Basophilic stippling vs sideroblastic anemia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChessMaster3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read in some sources that basophilic stippling is a result of sideoblastic anemia. Is this always the case? Or can one have stippling without sideroblastic anemia?

Also, I odn't understand why alcohol causes sideroblastic and basophilic stippling--I know alcohol is a mitochondrial poison per pathoma, but how does that translate into these RBC forms?

thanks for any help

Members don't see this ad.

Off the top of my head, alcohol leads to sideroblastic anemia because it antagonizes PLP formation (cofactor for ALA synthase) and also because alcoholics tend to have bad diets.. so it's similar to alcoholism leading to thiamine deficiency.

Not sure about basophilic stippling without sideroblastic anemia though.

Off the top of my head, alcohol leads to sideroblastic anemia because it antagonizes PLP formation (cofactor for ALA synthase) and also because alcoholics tend to have bad diets.. so it's similar to alcoholism leading to thiamine deficiency.

Not sure about basophilic stippling without sideroblastic anemia though.

Sure, so if it was due to alcohols having a bad diet, what would be deficient that would cause the sideroblastic anemia? B6 (cofactor for alas??)