Baylor or UT San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalklaus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted by all 3 texas schools(Baylor, San Antonio, and Houston), plus 3 out of state schools.
And, I've boiled it down to two schools: Baylor and San Antonio.
I want to know what y'all think about the two. Please advise. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

San Antonio vs Baylor

Dallas vs San Antonio

Good school vs Good Research school

Remolded vs looking at getting remolded

Heard decision, I've heard great things about both, both have really high pass rates on the boards, either way you get a great education at really cheap price.

I guess it would boil down to personal decisions,
Dallas area versus San antonio area. IS your family in either one of those cities.

What I have heard, is that San Antonio is somewhat more competive as far as students being competitive. (rumor though)

Congrats

HD

hockeydentist said:
San Antonio vs Baylor

Dallas vs San Antonio

Good school vs Good Research school

Remolded vs looking at getting remolded

Heard decision, I've heard great things about both, both have really high pass rates on the boards, either way you get a great education at really cheap price.

I guess it would boil down to personal decisions,
Dallas area versus San antonio area. IS your family in either one of those cities.

What I have heard, is that San Antonio is somewhat more competive as far as students being competitive. (rumor though)

Congrats

HD

I would agree with HD. I have also been accepted by all three schools and having lots of trouble deciding, though in the end, geography may be a big factor (I am from Austin, my wife has a job at UT-Austin, etc.)

In general, I would say UT-SA's campus is a little more attractive, but I am unsure about the whole laptop initiative. Frankly, I am worried about losing notes made on the e-textbooks being lost prior to important board exams. I have heard that the courses generally give you packets and slide printouts so you don't always study from a computer screen. Parking seems to be more realistic and the area of town seems more affordable for a living in a nice place. I have a friend whose husband just finished med school at SA and they had bought a nice little house for about $110K during his education. At SA you get your own clinical bay with a little desk that is seperated by some walls. In addition, SA starts earlier than the other schools (July).

At Baylor, you do all your own lab work, which can be a plus in terms of building skill and being able to critique lab work, but a minus in terms of time. I was really impressed with the faculty at Baylor and the attitude that they have towards students. I didn't get to meet that many faculty members at UT-SA.

You didn't really mention Houston, but you really have to give them credit for the general excitement of their student body, the research philosophy, and their overall presentation of their school. Houston would be a great city to live in, but the commute would be a similiar situation to Dallas. All the students at UT Houston seemed very lively and not really run down, which I thought was really interesting.

Very tough choices to make in the next 45 days. I am going to let it sit until after finals and the holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to all three for the '06 cycle, and I haven't visited any of the schools. So take my $0.02 for what it is worth...if anything. However, I have shadowed 3 dentists who have graduated from each of the TX schools. Based on what I have learned from them, my preference is to Baylor.

It seems to me that the dentist who graduated from Baylor was more confident and competent enough to have his own practice when he graduated, whereas the others (SA and Houston) felt that they needed to be an associate for a while or do a residence in GPR. Once I get more into the application cycle and visit these schools, I may change my mind.

By the way, what are your guys' stats? Are they posted on the stat page?

TX HOPEFUL

All three schools have there own thing to boast. Personally, after seeing what each had to offer...

It would be fantastic if you could take the program from Baylor, the relaxedness of the school/city from Houston, and the facilities of San Antonio.

I was really really impressed with how much more work in general the Baylor 4th years seemed to have accomplished over those at the other schools. Seemed...super competent. However, it's in Dallas...(not a fan)...and...wasn't accepted :) So, that makes things a wee bit easier.

Houston is sooo laid back, and everyone seems really friendly. Good interaction between faculty and students. But the facilities aren't near as beautiful as San Antonio's and the Med Center is hectic stuff. But I for one, like that.

San Antonio...seems to be pretty stiff as far as competitiveness. I really like the facilities and the town's pretty nice. I didn't really get a good vibe from the faculty/students just because didn't get to see them much. Although those we did talk to seemed really nice. Lots of comraderie (sp?) between students/faculty...Dr. Thomas showed pics of them hanging out and everything although I don't imagine that's an all the time thing.

Decisions...Decisions...

Good point Beachluvr about SA. I forgot to mention I liked that their students belonged to teams that included folks from all four years. The students seemed friendly enough with each other and if you are not looking to specialize (me), then it really shouldn't matter much about the competition factor.

TX Hopeful said:
I am applying to all three for the '06 cycle, and I haven't visited any of the schools. So take my $0.02 for what it is worth...if anything. However, I have shadowed 3 dentists who have graduated from each of the TX schools. Based on what I have learned from them, my preference is to Baylor.

