Baylor Medical School put on probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nah, i wouldn't decline at interview at stanford. that'd be ridiculous, especially since it's in my homestate and I already made my donation to them through application fees.
Sounds great. Just be sure to not bring up their elitist problem during an interview-lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe Stanford thinks you're bitter and entitled.

lmao nah if they'd did they were probably staring at their own reflection for far too long which wouldn't be surprising cuz it's stanford.

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy that you're here! How do I find their secondary on this site? I tried the search but it didn't work. I guess it'll come in due time.
Here are the Stanford secondary essays from last year:
1. The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine (2000 characters).

2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals:

Private Practice

Health Policy

Academic Medicine

Public Health

Health Care Administration

Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1000 characters)

How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals? (1000 characters)

Stanford is notoriously elitist and pompous (if you don't believe me take a look at their secondary. it literally spews grandiosity at you). nothing will take them down a peg like a probation notice.

If ever there was a school that deserved to be elitist, it's f****** Stanford.

lmao nah if they'd did they were probably staring at their own reflection for far too long which wouldn't be surprising cuz it's stanford.

Then why did you even apply...

Still looking for all the elitism I was promised...
Yeah, their secondary is about 99% identical to the 15 ungodly "low tier" secondaries I filled out last year. I guess we're all elitists dicks.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously though:

1) Stats way below Stanford's average
2) Acceptance rate is < 3%
3) Thinks school is "elitist and pompous"

4) Profit.

For some reason, I think I'm misusing that.

Reactions: 2 users
Seriously though:

1) Stats way below Stanford's average
2) Acceptance rate is < 3%
3) Thinks school is "elitist and pompous"

ITP: stats are nearly everything. You were asking why some guy last night didn't get in with like a 38 mcat didnt get into a bunch of places. That alone should drive home the point.

ITP: stats are nearly everything. You were asking why some guy last night didn't get in with like a 38 mcat didnt get into a bunch of places. That alone should drive home the point.
First, ITP? Second, please quote whatever post of mine you're referring to because I don't recall. Third, I don't even understand what you're saying here.

Reactions: 3 users
giphy.gif

First, ITP? Second, please quote whatever post of mine you're referring to because I don't recall. Third, I don't even understand what you're saying here.

itp = In this post, second: I'm not digging it up, but I think it was in a U PENN's school thread, but you were asking why some dude didn't have as good of a cycle as you expected when he had amazing stats. Stats aren't everything in spite of this being SDN and med schools being selective.

You do realize that Stanford is private school and has no preference for CA applicants?
What's your point? The acceptance rate for OOS applicants is actually slightly higher than for CA applicants to Stanford.

it's still a school in my state, unless Palo Alto is now an international OOS zone.

Doesn't come close to driving home the point because, in general, high stats do = success.

itp = In this post, second: I'm not digging it up, but I think it was in a U PENN's school thread, but you were asking why some dude didn't have as good of a cycle as you expected when he had amazing stats. Stats aren't everything in spite of this being SDN and med schools being selective.
Oh, you mean @trino. You're actually mistaken since I was not surprised he/she didn't get accepted to a bunch of places, I was surprised at the number of pre-interview rejections.

With regard to stats, your highest MCAT is four points below their accepted 10th percentile. Stats aren't everything, but you wasted $36.
it's still a school in my state, unless Palo Alto is now an international OOS zone.
Forgive me if I'm surprised the negligible chance Stanford provides you to stay in Cali outweighs the terrible perception you have of the school.

Essentially, yes. Though technically, it would be a nationally OOS zone.

fair enough it's still part of CA and wouldn't love to stay in CA.

:confused:So which is it...?

first post was an implication about his post here he discusses stats. the point is stats aren't everything.

Doesn't come close to driving home the point because, in general, high stats do = success.

the correlation is there but it isn't responsible for success in its entirety.

Oh, you mean @trino. You're actually mistaken since I was not surprised he/she didn't get accepted to a bunch of places, I was surprised at the number of pre-interview rejections.

With regard to stats, your MCAT is four points below their accepted 10th percentile. Stats aren't everything, but you wasted $36.

Forgive me if I'm surprised the negligible chance Stanford provides you to stay in Cali outweighs the terrible perception you have of the school.

and it's my money so I do what i want with it, you act like I don't know that it's probably a waste of cash, but still I'm trying and stats still aren't everything. your comment about being mistaken is semantical at best and the point still stands. stats ain't everything.

nah i'm right, you just cant get over the whole "this is sdn where we flex our muscles to our stats driven aren't we godly rhetoric". it'll never be everything hence the dude and his preinterview rejects you didnt understand.

