Baylor College of Medicine -- Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In case someone was wondering (like me), the cost of the health insurance plan at Baylor is about $225/month. Dental can be purchased optionally with a premium of $161.40 (see http://www.bcm.edu/osa/handbook/?PMID=7607) for more details).

Members don't see this ad.

In case someone was wondering (like me), the cost of the health insurance plan at Baylor is about $225/month. Dental can be purchased optionally with a premium of $161.40 (see http://www.bcm.edu/osa/handbook/?PMID=7607) for more details).

Being under 25 is awesome for not needing to buy my own insurance policy. $225 is a LOT.

Does anyone know whether the Baylor part of the orientation lasts thru Thursday/Friday (7/31-8/1)? Or are we done after Wednesday 7/30? Not that I don't love you all :p but my family wants to plan a weekend trip while we're all in TX =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know whether the Baylor part of the orientation lasts thru Thursday/Friday (7/31-8/1)? Or are we done after Wednesday 7/30? Not that I don't love you all :p but my family wants to plan a weekend trip while we're all in TX =)

YOU DON'T LOVE US!!!!

I thought it was 3 days from Monday to Wednesday.

YOU DON'T LOVE US!!!!

I thought it was 3 days from Monday to Wednesday.

I just looked at the 2012 website again and on the calendar it says that July 28th through August 1st is Orientation. Apparently August 1st is a "curriculum overview"... ?

So I'm guessing we have to be there the whole week. :( Maybe your weekend trip will have to be just a weekend, purreleven.

I just looked at the 2012 website again and on the calendar it says that July 28th through August 1st is Orientation. Apparently August 1st is a "curriculum overview"... ?

So I'm guessing we have to be there the whole week. :( Maybe your weekend trip will have to be just a weekend, purreleven.

When we had orientation two years ago, Wednesday-Friday were at Baylor. You'll get your ID badges, email set up, and a bunch of administrative lectures. I think Friday was half a day though, so your weekend trip may not be ruined.

When we had orientation two years ago, Wednesday-Friday were at Baylor. You'll get your ID badges, email set up, and a bunch of administrative lectures. I think Friday was half a day though, so your weekend trip may not be ruined.

I wish their website would actually tell US that. Thank god for you guys! :D

When we had orientation two years ago, Wednesday-Friday were at Baylor. You'll get your ID badges, email set up, and a bunch of administrative lecture

hmm make that 3 years ago, stephen. :p we're old.

Ahh okay I see where it says that now - guess I'm stuck with you guys, bummer. JUST KIDDING! :D July 28 needs to be here sooner!!!

are there midterm tests for blocks or only finals? I'm trying to figure out if tests are only during the 'examinations periods' listed on the academic calendar.

are there midterm tests for blocks or only finals? I'm trying to figure out if tests are only during the 'examinations periods' listed on the academic calendar.

You have midterms for the first three blocks (through December). I think they were worth ~20% of your final block grade. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

After that, you'll only have one test per class, meaning that your entire grade will be based on the final exam.

You have midterms for the first three blocks (through December). I think they were worth ~20% of your final block grade. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

After that, you'll only have one test per class, meaning that your entire grade will be based on the final exam.

I think they may have done away with the midterms...but someone who is not so far removed can correct me if i'm wrong.

Here's a link to the 08-09 schedule:
http://www.bcm.edu/registrar/?PMID=8546

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys remember what year it is? :D

Last edited:
Has anyone completed their loan award on the TG loans website and selected a lender? If so, which lender is best?

Has anyone completed their loan award on the TG loans website and selected a lender? If so, which lender is best?

I kinda just went ahead with what they gave me. With the economy in the pits this year, the incentives they USED to give out have all been axed. So I used my previous lender for my undergrad loans, JP Morgan Chase Bank.

Also, check out the financial aid forum for more info.

I think they may have done away with the midterms...but someone who is not so far removed can correct me if i'm wrong.

