Baylor dental post-Bac,,,,anyone who completed it????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:confused:So,,,has anyone heard anything or is this thing over?

Members don't see this ad.

No, I haven't heard anything either...but McSexy has her interview today, so maybe she'll have some updates for us... There is two weeks left, so don't give up hope yet. However, I do fear the worst. =(

im sure mcsexy did fine. Im glad im not the only one checking out this blog though. I thought i might maybe everyone else had moved on and that I was the only dreamer left. IT might be good to move on though so that if we do get the call, well then it's a surprise. Who am i kidding, i suck at pretending. Good luck.:(

Members don't see this ad :)
ok i'm back from the interview:confused: there was 12 people who got interviewed that day, i kinda peaked at their schedule for the day:D
i had a chance to speak with the other 2 that were there with me afterwards.

we all agreed that they talked to us like there was a STRONG chance we wouldn't get in, and all 3 interviewers asked us what our back up plan was.

Dr Brooks said they interviewed mon,tues,weds, everyone else said just tues, and wednesday....

one person found out that they were interviewing 22 people, which sounds pretty close, if they did two days of interviews

there was no talk of any interviews passed this week, and with all the negativity from the interviewers, i chose not to ask, it was like i didn't have enough upper division sciences, (ok shouldn't post-bac help with that???) dr b, even laughed at some of my courses:( said it didn't mirror the first year dental school sciences (um once again, isn't that what post bac is for)
asked if i had other family commitments ( i.e. kids, husband) she mentioned students had dropped out in the past because of family/finacial commitments

they definately stressed how HARD baylor was...and that your giving your life to baylor...the only thing that made me feel good, is that the other two left feeling the same way,like blah

dr b gave us some stats at the beginning, like there are 16 slots, and 5 people applied for every slot and "they can't take everyone" and that "its no reflection on the individual if they don't get in" <~ i heard that 3 different times 3 different ways.

well that interview just drained my happiness and optimism
i dont' know what to say guys

I've heard that baylor was the toughest interview. Some people say they're just plain mean! I hope you get in! Do you have any tips or advice for those of us that will hope to interview with baylor someday?

Dr. Miller was just at my school earlier to give a talk to the pre-health society. I was able to ask her personally afterward about the postbac program. They have already officially chosen the students for the program...so it's really over guys. We should be receiving our acceptance/rejection letters in the mail soon. G'luck with your Plan B!...

dang, sorry guys!!!!!!!!:(

i found out this morning, i got accepted to the program, yippie!

but when i spoke to dr miller during the interview, she said alot of students do call her and the office for advising on which classes to take to kinda mimic the post bac program
so anyone with their heart set on baylor, just start getting in contact with her, work hard my friends...we can all still be the entering class of 2009!:luck::luck:

Just got the exciting news yesterday, and found this thread today.
Hope to see you guys in the class of 2013.

Do you guys who are going to be apart of the baylor post-bacc program know what school your going take classes at? I can't decide between UNT and UTD...any advice?

Do you guys who are going to be apart of the baylor post-bacc program know what school your going take classes at? I can't decide between UNT and UTD...any advice?

I'm having the same problem. UNT is a larger university, so you have more choice in the classes that you can take. UTD on the other hand is a smaller school, so the teacher/student ratio should be smaller. I have been leaning towards UNT.

I would also like to know where everyone else is going. I figure most people would want to go to the same place.

I chose unt I was looking at classes for fall but all my first picks weren't even being offered, booooo!

oh really?! The classes are all ready that full? I heard the classes at UTD are a lot more challenging (not sure if thats true or not) but its just so much closer to where I already live. hmmmmm. Anybody know what Tier 1 and Tier 2 means on the course lists they gave us? Maybe the class options for Semester 1 and Semester 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh really?! The classes are all ready that full? I heard the classes at UTD are a lot more challenging (not sure if thats true or not) but its just so much closer to where I already live. hmmmmm. Anybody know what Tier 1 and Tier 2 means on the course lists they gave us? Maybe the class options for Semester 1 and Semester 2?

Yeah, that tier 1 and tier 2 separation was kind of vague. I will probably call tomorrow to get more information. I also noticed that if you plan on going to UNT you are required to apply to the graduate school. Does this mean we will be taking graduate courses at UNT, but not at UTD?

I called unt Friday and for like finacial aid and for applying to the school we need to select graduate student, but our classes aren't graduate classes

I've heard utd is more "challenging" um yeah, im all for doing something challenging that mirrors the first year of dental school, but I'm not trying to fail out of post bac either, LOL I think the 4 science courses will be challenging enough :) do u guys know if we choose a lab does that count towards the 4 course requirement? Like genetics lab? All the classes I like are in tier 1 so who's taking neurpsychopharmacophysiology with me, LOL that sounds like 8 classes by itself :)

ok just spoke to natasha... they prefer you to pick from the tier one list, she said that's the one that will help you the most in dental school...but tier two is acceptable too...it just based on your preference....

ahhh genetics/ genetics lab, 1 course...so heredity/ heredity lab 1 course...booooo! i was so trying to get all my courses on tuesday/thursday...so so close.