It seems to me that the dentist who graduated from Baylor was more confident and competent enough to have his own practice when he graduated, whereas the others (SA and Houston) felt that they needed to be an associate for a while or do a residence in GPR. Once I get more into the application cycle and visit these schools, I may change my mind.

By the way, what are your guys' stats? Are they posted on the stat page?

TX HOPEFUL

Here are my stats:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=145416

GPA = 3.59; Science = 3.71 (at time of submission)

Also, the dentist I shadowed was also from Baylor and is an extremely competent dentist and well respected in the state. I went to the Texas Meeting with him in SA last year and tons of people kept asking him for his opinion and expertise on things. With that being said, he keeps pushing me towards San Antonio as he spends time periodically on their campus and really likes what he sees (he has lost touch a little with Baylor given the location).

I think you'll find students from all three schools starting up practices immediately upon graduation. That really has more to do with the individual than the school from which they graduated. A lot of it is financial (there is more of an initial sacrafice starting up from day 1) and a lot of it is how confident you are in practice management. There are differences in how clinic runs b/w the 3 schools, but all three will prepare you enough to start up your own practice when you graduate if that's your goal.

Good luck in your decision process. I know it's not easy.

Did everyone receive a scholarship letter who has thus far received the acceptance letter from Baylor?? Just checkin!!!

FutureToothDoc said:
Did everyone receive a scholarship letter who has thus far received the acceptance letter from Baylor?? Just checkin!!!

I did.

dentalklaus said:
I've been accepted by all 3 texas schools(Baylor, San Antonio, and Houston), plus 3 out of state schools.
And, I've boiled it down to two schools: Baylor and San Antonio.
I want to know what y'all think about the two. Please advise. Thanks.

Baylor is in Waco, isnt it? Its been a while since i been there. Its a smaller place then San Antonio. I liked San Antonio a lot, as far as the atmosphere is concerned.

Baylor has great academics, San Antonio seemed to have good facilities. Maybe make another trip over Christmas break to get a feel, if you still have that long.

JamesD said:
Baylor is in Waco, isnt it? Its been a while since i been there. Its a smaller place then San Antonio. I liked San Antonio a lot, as far as the atmosphere is concerned.

Baylor has great academics, San Antonio seemed to have good facilities. Maybe make another trip over Christmas break to get a feel, if you still have that long.

Baylor undergrad and Law are in Waco. Med and Dental are in Dallas.

TX Hopeful said:
Baylor undergrad and Law are in Waco. Med and Dental are in Dallas.

Baylor medical is in Houston. The dental school is not associated with Baylor at all. It is part of the Texas A&M system following about 30 years as an independent institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
bpenly said:
Baylor medical is in Houston. The dental school is not associated with Baylor at all. It is part of the Texas A&M system following about 30 years as an independent institution.

You're right...my bad. I have a friend doing her residence in Dallas (MD) so I was assuming that Baylor med was there as well. Thanks.

I am jealous. I haven't heard from TX schools yet...ya'll are too smart!

anyone else?????

My heart tells me to choose Dallas but my wallet would be more happy in SA. :confused:

SA is a great school, and the clinic is not as open as the one at dallas

Baylor has a big patient pool...I loved the school.

Beachluvr-

Did u get a scholarship letter as well?? Anybody get a letter from Baylor w/o a scholarship offer??

No scholarship for the Beach. I didn't even get accepted there, although I can't say that I'm disappointed by that. I really liked the school, but my favorites have always been Houston and San Antonio. It's a location thing and a feeling I got.

Baylor is more technology driven, thus more prestige gets presented upon them.

Hd

Based on all the advice along with my limited research. I decided to put down the summary. But if you find any discrepancies and have more points to add, please post. UTSA does not have much stuff on the web.

For Baylor:
1) In 1993, ranked no. 13 in the nation (US NEWS) and no. 25 (Gourman Report).
2) From BCD web, “Baylor College of Dentistry was named one of the top four dental institutions nationwide for periodontology, endodontics and geriatric dentistry by American Health Magazine.” http://www.tambcd.edu/html/about.html
3) Just got additional $2.8mil funding. Quote from BCD web: “received a $2.8 million award from the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute for Dental and Craniofacial Research. The two-year research infrastructure enhancement grant is one of only seven awarded to dental schools throughout the country, and BCD is the only recipient in Texas.”
4) City of Dallas has much things to do. School is located right at downtown.
5) Newly remodeled facility. A great indoor place to learn/study.
6) Each student gets a state of art mannequin in sim lab (didn’t see that at SA during my interview tour). Definitely it will help me to get hands-on quicker.
7) Prestige. Technology driven, and the name “Baylor” sounds good, although it is no longer affiliated.
8) More scholarship availability.
9) Students seem to have more work (lab work), and look more confident and more competent.
10) Starting using laptop (some classes only) for Year 2005.
11) Start school in August.