In the poster's defense, you've quoted the first instance out of context.
Fair enough, I guess I was just trigger happy on the attack. However, if you check mrh's post history you'll find inconsistent stances on this.

Fair enough, I guess I was just trigger happy on the attack. However, if you check mrh's post history you'll find inconsistent stances on this.

anything's inconsistent if you ignore the context of what it falls under, which you're of course doing.

No question, the dude is wrong

Dude you're still doing it.

and you should buy a safety blanket with "39 mcat" written on it for this upcoming cycle to give your sdn stats driven rhetoric. maybe even get a mug that says #1 mcat scorer

and you should buy a safety blanket with "39 mcat" written on it for this upcoming cycle to give your sdn stats driven rhetoric. maybe even get a mug that says #1 mcat scorer
A 39 MCAT sounds like a nice safety blanket to me. Actually, I'd feel safe with a 34-35.

anything's inconsistent if you ignore the context of what it falls under, which you're of course doing.
I admitted my post in question was out of context, and thus not really fair. I'd retract it but it's been quoted so whatever. However, if you or anyone who's that interested peruses your post history you'll/they'll see incongruent view points on this topic.

anything's wrong if you neglect the context.
you're all wrong c wut i did there.

Alright, I'll spell it out for you. GTLO (as I've nicknamed him without permission) argued with the link to the 'strawman fallacy' that you misunderstood me when I said that in general, high stats = success. You will notice the emphasis on the "in general" part of the previous sentence. I'm saying that for most people most of the time, there is a correlation between statistics and acceptance percentage. This is undeniable (see the pinned thread in the WAMC forum). You ignored the fact that I am simply stating that the correlation exists by saying that high stats do not make an application in 'its entirety'. I'm not arguing that they do, only that applicants with high stats tend to be more successful than applicants with lower stats.

Have a good one. Sorry if I came across as being overly critical. This was not my intention.

Reactions: 1 users
I admitted my post in question was out of context, and thus not really fair. I'd retract it but it's been quoted so whatever. However, if you or anyone who's that interested peruses your post history you'll/they'll see incongruent view points on this topic.

think harder. let me spell it out of for you: the best way to understand an alternative point of view to explore the possibility of that point of view being right and ask what you can do when that given information is right. diff povs give you different options of what you can do. povs range from "you're toast bc mcat score is low beep beep boop statistics data which can be interpreted in a multitude of different ways covers the accuracy of this pov", hence the retake the mcat. seeing what else i can do - well that's a given. it's called being proactive if you dont consider information from a multitude of povs and interpretations, good luck understanding any ethical issue.

if you're trapped and running out of options considering and trying to dissect and involve an alternative POV is awesome. there's also totally diff contexts to p much everything, then you can fall back on what you've got if it doesn't work. if it does,that's more you know. next time do me a favor and don't even bother talking when something goes over your head.

Also, sometimes I just like ****ing around and dont post seriously, deal w/ it. my stanford post in this thread was hardly meant to be taken seriously about probation though it is elitist.

Last edited:
Since we're talking about me...my dad bought me that mug for Christmas.

Last Christmas he got me a copy of the MSAR along with LizzyM's advice of how to use it.

In all seriousness, miracles happen, good luck to you.

Since we're talking about me...my dad bought me that mug for Christmas.

Last Christmas he got me a copy of the MSAR along with LizzyM's advice of how to use it.

In all seriousness, miracles happen, good luck to you.
thanks.
seriously to the mug? that sounds kind of cool. your mcat score is still awesome btdubz, as is your gpa and case western acceptance.

A 39 MCAT sounds like a nice safety blanket to me. Actually, I'd feel safe with a 34-35.

lol who wouldn't?! :) it helps like hell, but it isnt everything.

thanks.
seriously to the mug? that sounds kind of cool. your mcat score is still awesome btdubz, as is your gpa and case western acceptance.
Haha no the mug wasn't serious. I got a smile and pat on the back.

I'm glad that most of you realize how ridiculous many of the LCME citations are. Baylor Med is still a wonderful (and fully accredited) medical school with a vibrant student body in an ever-growing medical center. Hope you all still consider applying! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm glad that most of you realize how ridiculous many of the LCME citations are. Baylor Med is still a wonderful (and fully accredited) medical school with a vibrant student body in an ever-growing medical center. Hope you all still consider applying! :)
My only concern with Baylor is the summer humidity.

I met a Baylor rep a few months ago at a convention held by AAMC. The very first thing he said to me was "Is your MCAT a 36?" I said no. He moved his eyes elsewhere and began ignoring me. I was the only person at his booth. Thanks, Baylor rep