretty good interval so as to not get too loaded up on information, while also not having tests too frequently.