Dandine

7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2012
Status
Medical Student
This isn't the first time I've had an extracurricular conflict on here, but I decided to word it slightly differently. Basically, I'm going to be resuming volunteering and continuing research. Class-load wise, I will have mostly easier courses but also biochem (unless I drop it). So once again, it's a matter of figuring out which will be the most manageable extracurricular.

Based on this schedule, I am between the following options:

1: Work on leadsrship skills

2. Take hobby seriously...

3. Do both...but ditch all efforts to seek feedback on hobby

So...any ideas?

EDIT: question answered, thank you!

Last edited:
OP
Dandine

Dandine

7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for letting me know. Which forum section would I put this in, though? I thought that this was the main section for pre-med (allopathic) questions.

Lya

5+ Year Member
May 13, 2013
NY
Status
Medical Student
I would go with #1.

Considering the amount of time you will invest and the impact of #1 and 2 will give on your application, #1 seems to be more concrete and efficient.

OP
Dandine

Dandine

7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Whoops, sorry. I misplaced my post. I didn't realize I was in the school-specific discussions. Is there a way to move this to the pre-med allopathic forum?

MedMinded

MS3
Jul 13, 2013
www.medicalminded.com
Status
Medical Student
If you really enjoy #2, then I would say do both. It looks like #1 has more benefit from an application standpoint, but even basic hobbies on your application show that you're a well-rounded person. Since you say you enjoy #2 as a hobby, it would be something "fun" to do besides school and extracurricular obligations like the club. If you end up having an extra time to commit to #2, go for it and if not, at least you have a good time doing it.

OP
Dandine

Dandine

7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Bumping in case anyone is interested (since I accidentally put this on the wrong forum initially)...

Awesome Sauceome

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
In a pine tree
Status
Non-Student
It depends on what your other ECs are? Like are you at 14 and its between these guys?

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
Hobby, unless you do not show leadership anywhere else on your application. E hobby will stand out more and give you something interesting to chat about on interviews that you can show enthusiasm about.

OP
Dandine

Dandine

7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2012
Status
Medical Student
It depends on what your other ECs are? Like are you at 14 and its between these guys?
I wouldn't consider myself swamped with extracurriculars--honestly my schedule right now is on the "lighter" side. But to be more specific, the one I have for #1 would require a good amount of time commitment, whereas the other would be one where I could come and go at it as I please (unless I really want to improve/accomplish something). I could theoretically do both, but that would mean that the hobby couldn't take precedence.