Here's a link to the 08-09 schedule:
http://www.bcm.edu/registrar/?PMID=8546

to clarify the midterm question - they have done away with midterms. For blocks 1,2, and 3, you have just 2 exams. one written, one anatomy practical. Then after block 3 exams, you have a cumulative exam over the first 3 blocks. starting with block 4, you have separate exams for each class.

there is a "midterm" during block one. they give it 3 weeks into the block and it is really for the students to gauge how their studying is going, etc. it is a real exam, but i put it in quotes because your grade can't hurt you, it can only help. if you happen to do poorly, it doesn't count towards your final grade, and you meet with one of the course directors for advice on studying, class going, etc. if you do well, then they will count your score towards your final grade.

and to whomever said they can't wait until july 28th, do i need to smack you? haha. kidding!!! glad to see the enthusiasm. i was talking with some classmates today and we were saying that we remember how excited and anxious we were to get started this time last year. and now...well...i just gotta hang in there for 2 more weeks!

Last edited:
Hey guys, i have a loan question. The Perkins Loan is interest-free during the time we are in school, right, just like the subsidized stafford?

I'm thinking about getting a macbook (yay free ipod touch!), but on the baylor website it says the wireless network on campus has PEAP encryption and macs would need an airport wireless card to run the PEAP protocol?

What's that all about?

To those of you that use macs, have you found any strange compatibility issues?

I'm thinking about getting a macbook (yay free ipod touch!), but on the baylor website it says the wireless network on campus has PEAP encryption and macs would need an airport wireless card to run the PEAP protocol?

What's that all about?

To those of you that use macs, have you found any strange compatibility issues?

Macs support Baylor's wireless just fine (heck, even the iPhone supports it). I saw about 1/3 or so of the 1st years using Macs. As for compatibility issues, I'd say make sure you get a large hard drive on yours. At least 120GB or so but 160GB would be better. You're going to need to install some Windows-only software (not many) and a Windows XP partition chews up some space. Also get a large external hard drive with a FireWire 400 port. OS X comes with an auto hourly backup program called Time Machine that I swear by. It's amazing!

Oh, as for the iPod Touch. Get it, then sell it ASAP. I can say without a doubt it will be updated on September 16th at 12PM noon CST with a new model (yea, they do this every year so I have it down to the hour).

You won't be disappointed with a Mac. If you've never owned one, you'll be wondering why you've been using a PC all these years (and the Apple ads suddenly become 1000x funnier) :smuggrin:

Macs support Baylor's wireless just fine (heck, even the iPhone supports it). I saw about 1/3 or so of the 1st years using Macs. As for compatibility issues, I'd say make sure you get a large hard drive on yours. At least 120GB or so but 160GB would be better. You're going to need to install some Windows-only software (not many) and a Windows XP partition chews up some space. Also get a large external hard drive with a FireWire 400 port. OS X comes with an auto hourly backup program called Time Machine that I swear by. It's amazing!

Oh, as for the iPod Touch. Get it, then sell it ASAP. I can say without a doubt it will be updated on September 16th at 12PM noon CST with a new model (yea, they do this every year so I have it down to the hour).

You won't be disappointed with a Mac. If you've never owned one, you'll be wondering why you've been using a PC all these years (and the Apple ads suddenly become 1000x funnier) :smuggrin:

yeah i'm kind of doing the age-old debate of mac vs pc right now. i don't really have any qualms using a mac and frankly i like the streamlined look a lot better. and i'm fully ready to run windows on a partition just to stream lectures at 2x speed, haha. just wanted to make sure i didn't need to buy any extra things (airport cards and whatnot... i was kind of surprised by that in the "information#1" they sent us, since i figured all laptops were pretty much wireless-capable nowadays) in order to use a macbook on campus.

I'm a current MS1 at BCM. We have our end of block tests coming up next week so everyone's studying like mad.

It'll be nice to see some new faces next year. I'm a PRN leader so if you're in my group, get ready to have an awesome time.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

--Peter K.

I'm a current MS1 at BCM. We have our end of block tests coming up next week so everyone's studying like mad.

It'll be nice to see some new faces next year. I'm a PRN leader so if you're in my group, get ready to have an awesome time.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

--Peter K.

1) What should we be doing right now?
2) What should we NOT be doing right now?
3) What should we ignore people telling us to do right now?
4) Since Baylor's break between MS1 and MS2 is really short, what do most people end up doing?
5) Also similarly related to #4, I noticed that they only budget us for 11 months of living expenses during years 1 and 2. Do most people just end up stretching it out over 12? I'm not to worried about it, but I just wanted some info.

Congrats on almost finishing your first year! One more week and you're DONE!

