Baylor College of Medicine -- Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riverie

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting a thread for questions from this year's applicants. We hope you like it here!

Members don't see this ad.

i hear you'll get in if you bring cookies and leave them in our mailboxes...

I just got accepted to BCM class of 2012. Any advice for the acceptance to matriculation process?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, redbeans and I will be accepting candy and cookies in our mailboxes as bri.. no.. encouragement.

Guest, are you planning to matriculate? Welcome to the family nevertheless. One tip would be to get your financial aid information in as early as possible. One thing I wish I did was to have more acceptances in hand and financial aid forms handed in at as many schools as possible so as to have some leverage in the bargaining process that comprises financial aid. Once I got into Baylor I dropped a ton of interviews like hot potatoes. In hindsight maybe that wasn't that smart. :p

Get as much vacation as you can before starting school! That will be your last summer in a while.

Get your living situation sorted out, the earlier the better. The waitlists for apartments start building up after April. Don't live in Favrot unless you want to simulate living in a shoebox.

Any more questions?

I didn't know you can leverage offers. How does the financial aid business work? When should that be in? Is there a webpage that has everything I need to know about the matriculation process?

Note: Since I have never leveraged offers before, the concept remains highly hypothetical to me. However, I have heard of it happening.

Financial aid forms don't go out till Jan or so, so I'd get them filled out and sent in asap after that.

You can look at http://www.bcm.edu/osa/osa-financial.html for more info on the process. Later on in the year, Baylor has a class webpage they'll send out a link to that has more information.

I just got accepted to BCM class of 2012. Any advice for the acceptance to matriculation process?

Brett,

You sent me a PM but have disabled PM replies ... really strange. Anywhere here is the gist of my reply ... a bit public, but I'm sure others will have similar questions

Hi Brett!

Congratulations!!! I'm sure you're happy about being accepted.

>I was just accepted to Baylor and I had a few
>questions.
>
> - When do I have to decide for sure?

I'm quite sure that you have many moons to contemplate this. I'm guessing that you have until May-ish of 2008. HOWEVER, I'm not sure what all the rules are. Given that this isn't someplace you want to screw up, you better get an answer from the admission's office and make sure they are referring you to an official document of some kind (like the letter your received, maybe).

> - I got a form in the mail saying "sign here to
> accept the offer". If is sign this, does it mean that
> I have to go to Baylor, or is it just to hold a spot?

It just means that they will hold your spot. You can tell them you changed your mind and get your money back as long as you tell them before May 31st or whatever the deadline is.

> - When do I have to sign and return said form?

I would do it immediately. I would also confirm their receipt (use the return receipt from the post office). You can pay the deposit much later (just make sure you pay it if you decide to go to BCM).

> - Do I have to send transcripts at the end of the
> current semester, or only after I graduate (may
> 2008)?

Both.

>Is there someone at Baylor that is responsible for helping accepted people
> matriculate? Thank you again for assistance. If you have any advice about
> this process it would be greatly appreciated.

No problem, Brett. You can talk to admissions and student affairs at Baylor. Both should be very helpful (along with current students).

Once again, congratulations! You now have an excellent option. I really like BCM's program. Hope to see you next year!!

Does Baylor use syllabi or class notes? Or is it just textbooks? Is there a scribe service? Are the lectures recorded? What is the typical day like as an M1/M2? Is there a drawback to starting clinical earlier? Thanks for the help...

Does Baylor use syllabi or class notes? Or is it just textbooks? Is there a scribe service? Are the lectures recorded? What is the typical day like as an M1/M2? Is there a drawback to starting clinical earlier? Thanks for the help...

They used to use syllabi when I was in M1/M2 but I think now there're just assigned readings in texts. However, I am going to defer this question to an M1/M2, who would know better. Lectures are recorded online and you can slow down or speed them up to your fancy. A typical basic science day starts at 8am and ends at 12 noon. Then there are variable afternoon responsibilities two afternoons a week, like IPS (integrated problem solving or PBL) and PPS (physician, patient and society -- a physical exam class.) Otherwise your afternoons are generally free, unless you choose to take an elective, most of which are just one afternoon a week. I think most of the effects of starting basic science early are advantageous, including more time to figure out what you want to do with your life and prepare for it, ability to take electives sooner than your 4th year, ability to take step 1 later (Jan of third year) gives you clinical experience to apply your basic science knowledge to and generally results in higher step 1 scores. I guess a drawback would be not having a 3 month long summer between 1st and 2nd year, but you get that vacation time later on in your 4th year or so.

riverie, are you saying Baylor takes into consideration how many schools you apply for financial aid at, and uses this info when giving you financial aid? Or how does that work?