For SA,
1) In 1993, ranked no. 1 in the nation at US NEWS and no. 32 at Gourman Report.
2) Located outside downtown. So, it is more peaceful with less traffic and a cheaper place to rent/buy a house near school.
3) Clinic chairs are in semi-enclosed rooms. More privacy.
4) Student has his/her own personal desk in a little quiet area that shared with 7 other students. 8 students share one old mannequin.
5) Students are more laid back.
6) E-textbook (some classes provide handouts)
7) Start school in July.

I could not find research work on SA web. Shoot me some links if you find some.

STATS: ($=scholarship)
Baylor: DentalKlaus($), bpenly ($), trypmo($), escarsega (?),Shakazulu(?), bigbevo34(?), 2th ($),
SA: DentalKlaus, bpenly, beachLuvr, trypmo, escarsega, laura83, Shakazulu, 2th,
Houston: Dental Klaus, bpenly, beachLuvr, trypmo, escarsega

Great comparison!!!! I think I am going to choose Baylor eventually. SA is also known to be a good research school.

Just adding myself to the list:

Baylor: DentalKlaus($), bpenly ($), trypmo($), escarsega (?),Shakazulu(?), bigbevo34(?), 2th ($), laura83 ($)
SA: DentalKlaus, bpenly, beachLuvr, trypmo, escarsega, laura83, Shakazulu, 2th,
Houston: Dental Klaus, bpenly, beachLuvr, trypmo, laura83, escarsega

The rankings a little outdated but who cares, totally agree with you on the privacy of the cubicles at UTSA.

Wow there are a lot of people on here with multiple acceptances. great showing folks.

HD

Adding myselft to the list as well:

Baylor: DentalKlaus($), bpenly ($), trypmo($), escarsega (?),Shakazulu(?), bigbevo34(?), 2th ($), laura83 ($)
SA: DentalKlaus, bpenly, beachLuvr, trypmo, escarsega, laura83, Shakazulu, 2th, FutureToothDoc
Houston: Dental Klaus, bpenly, beachLuvr, trypmo, laura83, escarsega[/QUOTE]

Okay, so I interviewed with Baylor on Nov. 29th and got my letter on Dec 2nd....but here's the problem I didn't interview with SA until this week, so I missed first round with them...but here's the problem. Baylor also gave me a scholarship, or at least a little bit of one...but their response date is Jan 14. I'm pretty sure I'm in at SA, but I won't get a letter until Jan 10...I don't know which school to choose. SA had awesome facilities, but then Baylor has a better reputation right? I know rankings don't mean much, but when it comes down to it, is the Baylor name worth more than San Antonio? Help, and info would be great! Slightly confusing predicament...also does anyone have any info on air force scholarships?

Any thoughts?

A little advice for those of you trying to decide between Baylor, San Antonio and Houston. Always pick Baylor first and then Houston. If you have no other option whatsoever you can settle with San Antonio. If you do end up settling with San Antonio, and I ever get an acceptance letter from them, I'll see you there.

Brux I assume you are hoping to get an acceptance letter second round from San Antonio then?

What kind of things would make you think always pick baylor first, then houston?

Bruxomaniac said:
A little advice for those of you trying to decide between Baylor, San Antonio and Houston. Always pick Baylor first and then Houston. If you have no other option whatsoever you can settle with San Antonio. If you do end up settling with San Antonio, and I ever get an acceptance letter from them, I'll see you there.

no, no, thats not right, you pick Baylor then san Antonio, that leaves Houston all to me :laugh:

January 10, I thought 2nd round doesn't offically kick off untill January 15 after the first deposit.

HD

OK, you can have Houston. So the official rule is:
ALWAYS PICK BAYLOR NO MATTER WHAT!