1) What should we be doing right now?
2) What should we NOT be doing right now?
3) What should we ignore people telling us to do right now?
4) Since Baylor's break between MS1 and MS2 is really short, what do most people end up doing?
5) Also similarly related to #4, I noticed that they only budget us for 11 months of living expenses during years 1 and 2. Do most people just end up stretching it out over 12? I'm not to worried about it, but I just wanted some info.

Congrats on almost finishing your first year! One more week and you're DONE!

Q1&2: If you've gotten into med school with a $12,000 scholarship, I'm sure you know better than anyone else what you should be doing. If you're looking to further your career, etc, etc. By all means, do some research and publish a paper if you can. Otherwise, just relax and do whatever makes you happy. You've heard this before but you will never have this much free time ever again.
Q3: Anyone who tells you that you simply MUST to do something is of high suspect in my book.
Q4: Most people I know travel with friends or family since 1 month is too short to do anything. If you're incredibly driven, like certain classmates I know and will refrain from naming, you might try to find some lab to work in.
Q5: Yeah, that's all the money you get. In theory, you could borrow a bjillion dollars on an unsubsidized loan, but unless you have some means of paying it back quickly, I wouldn't recommend it. I would take work study if they gave it to me. All you do is sit in the ERC and study. Cake.

I would take work study if they gave it to me. All you do is sit in the ERC and study. Cake.

Or volunteer at the big children's hospital playing with kiddos or holding babies in the NICU and getting paid for it.

I second Peter's advice to just take it easy right now. No amount of "preparation" you could do now will do you much good one month in anyway.

If we weren't given work study in our financial aid "award" (there's a euphemism!), can we apply for a work study job later? I'd love to get paid to hold babies or study!

And Maura, I'll try to make an appearance tomorrow!

If we weren't given work study in our financial aid "award" (there's a euphemism!), can we apply for a work study job later? I'd love to get paid to hold babies or study!
Yes I believe you can still add it on later, as long as there are still funds available. Just contact the financial aid office, they may still be able to add it on to your package right now.

When do we get the money for the loans we have? I was guessing that for the loans through bcm (institutional, perkins), we would get the money when school starts but what about the stafford loans done through TG loan by web? Anyone know?

When do we get the money for the loans we have? I was guessing that for the loans through bcm (institutional, perkins), we would get the money when school starts but what about the stafford loans done through TG loan by web? Anyone know?

All the money generally comes in together and will be disbursed to you via BCM within the first month. I cannot remember the exact timing though!

All the money generally comes in together and will be disbursed to you via BCM within the first month. I cannot remember the exact timing though!

Minus whatever tuition is right?

Going back on an old topic...

Do we have to get this coverage? My wife (it will take time to get used to saying that :rolleyes:) is going to be a PhD student at baylor next semester as well, and she gets FREE health care coverage, but she also gets heavily discounted rates for her spouse (me) and so does anyone know if that would be possible?

you can opt out of the health insurance coverage, as long as you have adequate alternative coverage. there is an opt-out process that they will inform you of when it is time to sign up for health insurance. as mentioned, the dental insurance is optional. i would actually advise against getting the dental coverage, as it is the dental version of HMO and the dentist offices that participate in it tend to be chain dental offices and also tend to be more skewed towards unnecessary procedures in order to make money off of you. the only thing they cover fully is twice yearly checkups and bitewing Xrays. they do not cover fillings or any other dental work, instead giving you "discounted" rates, which to me are still pretty high. i paid $200 for a composite filling, a supposed "discounted" rate. after two years of being on this dental plan, my dentist told me that one of my fillings was "leaking" and i needed a crown (quite a drastic measure, which would conveniently cost hundreds.) i got a second opinion of a dentist out of network and he said that was completely unnecessary. he warned me that these "DMOs" tend to do unnecessary procedures to make extra money. in short, i'm now paying out of pocket to see my dentist ($68 for a semi-yearly checkup and cleaning.) he does not take xrays unless necessary, so you save on that cost. if you consider the cost of the insurance and the fact that extra work is not going to be covered much anyway, you might as well get a trustworthy dentist and pay OOP. also, with the DMO, once you pick a dentist, you can't switch dentists willy-nilly, you have to apply to change dentists one month in advance of the change. can't wait till i get a real job that gives me proper dental insurance (PPO, not DMO) that will actually pay for things. :p but take my experience for what you will; there are some classmates of mine who are still happy with the school dental coverage. to clarify, here's a link of the dental plans Aetna offers. BCM uses Aetna Advantage Dental, not PPO. http://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/Uploads/documents/Dental_Product_Portfolio.pdf so my long-winded answer to your question, bluestank, is that if you can get good medical and dental coverage (make sure the dental is PPO) through your wife, TAKE IT AND RUN WITH IT!