Thanks!

What are good things to do pre-matriculation? Did anybody travel, or work, or do preceptorship, or relax? I want to do some kind of Spanish immersion, but I can't find any good programs. Any suggestions?

riverie, are you saying Baylor takes into consideration how many schools you apply for financial aid at, and uses this info when giving you financial aid? Or how does that work?

Thanks!

Savannah, I can't say for sure that Baylor does, but I have heard that it is advantageous to have more offers, so that you may have the opportunity of asking for a better offer from Baylor. They don't automatically take it into consideration. You may approach financial aid if you have a better offer from another school and see if Baylor will make a counter-offer.

Does BCM help students find housing? Are there any good places to look for housing (apartment/condo websites, etc)... I've heard to stay away from Favrot, but what about University housing from UT Houston?

Also, has anyone OOS used the loophole of owning property for a year to get residency after a year? How does that work?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Hello Brutus,

I'm a 2nd year, so we've kind of been the guinnea pigs--we had syllabi for some subjects, but not for others. It's my understanding that the first year class had no syllabi at all, just the reading assignments. That being said, the 2nd years now have copies of all the syllabi from blocks 1-8, and would be more than happy to pass them along to the incoming class. They don't change that much from year to year, but it will be your responsibility to stay current. So no worries--we got ya covered:thumbup:

MS1 have no syllabi this year (though most of us have the pdf from last year and use that to supplement our reading).

Does BCM help students find housing? Are there any good places to look for housing (apartment/condo websites, etc)... I've heard to stay away from Favrot, but what about University housing from UT Houston?

Also, has anyone OOS used the loophole of owning property for a year to get residency after a year? How does that work?

Thanks!

I live in the old section of UT housing. It's pretty nice and you're really not going to beat the price in the med center ($550 for a large 1 bdrm). I've heard the new section is pretty sweet but impossible to get into. If you're really interested in trying for UT-Housing you need to get your name on the waitlist the day it opens up (usually around the 3rd wk in January - I'd call about that). Transportation is a breeze from UT Housing since the 87 bus runs right outside the complex and drops you off right outside of Baylor.

I was instate so I'll defer about the buying question but I believe that you gain residency 1 year from purchasing property. Pretty sweet deal if you can swing it. My out of state friends took that route.

does anyone know if baylor gives merit scholarships?

just got accepted yday!! :hardy::D:hardy:

i had a couple of q's...abt how long it takes to get the packet with acceptance information?...and i was thinking about deferral but am not quite sure about whether I'd want to do that or how baylor even treats it..do ppl's requests to defer normally get turned down?

thanks!

So, the TMDSAS pre-matches came out today. I got UTSW, UTMB, UTSA, and I was wondering whether I should accept the UTMB and UTSA offers. I have no intention of going to those schools over Baylor, so are there any advantages to accepting offers you know you won't take?

how many merit scholarships does baylor offer and howmuch do they usually give

how many merit scholarships does baylor offer and howmuch do they usually give

I don't know how many they give, but the merit scholarships are usually quite competitive to get. I know of tuition scholarships, but you have to maintain a position in the top 20% or so in the class to keep it year to year.

just got accepted yday!! :hardy::D:hardy:

i had a couple of q's...abt how long it takes to get the packet with acceptance information?...and i was thinking about deferral but am not quite sure about whether I'd want to do that or how baylor even treats it..do ppl's requests to defer normally get turned down?

thanks!

Congrats! I think it took a week for my acceptance info to come in the mail. Baylor is very understanding about deferments -- just talk to them; they'd be very ready to listen to your reasons. I don't think it is hard at all to get one, as long as you have a decent reason (i.e. not "I just want to bum around for a year.")

