Baylor or Tulane? Insights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got the call from Baylor!! It's really exciting, but i had been so excited about going to Tulane. I like Tulane better in terms of location, atmosphere, students, etc, but it's so expensive. I know Baylor is more prestigious, but i'm a little bit intimidated by the competition there, the less friendly atmosphere, the denser curriculum, etc. Also i wanted to get my MPH at Tulane.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to be perhaps higher up in the class rank at a school where i am happier and more comfortable, than the opposite at a more prestigious school which i still like, just not as much). I don't know as much about Byalor as i should either. Can anybody give me some (constructive!!) advice? Support? Insight into these schools? Anything? I've lost all perspective. Thanks, People!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds as though YOU feel you would be better off at Tulane. I have 2 girlfriends who are MS1's at Baylor and both are loving it. They are both passing everything and would be satisfied if they honor one class. I think that they enjoy student life there ( they are working on the annual video production "12 Days" and having a lot of fun with it. I don't think either feels the environment is overly competitive. It sounds as though the "gunners" are kind of looked down on. One of the things that they both really like is the abbreviated basic science period- they will begin clinicals in January instead of June.

That is about all I can offer (and it is second hand!) My advice is to go check out the school again and see if you think it will be a good fit for you. Good luck and congrats on your multiple acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go baylor. Its on a pass/fail system so its really not as competetive as you would think. I have a friend thats an MSII and she likes it. I think the idea that its competitive just comes from the fact that its a prestigous school.

Plus you can't beat the clinical experience you will get in the texas med center. You will work with really well-known docs who can probably write you really great letters of recommendations when it comes time to apply for those competitive residencies.

When I interivewed there I talked to a fourth year that was going to be doing an ENT residency which is really competitive. She said that normally you have to be in the top 10% of your class. But she was only in the top half but she got the residency postition b/c of baylor's name and her rec letters.

There are students there doing an MPH through UT-Houston. I did my MPH there and its a really laid back program. You should have no trouble with it.

Also, the fact that baylor is MUCH cheaper counts for alot. I know students that don't take tuition into accout b/c they feel like paying back their loans is so 'far off.'

But one day it will hit you and you will have those loans accumulating interest during residency etc. Baylor gives you the best bang for your buck. Especially if you b/c a texas resident. It will be insanely cheap compared to other private med schools...somewhere in the 6,000-7000 p/yr range.

Baylor is the better school: ranked 12th vs Tulane not in the top 50.

Baylor is the cheaper school.

Easy choice.

Tulane does not participate in the rankings (I assume you refer to the USNWR rankings). The Gourman Report, which many think is more accurate, ranks Tulane #16, Baylor is not in thier top 20. Regardless, I don't believe in rankings. It means nothing to me as an individual who is looking to optimize his med school experience. I see them as different schools, but "better" doesn't mean much. Usually people mean "more prestigious" when they say "better," but prestige is just one factor among many to consider. For instance, if i were able to make better grades in the less dense basic science years, that might be more beneficial than a less quantifiable "prestige" factor. It's hard to argue with a number. I just don't know, it's all speculation...

could you guys tell me where I could find theGorman report.. i want to look at both Us ranking and canadian ranking...thank you

The Gourman Report #'s are listed in the 1998 edition of the P.R.'s "The Best Medical Schools."

However, in a previous thread, no one could answer the question, "What is the methodology/criteria for the Gourman Report?" Call me a skeptic, but unless I know the basis for a ranking system, it doesn't mean anything.

Anybody know the answer?

I found this ranking on the net. Supposedly Gourman relies less on opinions stated by administrators who submit a reply to USNWRs' questionaires. I don't know though. You can order the book through amazon.com.

Bear in mind that only a fraction of the administrators/schools replied to the subjective parts of the questionaires. Here is a quote from the USNWR methodology:

"medical school deans and senior faculty were asked to rate each school's overall academic quality, as well as the quality of its primary-care program, on a scale of "marginal" (1) to "distinguished" (5). The response rate was 51 percent for medical schools and 68 percent for osteopathic schools. A school's average score accounts for 20 percent of its overall rank"

There's a lot of room there for subjectivity. Only 51% of deans replied. That counts for 20% of the overall score. Where did they get 20%? How is that justified. Did you only consider "academic quality" 20% worth in making your decisions? My point is that the USNWR methodolgy is not unreasonable, but should only be considered with an unbelievably huge gigantic grain of salt.

Personally, i'm confused because i'm trying to decide between Baylor (ranked 12 by USNWR, not in top 30 by Gourman) and Tulane (ranked 16 by Gourman, doesn't participate in the USNWR ranking because htey think it's a sham). Niether is "right" or "wrong," just "more or less well-thought out generalizing."

Gourman Report Top 30 Medical Schools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rank..School

1.......Harvard
2.......Johns Hopkins
3.......Pennsylvania
4.......California, San Francisco
5.......Yale
6.......Chicago, Pritzker
7.......Columbia
8.......Stanford
9.......Cornell
10.....Michigan
11.....UCLA
12.....Duke
13.....New York University
14.....Northwestern
15.....Minnesota
16.....Tulane
17.....Rochester
18.....Washington University
19.....Vanderbilt
20.....California, San Diego
21.....Virginia
22.....North Carolina
23.....Tufts
24.....California, Davis
25.....Boston University
26.....Indiana
27.....Wisconsin
28.....Illinois
29.....Iowa
30.....Washington

Carp - I would urge you to write down a list of criteria that are important to YOU. Then prioritize the list and compare Baylor vs. Tulane.

My personal opinion is that these rankings are of very marginal utility. I still have not heard/read an answer to the question concerning the methodology of the Gourman Rankings. With regard to USNWR, the methodology is offered, so you can decide if you wish to be concerned with their results.

The bottom line to me is: where will you be happiest (which usually translates into improved performance
smile.gif
)and does one school help you achieve your goals better than the other?

Good luck and don't lose perspective. You have a wonderful choice to make
smile.gif