Baylor College of Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suzan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I interviewed (couple years ago) at Baylor, I got a very good impression of the school. They will more than adequately prepare you to become a competent dentist. I have plenty of friends who go there and I've heard nothing but good things from them. Baylor is regarded as one of the best dental schools in the southwest, if not, the nation. Check out more feedback in the interview feedback section:

http://share.studentdoctor.net/interviewdent/interview_read.asp

As far as you attending Baylor U... Baylor University is not affiliated with Baylor College of Dentistry in any way so no help there. Baylor COD is a part of the A&M system of colleges. :)

I had my interview fairly recently (Nov.28), and my experience there left a really positive impression of the school. Although, I may be biased. The dentist I shadowed graduated from Baylor so I came to the interview with some preconceived notions already. That being said, the clinical experience you'll receive there is top notch. The facilities are quite nice as well. As you stated already, Baylor is really big on having upper division science courses, and they'll mention it during the interview. As far as attending Baylor University helping you get in, tinman hit it on the head. BCD is part of the Texas A&M system and is not affiliated with Baylor University. Anyway, whichever school you choose, they'll all provide you with a great education.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too interviewed mid-november, and was very impressed by the school, faculty and students. Each of the faculty members I interviewed with were very helpful and interested in what I had to say and who I was. To me this this says a lot about the school when faculty treat you as more than just a number. The students we had lunch were the same way.
I was talking to my current dentist and he said that Baylor hands-down has the best faculty compared to the other Texas schools.
I think your best bet will be reading the interview feedback posts. Hope this helps.

i interviewed in august, it was my first interview and i was absolutely nervous. Had a good day just like everyone said and can't wait for the fall when school starts....its about 8 months away...sigh*

1. What were your impressions of the school?
2. I currently attend Baylor as an undergrad in Waco, TX. How helpful is it that I was an undergrad at Baylor and wanted graduate education at Baylor again for dentistry? Do they even care?

So far i've collected that they're
  • big on upper division and...
  • apparently, they're picky/like rejecting? :confused:
P.S. - i know these get annoying but alas, what do we lowly undergrads know? :hardy:

I interviewed at Baylor in September. The interview left a very positive impression with me as well. Their facilities are top notch as they are actively introducing new technology into the current curriculum.

To answer your second question...Baylor College of Dentistry is actually a part of the Texas A&M Health System. I don't remember when they acquired dental school but you could check their website for that info. They kept the name "Baylor" b/c that name is well known.

You are 100% correct in assessing that they look for upper division science courses. It came up in all three of my interviews. This is where your "picky" statement points. Good gpa and DAT with no upper division courses will have a more difficult time obtaining an offer of acceptance to Baylor versus a lower gpa and avg DAT with great grades in upper division courses. Of course they look at all aspects of the application but if you want to attend Baylor in addition to the good LORs, Essay, and Ec's take several upper division courses that pertain to the 1st and 2nd DS years.

Good Luck with your pursuit!!

If only I was good enough to be granted an interview at Baylor...I would be thrilled. Best one in Texas, I think. San Antonio is close behind.

If only I was good enough to be granted an interview at Baylor...I would be thrilled. Best one in Texas, I think. San Antonio is close behind.

Ya im from texas I go to UT austin, im still a freshmen but I don't think ill get in anywhere in Texas, ill give it a shot, but its going to be hard with the avg. GPA they have.

but what are you stats?

Thanks for posting this thread, I interviewed at Baylor and was lucky enough to get accepted as an out of stater for this cycle, it's still been hard though deciding between baylor and my in-state school so anything good I hear about Baylor is very helpful

Ya im from texas I go to UT austin, im still a freshmen but I don't think ill get in anywhere in Texas, ill give it a shot, but its going to be hard with the avg. GPA they have.

but what are you stats?

I suck, basically. 3.4/3.4 science, 18/19 DAT . I got into LSU and 3 other interviews, one at houston. I'm actually very surprised I got in as an out-of-stater with less than spectacular stats. Maybe it was my charming personality. If i get in houston it probably won't be until much later when they take all the people they really want. HA. From what I know about Baylor, if you really want to get an interview, DAT science and taking "several upper division" science is what they are looking for. At least, that's what Dr. Miller told me was keeping me from getting interviewed when I called her....also hurting me were my 18s on the science sections of the DATs, and actually I have an ass-load of upper division science, ..I do'nt know what she was talking abotu. Maybe she meant that I should have been a science major? I don't know.