Basics 2.0: The Hubris of the Champions - Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Animal Midwife

perpetually confused
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mechanics
10 villagers
2 wolves
The roles are as follows, with no regard paid to affiliation:
  • Night 3 macho affiliation seer
  • Night 1, 4 1x ninja protector
  • Night 2, 3 regretful tracker
  • Night 2 delayed watcher
  • Night 3 babysitter
  • Night 2 vigilante
  • Night 2, 3 loyal jailkeeper
  • Night 1, 3 1x strongarm roleblocker
  • Night 2 busdriver
  • Even Day super saint
  • Night 2,3,4 JOAT (Babysitter, Tracker, Role Blocker)
  • Night 1,2,3 JOAT (Watcher, Jailkeeper, Bus Driver)
Rules
  • Village is allowed to No Lynch once. Wolves are allowed to No Kill once.
  • Once majority is hit, the lynch is over for the day. You may still post on the thread during night time.
  • During Lynch or Lose, you are allowed ONE change in vote, but majority rules still apply.
Deadline
  • The deadline shall be 10 am/pm EDT. If the game is still proceeding on Saturday, the game will transition to a close at 1 pm for day, and 2 pm for night, 6 pm for day and 7 pm for night, and 10 pm for day.
PM
  • You may pm with the person above you on the roster. You may say as much as you want in this pm, but the other person cannot respond. This includes likes. Transversely, if someone is pming you by being below you on the roster, you may not respond to them. I would love to lurk in on these btw.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Abilities
Affiliation seer - determines whether a player is village or wolf
Babysitter - protected player dies if they die
Bus Driver - switches actions performed on two players
Jailkeeper - blocks and protects a player
Protector - protects against kills
Roleblocker - blocks a player
Super Saint - kills the majority vote player when hammered
Tracker - views whom a player is interacting with
Vigilante - kills a player
Watcher - views who's interacting with the player

Modifiers
Delayed - results are received following night cycle
Loyal - cannot work on a wolf
Macho - cannot be protected
Ninja - cannot be tracked/watched
Regretful - dies when target dies
Strongarm - cannot be blocked/protected against

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it like last game where only affiliations are announced at death? Do we receive notification of actions or no?

Looks like all actions are over n4. Prob should mass claim whenever things aren't looking good or d5 (would have to do the math to see if a d5 claim is even possible with this set up)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does cubs get to message me or no?

Is it like last game where only affiliations are announced at death? Do we receive notification of actions or no?

Looks like all actions are over n4. Prob should mass claim whenever things aren't looking good or d5 (would have to do the math to see if a d5 claim is even possible with this set up)
Honestly the claims need to happen earlier to be effective. I think @dyachei was saying in DVC like D3? It seems problematic considering our pool of people is so small. I don't think a D5 reveal is possible because it'd likely be lylo.

12 people (do wolves get an kill N0? I feel like that's weird but we're starting on a night so probably. Makes me feel like when STL manipulated the mods during telonovo to get a N0 action)

N0/D1 - 10 people
N1/D2 - 8 people
N2/D3 - 5 people (with vig)
N3/D4 - 3 people (end N4 max)
Conclusion: D3 at the latest I think otherwise they'll be no one left.

I think everyone should reveal target, results and reasoning before lynched (after vote is pretty well secured but before lynch end)

Do we have hammer votes and majority here?

Honestly the claims need to happen earlier to be effective. I think @dyachei was saying in DVC like D3? It seems problematic considering our pool of people is so small. I don't think a D5 reveal is possible because it'd likely be lylo.

12 people (do wolves get an kill N0? I feel like that's weird but we're starting on a night so probably. Makes me feel like when STL manipulated the mods during telonovo to get a N0 action)

N0/D1 - 10 people
N1/D2 - 8 people

I think everyone should reveal target, results and reasoning before lynched (after vote is pretty well secured but before lynch end)

I figured it was earlier. I was just too lazy to do the math.

and yeah rules say majority

Wait, so as soon as majority lynch happens, all voting stops? This eliminates lots of dynamics (like waffling or people being able to defend themselves if they're in the lead). :scared:

Last edited:
Wait, so as soon as majority lynch happens, all voting stops? This eliminates lots of dynamics. :scared:

Yes and day will close so be careful when you're voting

Reactions: 1 users
Yes and day will close so be careful when you're voting
Good morning. :)

Are we alive?

Edited to Add: And oof, I can just imagine someone's away from the game for a couple hours, and they get the majority lynch vote, then they're like "No waaait, I'm the seer/angel/whatever." Welp. :naughty:

Last edited:

Are we alive?

Edited to Add: And oof, I can just imagine someone's away from the game for a couple hours, and they get the majority lynch vote, then they're like "No waaait, I'm the seer/angel/whatever." Welp. :naughty:
Doesn't matter - roles were assigned independent of affiliation.

I'd suggest reading the intro post closely.

Are we alive?

That's why there's some care taken with when we vote :nod:

N0/D1 - 10 people
N1/D2 - 8 people

It starts on night 1, not sure what this night0 bizness is :p.

Day 2- day 3 should ideally be the reveal point. The issue with doing so though, is that if the affiliation seer is still alive, it isolates them, and they can’t be protected. The game was designed to make it so there is no perfect time for everyone to role reveal.

