Baylor: Being a business major puts you at a disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was talking to the admission center and Baylor today and they told me because I was a Business major - I am at a disadvantage compared to Biology majors....

So uh what do I do? I am planning on taking atleast 3 or so upper bio classes before I apply/take DAT next summer...

Would I be fine if I did well in the general pre-reqs (B's and A's)?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
If you do good in your pre-req's and on the DAT, you will seriously be just fine. The disadvantage they are talking about is probably from thinking that it will be harder for you to do well on the DAT without the classes that many bio majors have (which I also don't believe is true). Dental schools don't really care what your major is, just that you graduate with a Bachelors.

From what I've seen/heard, Baylor highly prefers Biology majors and those who have not been out of school for more than a single year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im a Psych major, Bio minor. Didnt even get an interview.
Baylor is one of the schools that are very particular about their classes.
They want Bio/heavy science majors or if you are another major, they want you to take pretty much all the "Suggested" courses.

What about the other 2 dental schools in texas, houston and san antonio?

What about the other 2 dental schools in texas, houston and san antonio?

Houston and SA are fine with other majors. Most of the class still consists of Biol major, but there are good number of other majors as well.

So what are my chances with baylor then assuming I have decent GPA and say ~20-21 on DAT when I take it?

There were 7 business majors accepted last year and 3 the year before. I would bet that those people had extensive upper level science classes beyond the general prereqs.

http://www.tambcd.edu/education/admissions/pdfs/newclassdata0809.pdf

BTW, Janet told me the current class of 2014 (as it stands now) has an average GPA of 3.6. That's siginificantly higher than the previous year. So, a "decent" GPA may not cut it anymore at Baylor. (depending on your definition of a decent GPA)

There were 7 business majors accepted last year and 3 the year before. I would bet that those people had extensive upper level science classes beyond the general prereqs.

http://www.tambcd.edu/education/admissions/pdfs/newclassdata0809.pdf

BTW, Janet told me the current class of 2014 (as it stands now) has an average GPA of 3.6. That's siginificantly higher than the previous year. So, a "decent" GPA may not cut it anymore at Baylor. (depending on your definition of a decent GPA)

I think you are mixing stats for 08 and 09 up...there were 3 business maj in 09 and 7 in 08...but how many business maj applied is the real question

I think you are mixing stats for 08 and 09 up...there were 3 business maj in 09 and 7 in 08...but how many business maj applied is the real question

Yeah you're right, I was looking at it wrong. So it went down from 08 to 09.

Yeah you're right, I was looking at it wrong. So it went down from 08 to 09.

yeah but then again you dont know how many business majs are applying per school

I dont know a single person that is going dental @ my school that is not bio (or chem)

yeah but then again you dont know how many business majs are applying per school

I dont know a single person that is going dental @ my school that is not bio (or chem)

Yeah but keep in mind there's a lot more that goes into it then a simple applied/accepted ratio. I think they already gave you the information you need... Being a business major, you're at a disadvantage for Baylor.

The ADEA guide may have the ratio you're looking for though... I haven't bought the new one and my old one is at home.

Yeah but keep in mind there's a lot more that goes into it then a simple applied/accepted ratio. I think they already gave you the information you need... Being a business major, you're at a disadvantage for Baylor.

The ADEA guide may have the ratio you're looking for though... I haven't bought the new one and my old one is at home.

where can i get one?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard the same thing about Baylor. Which stinks cause I have a bio and chem minor, but that didn't impress them. So, all the prereqs. plus a couple extra in bio. but not an official bio major. A couple botany classes short.

Does upper level classes you will be taking in your senior year count?

I can probably only do like 3-4 upper level before junior year ends

Yeah they do. I got into UTDB-Houston and UTHSC-SA on Dec. 1 but didn't even get an interview from Baylor.

I am a KIN major.

Yeah they do. I got into UTDB-Houston and UTHSC-SA on Dec. 1 but didn't even get an interview from Baylor.

I am a KIN major.

Whats KIN?

Also how many upper levels did u take? how much is recommended for Baylor (if anyone got how many did u take )?

Whats KIN?

Also how many upper levels did u take? how much is recommended for Baylor (if anyone got how many did u take )?

KIN is probably Kinesiology.

