Baylor Interviewees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I thought I'd start us a little thread, mainly because this non-Texan has some questions:

1. Hobby or Intercontinental? I have no idea what the difference is. Is one cheaper to fly into? Is one more convenient? Help!

2. From people who went in past years, do you think leaving early in the morning for a short flight (2 hour flight) that gets there at 830 in the morning would give me enough time (I'm anal about making sure I have enough time to get there) to get there for the start of everything at noon???

3. Also for past interviewees, was the optional thing at the Two Rows Grill worth it? I assume it'd be worth it, especially since the festivities before that end at 730 giving us no time to fly out that night

Anyway, I interview on September 8. I hope to see some of you guys there.

Members don't see this ad.

quantummechanic said:
Hey I thought I'd start us a little thread, mainly because this non-Texan has some questions:

1. Hobby or Intercontinental? I have no idea what the difference is. Is one cheaper to fly into? Is one more convenient? Help!

2. From people who went in past years, do you think leaving early in the morning for a short flight (2 hour flight) that gets there at 830 in the morning would give me enough time (I'm anal about making sure I have enough time to get there) to get there for the start of everything at noon???

3. Also for past interviewees, was the optional thing at the Two Rows Grill worth it? I assume it'd be worth it, especially since the festivities before that end at 730 giving us no time to fly out that night

1. I think more flights connect to Bush so it might be cheaper.

2. Never went before this year.

3. Don't know, but I'm going.

Congrats on the interview...When did u submit your secondary?? Are your numbers pretty good? I'm OOS too and I just submitted mine last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jr applicant said:
Congrats on the interview...When did u submit your secondary?? Are your numbers pretty good? I'm OOS too and I just submitted mine last week.

Mid July. I think so.

1. Intercontinental is much nicer, Hobby is somewhat closer. Most people fly into Intercontinental cause it's more organized.

2. If your flight gets there at 830, you will have more than enough time to get there at noon. Intercontinental is about an hour from the medical center by car, depending on traffic. No more than two hours.

3. Two Rows is a nice restaurant bar, and a good time to socialize. Why not?

quantummechanic said:

doctordutch said:
2. If your flight gets there at 830, you will have more than enough time to get there at noon. Intercontinental is about an hour from the medical center by car, depending on traffic. No more than two hours.

I forgot how large of a city Houston is! I'm not used to a trip to the airport potentially taking 2 hours!

How should I do transportation to and from the airport? I have a friend in Houston but I doubt he would be willing to drive me on a Friday morning, and a 1-2 taxi ride sounds really expensive.

quantummechanic said:
I forgot how large of a city Houston is! I'm not used to a trip to the airport potentially taking 2 hours!

How should I do transportation to and from the airport? I have a friend in Houston but I doubt he would be willing to drive me on a Friday morning, and a 1-2 taxi ride sounds really expensive.
Hobby is closer to the medical center. Search and see if there is some sort of shuttle from the airport with a stop in TMC. It's not such an unusual request so there might be something. If by some miracle I get an interview that date, I'd pick you up from Hobby - but right now, no love from Baylor.

Anastasis said:
Hobby is closer to the medical center. Search and see if there is some sort of shuttle from the airport with a stop in TMC. It's not such an unusual request so there might be something. If by some miracle I get an interview that date, I'd pick you up from Hobby - but right now, no love from Baylor.

wow, that'd be really kind of you! good luck with Baylor, you deserve an interview ana! I checked though and there's no direct flights from my city to Hobby. This trip should be interesting.

doctordutch said:
If your flight gets there at 830, you will have more than enough time to get there at noon. Intercontinental is about an hour from the medical center by car, depending on traffic. No more than two hours.

It would have to be really bad traffic. I live adjacent to the med center and can make it to any terminal at IAH in 35 minutes or less.

How did you find out about your interview? email, mail, phone call?
congrats guys on the interviews

americanangel said:
How did you find out about your interview? email, mail, phone call?
congrats guys on the interviews

email

quantummechanic said:
wow, that'd be really kind of you! good luck with Baylor, you deserve an interview ana! I checked though and there's no direct flights from my city to Hobby. This trip should be interesting.
ew. I checked out yellow cabs for you and they were quoting $51 one way from IAH to TMC. :eek: Where are you staying? Near TMC? They might have a shuttle to the airport.

Anastasis said:
ew. I checked out yellow cabs for you and they were quoting $51 one way from IAH to TMC. :eek: Where are you staying? Near TMC? They might have a shuttle to the airport.

I have no idea if I'm going to stay with my friend who live in Houston or with a med student. yeah, I looked up that fare and wasn't too happy! I guess i could try a flight to Hobby, but that'd be a connection, and that could be a problem if there's any delays!

Members don't see this ad :)
quantummechanic said:
I have no idea if I'm going to stay with my friend who live in Houston or with a med student. yeah, I looked up that fare and wasn't too happy! I guess i could try a flight to Hobby, but that'd be a connection, and that could be a problem if there's any delays!
Could you rent a car? If you use your cashback bonus from discover you can double your money towards an enterprise rent-a-car. Makes renting a car MUCH more affordable.