So, the TMDSAS pre-matches came out today. I got UTSW, UTMB, UTSA, and I was wondering whether I should accept the UTMB and UTSA offers. I have no intention of going to those schools over Baylor, so are there any advantages to accepting offers you know you won't take?

Like I said earlier, an advantage would be for possible financial aid leverage. It's no guarantee Baylor will give you a better offer, but I think it's good to have more offers in hand so that you can at least try.

hi, i was curious about residency placement after med school...ive been hearing that Baylor is somewhat obscure to west/east coast residency programs, and i was wondering how much truth is really in that...i've looked at the match list and it seems like ppl have the opportunities to decide wherever they want go, but i thought i'd get opinions from individual Baylor students who are now applying to residencies or know other ppl who have gone through it

of course, this is all a long way away for me, but it's somewhat affecting me now because im thinking of cancelling several interviews...i have interviews at WashU and Columbia, but I don't really see myself going to St. Louis or the northeast over Houston, especially b/c I've been here most my life and am used to everything here...and not to mention the cost difference!

so..does going to an Ivy League or more highly ranked school REALLY matter when it comes to residencies (if all else is equal between two applicants and they both come from top 10/20 schools)?..is being in TX a disadvantage for residencies in the east/west coast?..I thought these may be questions that medical students could better answer than the few pre-meds and doctors that I've talked to about this...i personally feel that baylor is equally good and a better fit for me than some ivy league schools, but i was wondering if there are more opportunities by going to an ivy league or more highly ranked school (WashU), in comparison to Baylor...or if maybe TX schools get shut out from some top residency programs in the west/east coast

i'm probably asking some naive questions, so please enlighten me on what the truth actually is, because even though I'm grateful for getting these interviews, I really don't want to waste my time and money over the "name" of a school...i would rather that not dictate where I go in the end..of course, this is still all hypothetical since i haven't gotten in anywhere out of state :laugh:

thanks in advance for any input...i really do appreciate it :thumbup:

I can tell you anecdotally that I've known of people who've matched in California and the East Coast (Yale and Harvard in particular.) The superstars will match at superstar programs no matter what top 10 med school they're from. A reason Baylor could be less well known outside of TX is most of us stay in TX for residency -- or it could be that we're perceived as being more obscure to the outside because more of us match in TX than elsewhere (when really it's because we choose to.) The chicken and the egg.

I can tell you anecdotally that I've known of people who've matched in California and the East Coast (Yale and Harvard in particular.) The superstars will match at superstar programs no matter what top 10 med school they're from. A reason Baylor could be less well known outside of TX is most of us stay in TX for residency -- or it could be that we're perceived as being more obscure to the outside because more of us match in TX than elsewhere (when really it's because we choose to.) The chicken and the egg.

cool, thanks for your quick replies!...they are much appreciated :thumbup:

I just got the letter from Dr. Greenberg, and it was so cool that the letter was personalized! He mentioned a few items from my application - that was a nice touch.

Does anyone know what the computer requirement is about? Is there a certain type/brand we need?

I just got the letter from Dr. Greenberg, and it was so cool that the letter was personalized! He mentioned a few items from my application - that was a nice touch.

Does anyone know what the computer requirement is about? Is there a certain type/brand we need?

Yes, from what I remember from my letter, it was fantastic!

Regarding a computer, there isn't an absolute need as there are computers in the ERC. Here's some info on the requirements: http://erc.bcm.edu/newstudents/hardware_info.htm#computerRecs

The school will be sending you more detailed computer specs in the future, but any decent working computer that isn't like 10 years old should do the job.

I would like to second riverie's opinion. You all will NOT need to buy a computer specifically for BCM. I dunno why they still send out that "requirement" info, but basically there are nice, fast, new computers all over the campus and med center if you need them. Also, you can use pretty much any recent laptop and get wi-fi working at school. So just buy whatever computer makes you happy. Such as a nice new mac! haha

I am getting invitations from all the other Texas schools for second-look weekends and socials with faculty/students. Does Baylor have an organized event like that?

I am getting invitations from all the other Texas schools for second-look weekends and socials with faculty/students. Does Baylor have an organized event like that?