So whats up with the electives? If we have to take 4 upper division biology courses per semester do we even take electives?
ok just spoke to natasha... they prefer you to pick from the tier one list, she said that's the one that will help you the most in dental school...but tier two is acceptable too...it just based on your preference....

ahhh genetics/ genetics lab, 1 course...so heredity/ heredity lab 1 course...booooo! i was so trying to get all my courses on tuesday/thursday...so so close.

now from what i understand...electives are just to help us meet the 15 credit hour requirement...so we don't need them

so like if you choose 4 science courses that are all 3 credit hours...well you'll have 12, so you'd need another science or an elective, to hit 15 hours...

and of course the way i originally picked classes, i'd have 4 sciences, and 14 hours!!! grrr so i'd have to take an elective...um yeah so i'm trying to figure it out again lol

Ok so do we fill out the regular app on the website or is there something I'm missing? I'm trying to figure out UTD's app procedure but do I have to fill out the essay section, etc?

i'd call utd in the morning to find out...i'm doing unt's so i haven't run into any problems yet.

All the classes I like are in tier 1 so who's taking neurpsychopharmacophysiology with me, LOL that sounds like 8 classes by itself :)
LOL, you'll like that one, it's not bad at all. Dr. Tam is a trip (always cracks himself up). You pretty much just go through several classes of NT's, what their actions are, etc. and how it all fits in with treatment for things like ADHD, Parkenson's, Schizo, etc. Not too bad at all. (Animal Phys, on the other hand...)

I actually got to know several post-back students when I took several of my upper level classesl. (Saw a few when I toured the school during my interview too.) BTW, congrats!

Last edited:
LOL, you'll like that one, it's not bad at all. Dr. Tam is a trip (always cracks himself up). You pretty much just go through several classes of NT's, what their actions are, etc. and how it all fits in with treatment for things like ADHD, Parkenson's, Schizo, etc. Not too bad at all. (Animal Phys, on the other hand...)

I actually got to know several post-back students when I took several of my upper level classesl. (Saw a few when I toured the school during my interview too.) BTW, congrats!

Hey thats good to know...cause that class freaked me out...but it so fun to say, lol

Hello Everyone! i knew to this site, but what i'm reading, i'm liking! so has anyone shadowed a dentist yet? if so did you make calls or meet face to face for the opportunity to shadow? is it mandatory for a predental student to volunteer a certain number of hours each week and how much? Your response would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Everyone! i knew to this site, but what i'm reading, i'm liking! so has anyone shadowed a dentist yet? if so did you make calls or meet face to face for the opportunity to shadow? is it mandatory for a predental student to volunteer a certain number of hours each week and how much? Your response would be greatly appreciated.

You might want to start a new thread for this question. Not that many people are going to be reading this thread, since it only pertains to a few people.

so do you guys happen to know if we HAVE to take the labs...like if i take cell biology...do i need to take the lab?

so do you guys happen to know if we HAVE to take the labs...like if i take cell biology...do i need to take the lab?

It says on the course description package that we have to take the corresponding lab if one is offered. What course do you plan on taking?

It says on the course description package that we have to take the corresponding lab if one is offered. What course do you plan on taking?

boooooooooooooooooooo! oh gosh i hate labs...eh, and guess i'll just get over that...

well with that new info i'll have to see booo labs!!!, but i was thinking genetics, cell bio, that neuropsychopharm.... <~that class needs a shorter name...and then i guess animal physiology...well i was just looking at classes that were being offered that actually could work together...maybe the revised list will have more classes...

Just to let you know...I took neuropsychopharmacology and i loved that class. Dr. tam is a hoot and also a wonderful teacher...I really think he is too smart for his own good. Genetics...I recomend taking dr. padilla...but it's a normal class and the lab...get ready to do intense fruit flies experiments. I would recommend....taking immunology with dr. goven, endocrinology with dr. schwartz (he also teaches histology), take neuroscience with dr fughes, and good luck in animal physiology (dr. gross).....if you don't have to take it...I wouldn't. : )

Just to let you know...I took neuropsychopharmacology and i loved that class. Dr. tam is a hoot and also a wonderful teacher...I really think he is too smart for his own good. Genetics...I recomend taking dr. padilla...but it's a normal class and the lab...get ready to do intense fruit flies experiments. I would recommend....taking immunology with dr. goven, endocrinology with dr. schwartz (he also teaches histology), take neuroscience with dr fughes, and good luck in animal physiology (dr. gross).....if you don't have to take it...I wouldn't. : )

Thanks for the Info.

u are aweome thanks for the info! But now the idea of genetics lab, BORING!!! LOL I'll figure something out

Last edited: