MD Basic years vs Clinical years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MO_Sawa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the pressure that i'm getting exposed to in my first semster of the second year, and where my top aim now is just to finish it with a good GPA, I started to wonder actually; How far does my performance in basic (preclinical) years will determine how good i'll be in clincal years and beyond (in residency programs and so on)?

Basically, my medschool here does everything except making sure that I gain proper knowledge for the next years, in a way that I don't care about what I learn anymore, I care about memorizing it and doing good in my exam to survive like other, cramming the night before the exam and stacking loads of info in my short term memory just to forget them all right after the exam ends, like seriously, in this level, am I supposed to memorize these subjects without even thinking about what I'm memorizing? Am I required only (in these basic years) to know certain headnotes and principles without the easily forgottable-after-exam details? is it only my clinical performance and what's beyond that matters for my future job? Like, I don't think so in this basic level that I can (in future) make use in of something I memorize only in my short term memory, espeicially very detailed information..

Oh and yes by the way another question, I'm actually an international student relatively to this forums (not from / studying in the US), and I heard a lot about the preclinical years in the US and maybe in other countries being only a pass / fail system, but what am I curious about is that: for non-US medical schools (like mine), if they adopt pass fail system for basic years, would that really affect its ACCM(Accreditation Commission of Colleges of Medicine) (i.e will it lose its ACCM)?

Members don't see this ad.

My preclinical years and step 1 were terrible. I am considered to be above average/ahead of where I should be by my program. YMMV

Reactions: 2 users
I see, what about the ACCM thing? is it true?
Oh and yes by the way another question, I'm actually an international student relatively to this forums (not from / studying in the US), and I heard a lot about the preclinical years in the US and maybe in other countries being only a pass / fail system, but what am I curious about is that: for non-US medical schools (like mine), if they adopt pass fail system for basic years, would that really affect its ACCM(Accreditation Commission of Colleges of Medicine) (i.e will it lose its ACCM)?