Yes, but in previous years it's been mainly geared towards out of state students and minority students.

Do yall have any regrets about going to Baylor? Anything you would change?

For housing, where do yall stay, and are yall happy there?

UT housing seems like a good deal, and looking at old threads, it seemed like Greenbriar apartments were pretty popular. Are there many complaints with these places?

Thanks for the help!

Do yall have any regrets about going to Baylor? Anything you would change?

For housing, where do yall stay, and are yall happy there?

UT housing seems like a good deal, and looking at old threads, it seemed like Greenbriar apartments were pretty popular. Are there many complaints with these places?

Thanks for the help!

Can't think of regrets about Baylor per se. I like it here. It's hard to make a basis of comparison, since I haven't attended any other med school. ;P If I have any regrets, it would be some minor second thoughts about med school itself. At this point in my training, just knowing more about the realities of medicine -- not as rosy as once imagined -- makes one think twice about the decision of entering med school. It's a long road, guys, long and hard, so think hard about your choice! I guess a reason for me feeling less rosy is that midway through a year of gruelling clinical rotations is enough to make anyone feel burned out. My low point occurred after surgery -- all the long hours and tiring work made me wonder if medicine was all worth it. Some experiences with a resident in Neurology afterward made me feel like my efforts to impress were going to waste. I got quite jaded and bitter at everything. My friends will tell you I complained a lot during this time and had a negative view on pretty much everything medicine-related. But after starting pediatrics and having an overall much better time on this rotation, I feel much happier with the world.

I still would reiterate the importance of thinking hard about your decision to enter medical school, because once you're at my stage it'd be very hard to quit, especially debtwise. In a nutshell, medicine will drain a lot of your time and energy. It may take precious time away from loved ones, friends, family, other personal interests. Sometimes it may be a lot of work for not quite enough reimbursement for all that time and effort *cough*general pediatrics*cough,* such that even though you may love the field you can't help but think twice before jumping in; you've received one too many warnings from well-meaning attendings (albeit from other fields) about the poor reimbursement. (Hmm can you guess what specialty I'm thinking about going into?) Other times it may take a huge amount of commitment and sanity-testing patience just to get into a residency, not to mention survive the minimum 5-year training *ahem*surgery. (I really liked surgery, but I just can't commit to the gruelling lifestyle.) Other times, you may wonder why you're delaying your salary-earning potential while getting neck-deep in loans. You may wonder if you should have just gotten a decent-paying job out of college. Of course, there's the good side of medicine which we all waxed lyrical about in our admission essays. I just wanna say that as premeds, we don't think enough (or know enough) about the other side and we really should go into med school with an informed and balanced view about medicine. It's very easy to brush off the not-so-good things you hear about medicine when you're in the rosy glow of pre-med idealism. Then again, if you're like me, you won't really know what you've gotten yourself into until you're there. :p

I've heard no complaints from my classmates living in UT Housing. Greenbriar apartments are smaller and older than Lanesborough ones and yet are inexplicably more expensive. There've been people complaining about the staff at the Lanesborough being inattentive and unresponsive, but I've personally not encountered anyone less than polite and very responsive to my requests. I would recommend the LNB in a heartbeat. It's nearer to the rail than Greenbriar, has a larger gym, and has more pools.

I'm very happy here.

I think BCM is one of the best (least malignant and with good learning opportunities) places to be for med school. The points brought up by Riverie about the negatives of modern medicine as a career (including long hours, abuse by upper-levels, declining reimbursement) seem to be a little less palpable here. Except for the reimbursement. Baylor is shifting lots of money and faculty and facilities around and money seems to be the driving force behind it all.

I think overall we are treated very well, even coddled, here. The residency programs at BCM are really good and that means that all those residents who rule your life as a 2.5-4th year tend to be pretty nice and pretty competent.

I think most people who aren't happy with their choice of this med school don't like it because of the city (weather, "fewer fun things to do...") rather than anything the school does wrong.

But please do think long and hard and make sure you're making the right decision. If you are called to this field and you really love what you do, it makes waking up at 4AM and dragging your butt to the hospital that much easier. There are still plenty of good things about medicine, but it's a good idea to carefully consider the downsides and be prepared.