Doesn't matter - roles were assigned independent of affiliation.
That's not what I meant. I was just saying that if someone who is a villager is about to be lynched as a suspected wolf, it's then too late for that person to offer any defense to change the lynch mob's mind. I think the sudden death dynamics almost give villagers a disadvantage, but I've never played a game like this before.

That's not what I meant. I was just saying that if someone who is a villager is about to be lynched as a suspected wolf, it's then too late for that person to offer any defense to change the lynch mob's mind. I think the sudden death dynamics almost give villagers a disadvantage, but I've never played a game like this before.

Villagers are meant to have disadvantages from role perspectives and and mechanic perspectives in this game, because wolves have a disadvantage in terms of numbers perspectives in this game (2 wolves to 12 players).

If we hit 13 players, would have been 3 wolves and much more village friendly mechanics/roles. (Ie there are a lot of roles that can get villagers killed at night as extra kills).

Honestly, I'm happy I signed up for a speedy game, but this is a tad more complicated mechanically than a basics game, so that's a misnomer. Should be fun though!

Night[0], pronounced "Night naught." The naught-y night. The empty night.

Test: Night0 - I don't think SDN's added superscripts and subscripts yet with the upgrade, but I can't wait until they do. :horns:

Just realized as long as we follow the rule of PMing the person above us in the roster, there's:

1) Nothing stopping us from passing a message up the chain to get to the intended party (trust issues aside of course);
2) Nothing stopping us from playing a game of Telephone Pictionary (TP). Sentence! :p

I guess this works until somebody dies and breaks continuity.

Reactions: 1 users
Just realized as long as we follow the rule of PMing the person above us in the roster, there's:

1) Nothing stopping us from passing a message up the chain to get to the intended party (trust issues aside of course);
2) Nothing stopping us from playing a game of Telephone Pictionary (TP). Sentence! :p

I guess this works until somebody dies and breaks continuity.

The pming situation may have been inspired by telephone Pictionary discussions in dead chat a game or two ago

So we’re just waiting on wolves at this point? No village roles active N0?

When I wrote the game, I had anticipated it starting on night 1, aka three roles should have been able to work. AM may have made modifications to it since designing it, I mean she is the mod after all

There should still be an opportunity for people to defend.

You might also be surprised at how well the village can do even with extra death mechanics in play. There is less risk to revealing information if you know you might die anyways, so it's an incentive to play things a little more fast and loose, and my feeling is that kind of play style often helps village more than wolves (and is more fun anyways). Wolves can't kill everyone all at once, and there is some inherently village-weighted protection here with the loyal modifier.

Some of the roles themselves are also interesting in terms of the low wolf number. Not really something I want to elaborate on at the moment in case it affects game play, but... there will be some things that make wolves more apparent, I think, depending on which roles ended up on each side.

There should still be an opportunity for people to defend.

You might also be surprised at how well the village can do even with extra death mechanics in play. There is less risk to revealing information if you know you might die anyways, so it's an incentive to play things a little more fast and loose, and my feeling is that kind of play style often helps village more than wolves (and is more fun anyways). Wolves can't kill everyone all at once, and there is some inherently village-weighted protection here with the loyal modifier.

Some of the roles themselves are also interesting in terms of the low wolf number. Not really something I want to elaborate on at the moment in case it affects game play, but... there will be some things that make wolves more apparent, I think, depending on which roles ended up on each side.
Not sure how you interpreted the loyal thing but it seems pretty antivillage to me. A village jailer can't jail a wolf, defeating most of the roles utility imo

Not sure how you interpreted the loyal thing but it seems pretty antivillage to me. A village jailer can't jail a wolf, defeating most of the roles utility imo

Was meant to be mostly an anti village mechanic

Was meant to be mostly an anti village mechanic
I guess it could be helpful if you jail someone and they have a role and can still use it and say that. Then you know they've a wolf. But otherwise I don't see much utility.

Also that nk is lame sauce

Village is allowed to No Lynch once. Wolves are allowed to No Kill once.
I don't see the utility in wolves No Killing.
I see some minor utility in village voting, preferably earlier than not I would think. Dunno.

Interested in hearing people's thoughts who have played games with this mechanic in the past.

Pre-empting people: I'm not saying I'm in favor of No Lynching on D1, was just curious.

Does anyone have any information gleaned from Night 1 Fake Night 1? I'm all ears (human ears). :rolleyes:

Edited to Add: N0 closed at 11 AM EDT with a 12 PM EDT deadline. Does this mean there's some accuracy to say that the woofs may not have both participated in the thread up until ~11 AM, so we can try to SWAG who the two least active peeps are? Or would the woofs know this and thus artificially delay their vote until the last hour to throw us off the trail? (Is this WIFOM?)

Last edited:
Did you see my point before about not wanting to elaborate on some things in case it affects game play?
Sure
Does anyone have any information gleaned from Night 1 Fake Night 1? I'm all ears (human ears).

:rolleyes:
I'm just waiting for cubs to start whispering sweet nothings into my ear but thus far, radio silence

Edited to Add: N0 closed at 11 AM EDT with a 12 PM EDT deadline. Does this mean there's some accuracy to say that the woofs may not have both participated in the thread up until ~11 AM, so we can try to SWAG who the two least active peeps are? Or would the woofs know this and thus artificially delay their vote until the last hour to throw us off the trail? (Is this WIFOM?)
Ask @Navilly , he hasn't made a theory about early game activity yet ;)

( @Barkley13 )

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users