Last edited:
Going back on an old topic...

Do we have to get this coverage? My wife (it will take time to get used to saying that :rolleyes:) is going to be a PhD student at baylor next semester as well, and she gets FREE health care coverage, but she also gets heavily discounted rates for her spouse (me) and so does anyone know if that would be possible?

Mhmm. What will take even longer to get used to is the leash she's gonna put on ya! :)

Anyway, today I saw the end of the very looong tunnel in "mostly required" medical education. My bro just finished up his ortho residency! He seemed so happy to be done too. And all of his co-residents that I talked to gave me congratulations for getting into med school somewhere Of course, they just HAD to mention that med school seemed like eons ago to me. That makes being in their position seem like such a long time away for us folks just starting..

Sigh. :(

Question for all you current BCM students!

There's a solid list of books to buy on our class page: http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2012/?PMID=6509
Which of those do you think is necessary, or which can you get by with using in the library whenever you need it?

Question for all you current BCM students!

There's a solid list of books to buy on our class page: http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2012/?PMID=6509
Which of those do you think is necessary, or which can you get by with using in the library whenever you need it?
Basic Histology by Junqueira is a must-have.
Thompson & Thompson + Langman's I only used as references, so you don't really need to buy those.
As for the other books, our class used different sources, so I can't comment on those exact books, but I can say that I didn't feel I needed a Biochem text nor an Anatomy text. An anatomy atlas like Netter's, on the other hand, is an absolute must. However, if the lecturers are following Gray's pretty closely, then I'd get it. I definitely did not need the Physio text they had recommended for us (it was written more for grad students). Instead, I'd get BRS Physio to help you understand the big picture. Oh and when you get to Pathology (I know, still a long ways away,) get Rapid Review Pathology by Goljan --- it is GOLDEN!

Does anyone need to rent a furnished bedroom with private bathroom while you get situated for the upcoming year?

I have a two bedroom two bath condo that is furnished, and can rent it out to two students for the scholastic year.

OR

I offer the option of renting month to month while you shop around for a place to get settled in.

The condo is located across from UT Housing, biking distance to Baylor, or on the city bus route which takes 10-15 minutes.

I also have newly updated condos for sale:

Either one bedroom, one bath, or two bedroom two baths.

I find out today that JPMorgan Chase is no longer certifying loans and I have to go hunt for a new lender. Yay! It's a good thing I called them, as I'd rather not find out about this stuff when school starts (and rent is due).

Allo! Trying to get internet/cable/electricity set up . . . do you have recommendations on what worked well, what is cheapest?
Thanks!
Also I am thinking of using Green Mountain Energy - anyone heard of them or has used them?

Allo! Trying to get internet/cable/electricity set up . . . do you have recommendations on what worked well, what is cheapest?
Thanks!
Also I am thinking of using Green Mountain Energy - anyone heard of them or has used them?

I used to have Comcast Cable internet, but got tired of paying $60/month and having connection issues, so I switched to AT&T/Yahoo DSL, which is not noticeably slower (for most surfing and streaming purposes) and is only about $40/month for the mid-range speed.

As for TV, if you're not living in an apt complex that forces you to pay for cable TV through them, see if you can get hooked up with At&t's UVerse. Much cheaper, and pretty good from what I've heard.

As for electricity, go to whitefence.org to compare rates. Beware of hidden monthly fees in those companies that are offering ridiculously low rates, cos your final fee could be pretty high or comparable to larger, more reliable companies. I currently have TXU, which I think is reasonable. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive. Reliant has higher rates in general, but as the name goes, they're pretty dependable I think. I didn't like the customer service at Gexa, and their monthly fees were high. Also, make sure your company offers online payment systems if you want to save time that way.

I find out today that JPMorgan Chase is no longer certifying loans and I have to go hunt for a new lender. Yay! It's a good thing I called them, as I'd rather not find out about this stuff when school starts (and rent is due).

Hey since it sounds like your on the ball about this stuff, do you know what we are supposed to do after we sign our electronic promissory note? I just did that for my stafford and institutional loans but I have no idea what to do next...