From what I've seen/heard, Baylor highly prefers Biology majors and those who have not been out of school for more than a single year.

Baylor does encourages upper level (bio) courses. Applicants meeting those requirements may have the advantage irrespective of what their major may happen to be. As for your second part of the equation, this must be a clear example of how misconceptions/misinformation are/is perpetuated. The mean age for Baylor ds enrollees is not much different than the rest of the country and the age range of 20-40 with 7 over 30 may not suggest that there may be a preference for those that have been out of school for more than a single year, unless, of course, the 40 year old enrollee also happens to be fresh out of school. Given two individuals with the same credentials it would seem unlikely that adcoms would not prefer a more mature applicant irrespective of age.

Last edited:
Baylor does encourages upper level (bio) courses. Applicants meeting those requirements may have the advantage irrespective of what their major may happen to be. As for your second part of the equation, this must be a clear example of how misconceptions/misinformation are/is perpetuated. The mean age for Baylor ds enrollees is not much different than the rest of the country and the age range of 20-40 with 7 over 30 may not suggest that there may be a preference for those that have been out of school for more than a single year, unless, of course, the 40 year old enrollee also happens to be fresh out of school. Given two individuals with the same credentials it would seem unlikely that adcoms would not prefer an a more mature applicant irrespective of age.

It's not so much the age as it is that you're continually taking classes even after graduation.

Baylor is serious about this. They don't really care for students that feel like they deserve a year off after undergrad. They think that if you're really committed/motivated, you will continue to improve your science background.

You can agree or disagree with it all you want but it's their philosophy, I just talked to Dr. Miller last week and she mentioned it.

It's not so much the age as it is that you're continually taking classes even after graduation.
Baylor is serious about this. They don't really care for students that feel like they deserve a year off after undergrad. They think that if you're really committed/motivated, you will continue to improve your science background.
You can agree or disagree with it all you want but it's their philosophy, I just talked to Dr. Miller last week and she mentioned it.

Really? Your permission has been granted?
Dr. M has to keep trying to find a formula which would impact the attrition rate or maybe she is worried about the cortex getting a little ankylosed.

Last edited:

alanan84 is right. of my 105 classmates, i don't know anyone who didn't take at least 1 science class between application and matriculation. there are plenty of postbaccs at baylor who took additional biology classes right up to matriculation including myself.

also, i'm a business major and got into baylor. but i also took 9 upper division biology classes in addition to the other pre-reqs for dental school. if you want baylor, you have to keep on taking science classes even after applying.

Really? Your permission has been granted?
Dr. M has to keep trying to find a formula which would impact the attrition rate or maybe she is worried about the cortex getting a little ankylosed.

Haha, I wasn't necessarily speaking to you, but to readers in general. However, it is you that is determined to hypothesize Baylor's reasoning (in this thread and others). To a predent, it's a moot point. If you want Baylor, you kind of have to play their game...

Absolutely correct.

alanan84 is right. of my 105 classmates, i don't know anyone who didn't take at least 1 science class between application and matriculation. there are plenty of postbaccs at baylor who took additional biology classes right up to matriculation including myself.
also, i'm a business major and got into baylor. but i also took 9 upper division biology classes in addition to the other pre-reqs for dental school. if you want baylor, you have to keep on taking science classes even after applying.

And you actually questioned all 105 of your classmates?

Sounds like Baylor is not keeping you busy enough.

oh, school keeps us busy but not so busy that classmates cannot converse with each other. we're together pretty much all day everyday! my classmates are really nice people, and we talk.

it's only 106 of us total. actually 102 new D1s. why is it so hard to believe that baylor likes its students to have current coursework before matriculation?

back to the thread. yes, you have to take more than just the 2 required upper division biology classes to get into baylor and especially if you're not a biology major. the post-baccs and un-traditional students in my class (including myself, and there's a lot of post-baccs and un-traditional students in my class) continued to take classes after graduating undergrad.

alanan84, i really hope you get into bcd. i've been following your posts, and you sound like a really upstanding guy.

Last edited:
it's only 106 of us total. actually 102 new D1s. why is it so hard to believe that baylor likes its students to have current coursework before matriculation?

With all the scrutiny, upper division bio, up to enrollment courses and Baylor still managed to have 4 repeaters. Interesting!.. Anyone kicked out or left by their own volition?