Anastasis said:
Could you rent a car? If you use your cashback bonus from discover you can double your money towards an enterprise rent-a-car. Makes renting a car MUCH more affordable.
I'm gonna try to sucker my friend into driving me...

power_to_people said:
He cant rent a car if he is under 25. Try findng a shuttle that gets close to the med center then use the metro to get around heres the website.

http://www.hou-metro.harris.tx.us/
I'm pretty sure if you're under 25 you can rent, just for a greater cost. I'm not positive but thats what my friend, who works at a car rental place told me.

quantummechanic said:
I'm pretty sure if you're under 25 you can rent, just for a greater cost. I'm not positive but thats what my friend, who works at a car rental place told me.

It may be a texas law but I looked at the metro website and they have buses that go from both the airports to all over houston. It may take a while to get to the med center but its cheap :thumbup:

Havarti666 said:
It would have to be really bad traffic. I live adjacent to the med center and can make it to any terminal at IAH in 35 minutes or less.

Going towards the medical center on I45 at 830-900am...at least an hour. 35 minutes maybe going outbound at that time at slightly above the speed limit. On a weekend.

Where are you coming from? I've found that a lot of flights on SW airlines are nice and cheap and they all go into Hobby, which is closer. In any case, I had a roommate who flew alot last year, and she often took shuttles from the Marriott in the med center to the airport (I think IAH though).. I'd look into that. I'm not sure if there are Hobby shuttles, but hopefully there is info online.

PS. I'm jealous of you and your Baylor interview. However, they have not yet pulled my letter packet from Virtual Evals, so my file is not complete.. hopefully soon!!

quantummechanic said:

quantummechanic said:
You can rent if you are under 25 in texas. Enterprise charges 10 extra dollars per day for being under 25.

doctordutch said:
Going towards the medical center on I45 at 830-900am...at least an hour. 35 minutes maybe going outbound at that time at slightly above the speed limit. On a weekend.

Hardy Toll Road. Biotch.

Havarti666 said:
Hardy Toll Road. Biotch.

LoL, that last part was unnecessary, but funny nonetheless.

littlelaura said:
Where are you coming from? I've found that a lot of flights on SW airlines are nice and cheap and they all go into Hobby, which is closer. In any case, I had a roommate who flew alot last year, and she often took shuttles from the Marriott in the med center to the airport (I think IAH though).. I'd look into that. I'm not sure if there are Hobby shuttles, but hopefully there is info online.
Yeah, I just bought a southwest ticket from tulsa to dallas for $45.

Pkboi24 said:
LoL, that last part was unnecessary, but funny nonetheless.

Besides, if his flight lands at 0830 he still has to get his bags, take the shuttle out to the rental car pavilion and obtain his shiny new Chevy Cavalier. It's going to be well after 0900 by the time he's ready to head to town, and the morning rush hour traffic will have largely dissolved by that time.

If renting a car were out of the question, I'd consider flying into Hobby and taking a taxi. The public transportation in this city sucks balls. You either have a car or you're F-ed.

congrats on your interview. PM me with any questions!

See you there QM.

hey everybody, I'll see you on the 8th as well.

have we reached a consensus about the best way to do travel arrangements? since the interview day goes so late, it seems like it would make the most sense to stay overnight on friday and fly back saturday morning. this would mean, for me, getting up around 3:30 in the morning friday to get to houston around 8:30, hopefully without delays and then making it to the med center by 11, presumably flying in my suit.

alternatively, would it make more sense to take a late flight friday night and get there thursday night? or stay 2 nights? i was hoping to get a student host so i dont know how well that would work out.

man this is going to be nuts!

modelslashactor said:
hey everybody, I'll see you on the 8th as well.

have we reached a consensus about the best way to do travel arrangements? since the interview day goes so late, it seems like it would make the most sense to stay overnight on friday and fly back saturday morning. this would mean, for me, getting up around 3:30 in the morning friday to get to houston around 8:30, hopefully without delays and then making it to the med center by 11, presumably flying in my suit.

alternatively, would it make more sense to take a late flight friday night and get there thursday night? or stay 2 nights? i was hoping to get a student host so i dont know how well that would work out.

man this is going to be nuts!

You can take express shuttle USA (or another shuttle service called the Texas Shuttle or something like that) into the medical center. They have booths at both Hobby and Bush Intercontinental.

I would never travel on the same day of an interview b/c you are hoping that everything goes as planned. All it takes is one little mishap somewhere in those plans and everything is turned inside out.

Fly in the day before, get to know the area, chill in the Rice Village area (gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Rice... :thumbup: !!!), walk around the big ass medical center.

If you, for some reason do not get a host...you search for hotel rates in the medical center on www.hotwire.com ....very cheap rates...I promise...r you can go the conventional route and just ask for the Rice University student hotel rate (they never check ID's...I did it even after I graduated)...but it wont be as cheap as it will be on hotwire.

good luck...have fun