Good luck!

I think BCM is one of the best (least malignant and with good learning opportunities) places to be for med school.

The residency programs at BCM are really good and that means that all those residents who rule your life as a 2.5-4th year tend to be pretty nice and pretty competent.

Thanks for your replies...I am glad to hear this.

Thanks for your replies...I am glad to hear this.

Yes when all is said and done, Baylor is a great place to train. Never underestimate the power of having highly intelligent and competent people as your classmates and future colleagues. They make a great learning environment even better.

I didn't mean to sound negative towards Baylor in my previous post. I think a lot of my experiences may be felt by many medical students/residents/fellows at any medical school at some point during their training but generic is right, if you have the passion for medicine, it will carry you through somehow. If you don't, there're always other options after med school or even halfway through. Just be ready for the good and bad times. ;)

BCM does not do this for most of the students; I'm not sure why. Our class (the current MS1s) organized its own fairly extensive socials before classes started. We did this through a combination of SDN and facebook, which worked well. The trick was getting everyone's e-mail of course. We benefited from an e-mail that was cc'd to a large number of people in the class. I'm not sure how you all could do this, but where there is a will, there is a way.

I am thrilled beyond explanation to have gotten my acceptance last friday! Look forward to my years at Baylor!

Just got my acceptance as well and found this thread! I wanted to let yall all know I started a group on facebook called "Baylor College of Medicine class of 2012" So if you're on facebook join it so we can all be facebook friends! =). Anyways I'm SOOOO excited about going to Baylor and I absolutely can't wait to meet all of yall!!!!!!

I am thrilled beyond explanation to have gotten my acceptance last friday! Look forward to my years at Baylor!

Just got my acceptance as well and found this thread! I wanted to let yall all know I started a group on facebook called "Baylor College of Medicine class of 2012" So if you're on facebook join it so we can all be facebook friends! =). Anyways I'm SOOOO excited about going to Baylor and I absolutely can't wait to meet all of yall!!!!!!

Congrats! Welcome to the family. :)

I'm looking for advice on where to live next year. Does anybody live in an apartment complex that they really like that's on the rail? Also, let me know if you know of any houses that will be available to buy/rent next year that are within walking distance from campus. I'm leaning towards trying to find a house nearby, but if you have any suggestions (advantages/disadvantages to living in a house vs. apartment) then please let me know! Thanks! =)

I'm looking for advice on where to live next year. Does anybody live in an apartment complex that they really like that's on the rail? Also, let me know if you know of any houses that will be available to buy/rent next year that are within walking distance from campus. I'm leaning towards trying to find a house nearby, but if you have any suggestions (advantages/disadvantages to living in a house vs. apartment) then please let me know! Thanks! =)

I've heard no complaints from my classmates living in UT Housing. Greenbriar apartments are smaller and older than Lanesborough ones and yet are inexplicably more expensive. There've been people complaining about the staff at the Lanesborough being inattentive and unresponsive, but I've personally not encountered anyone less than polite and very responsive to my requests. I would recommend the LNB in a heartbeat. It's nearer to the rail than Greenbriar, has a larger gym, and has more pools.

See above! :)

Hey guys, for those of you who have heard back from Baylor, when you sent the acceptance form in, did you get any conformation of reciept, or welcome to baylor! emails or letters? I havent gotten in anything.

Hey guys, for those of you who have heard back from Baylor, when you sent the acceptance form in, did you get any conformation of reciept, or welcome to baylor! emails or letters? I havent gotten in anything.

Me neither.

I got my first acceptance call back in October. Then the letter in the mail. I returned the acknowledgment form, but Baylor never sent me any further emails. I called the office and they said that they received my form and I was all set. But honestly, I am a little disheartened by the lack of communication by Baylor. I emailed Dr. Greenberg after he called me thanking him, but I never got anything back. I also called about a second look weekend, and apparently there is nothing like that. I have already gotten tons of emails from UTSW about second look weekends, upcoming matriculation information. Even my interviewer called me to personally congratulate me. Is Baylor going to start giving us matriculation instructions soon. I am pretty in the dark about financial aid and things of that nature. What are your thoughts on this matter?