Hey since it sounds like your on the ball about this stuff, do you know what we are supposed to do after we sign our electronic promissory note? I just did that for my stafford and institutional loans but I have no idea what to do next...

Call them (your lender) on Monday/Tuesday to see if it's been processed. I don't know after that...

And have you moved into your Lanesborough Apartment yet? I still need to figure out how to get renter's insurance and turn on utilities and stuff.

Call them (your lender) on Monday/Tuesday to see if it's been processed. I don't know after that...

And have you moved into your Lanesborough Apartment yet? I still need to figure out how to get renter's insurance and turn on utilities and stuff.

if lanesborough doesn't make you use a certain company, you can turn it on over the internet.

my lease already started, but i haven't moved yet. i already got my electricity running though.

If I remember correctly, I lived in Lanesborough 3 years ago, they will allow you to use the electric company they contract with and charge you a pro-rated rate until you set up your own utilities. Cable, phone, and internet are up to you, although I think you can set up cable through Lanesborough as well.

The Lanesborough has a monopoly on the cable tv connection, so you HAVE to get it through them. You can call whatever electric company you want right now and tell them to start service on your move-in date. Phone and internet are also up to you. The apt complex recommends the erenter plan insurance. You can buy it online I think -- erenterplan.com

How do I know who my lender is? The award email just mentioned the type of loan I was getting.

We just finished all that crap for lanesborough so it is fresh in my mind...

As for renter's insurance, they have a plan you can get through lanesborough. You just fill out a single sheet of paper with how much coverage you want, its real easy.

Electricity is picked by you, so just go to www.powertochoose.org and compare prices for what you want. I recommend going with a fixed rate contract for a cheaper price, that way they can't change your rates on you. Also, try to stick to the bigger name companies, as many of the smaller ones are going out of business, and when that happens, they transfer you to a company of their choosing at absurdly high rates. All other utilites are handled by lanesborough.

Cable/internet and phone if you want (we just use our cell phones) we did through comcast. You actually can get your own cable, and you don't HAVE to get it through lanesborough. There are package deals if you look on their website for tv and cable. Call the local Comcast office, they are surprisingly very helpful, and you can get discounts for living here.

I guess thats it right? Unless you have a car you need insured I could tell you all about that also...

i live at lanesborough too and have been here since june - watch out for the comcast deals, we almost got screwed. so we signed up for the double play (digital cable and internet for 66 bucks), and since we have to pay lanesborough 40 a month for cable, we were told that 40 bucks would be subtracted from the comcast bill since lanesborough already pays them. that is not how it works though - lanesborough cable is standard and the package uses digital starter, so since they are different things (according to them) you have to pay them AND the apt complex. after 3 hrs on the phone we got our money back for the first month and cancelled the package and signed up with comcast just for internet. so what is the moral of the story? Don't sign up for the attractive-looking packages unless it is STANDARD cable. the double play deals are digital starter, not standard. if you want cable, just use lanesborroughs and dont sign up for it at all. if you don't want to use comcast cable, your only option is to not have cable at all or to get satellite. hope this helps. btw for those new to the complex, the management staff sucks so bad its not even funny. you'll find out. sorry, rant over.

How do I know who my lender is? The award email just mentioned the type of loan I was getting.

We just finished all that crap for lanesborough so it is fresh in my mind...

As for renter's insurance, they have a plan you can get through lanesborough. You just fill out a single sheet of paper with how much coverage you want, its real easy.

Electricity is picked by you, so just go to www.powertochoose.org and compare prices for what you want. I recommend going with a fixed rate contract for a cheaper price, that way they can't change your rates on you. Also, try to stick to the bigger name companies, as many of the smaller ones are going out of business, and when that happens, they transfer you to a company of their choosing at absurdly high rates. All other utilites are handled by lanesborough.

Cable/internet and phone if you want (we just use our cell phones) we did through comcast. You actually can get your own cable, and you don't HAVE to get it through lanesborough. There are package deals if you look on their website for tv and cable. Call the local Comcast office, they are surprisingly very helpful, and you can get discounts for living here.

I guess thats it right? Unless you have a car you need insured I could tell you all about that also...

Check the TG Loans by Web website and it should be somewhere there. I guess I'll figure this stuff out with my roommate by Friday.