Alright...Thought I had it all figured out that the choice was b/t Baylor and SA and have recently been down to Houston for an interview and now I'm super confused..Anyone got some practical info about comparisons b/t the schools..I know everyone always talks about environment, student attitudes, etc. but what else is there..Is there a clear advantage to being in the Medical Center @ Houston??Does SA offer an advantage w/the laptops??Does Baylor's reputation and sim lab make it the best choice??AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

I say we get someone from each school/city to root for their area school, as they would know it best. Seems like a lot of decisions to be made by a lot of folks.

Since I'm from H-town, I'll start for Houston:

Pros for the school/city:

Very Busy. Faster than San Antonio. Not sure how it would compare to Dallas.

Lots to do. From theaters, to amusement parks (new one coming in Galveston :oops:> ),galleria, zoos/parks, festivals, beach access, Rice Village, the Montrose, clubs/bars, awesome resturaunts, Astros/Texans games, etc. always somethng to do.

3 hrs. from San An. and Austin, 5 from Dallas, few hours from New Orleans if you'r a Mardi Gras/gambling sort of person.

It's hot as all get out. We finally (in MID December) reached a jacket-requiring temperature. It's also very humid. More humid than San Antonio.

The school is in the Medical Center - The largest medical center in the country: Great for research opportunities and to interact with colleagues of other health divisions.

The school atmospere is very laid back.

Housing is cheap (depending on your lifestyle requirements).

Plus you'll get to meet Beachluvr :) Okay, I'll stop...

Feel free to copy, paste and add to the list for Houston

Beachluvr

WE GOT GOOD FOOOD!

WIth all that good food, we become the fattest city in america, oh wait isn't san antonio the fattest city.

beachy, are you going to UT houston??

HD

Ummmmmmm actually....I've been pretty non-commital as of 12/13/10.

I love both cities, both schools...

I'll make a decision by late December, God help me.

Beach

I am sure what ever decision you make, it will be for the best.

HD

I checked out the academic calender for Baylor and UTSA and noticed something interesting. Evidently, UTSA begins the Fall earlier and ends later than Baylor, begins the Spring earlier and they both end the school year around the same time. It is roughly a month difference. Is the Baylor curriculum more condensed? That extra month off is certainly appealing. Does anyone know anything about it?

http://www.tambcd.edu/academiccalendar/Articles/2004-2005-ApprovedandRevi.html

http://studentservices.uthscsa.edu/academicinfo/academcal.html

Very interesting...hmm...i think i'd rather have more time off...hmm...good point

San Antonio has longer semesters to make up for the fact that they have less summer requirements than Baylor and Houston.

Bruxomaniac said:
San Antonio has longer semesters to make up for the fact that they have less summer requirements than Baylor and Houston.

I'm a DS1 at UTHSC San Antonio and hopefully I can clear up a few things for y'all. Our laptops are incredible (my med student neighbor borrows it for his work because even though his lectures are not on there, the search capabilities are just that good), we DO get a printed manual for each class and the professors teach from these, allowing them to pool info from several sources into what they find important and most needed for the boards, and each lecture and lab manual is also on the laptop with direct links to the pictures the teachers want you to know. We take notes mainly in the manuals or on downloaded powerpoints. Lecture halls and library have wireless internet, cubicles have hard wire. For those worried about hurting their eyes, go to Best Buy and look at laptops - they are much easier to look at then glaring desktop monitors.
Our individual cubicle work areas are great, both for labwork and studying. I initially liked Baylor for that huge room with the long tables simply because of the dummy heads, but if my whole class had to do all their work in one room and in addition I had no independent place to study, I think I would go insane. Whoever said the thing about one dummy head for 8 students, I have no clue what you are talking about... Also whoever said on another thread that our facilities are old, I again have no clue what you are talking about.
We do have longer semesters than Baylor, which was initially to compensate for having no summer sessions. However that is changing this year... a good question to ask Dr. Thomas or the DS1 who sent you a letter about. I'm not sure how the schedule is changing next year.
Yes, I'm still going... I could give a list of competitive research grants SA won (vs Harvard, Stanford, Yale MED schools) just from presentations I've seen in the few short months I've been here. I don't think I have a single professor who hasn't been published many times - for links read the dental school news link. For example the endo head is considered a top 5 pain researcher in the world, yes, WORLD. If you like research, this is the place to be. Also look into the DDS/PhD program if you are serious about research and teaching.
As for picking a school based on the amount of things to do in the city, the number one thing you'll be doing is studying, so choose based on the school.
As for competitiveness, everyone is very smart and everyone studies a lot, which is going to be the same at all the schools. While you are always going to have the gunners, even the gunners are willing to help each other out. Computers help on this - for example, when someone takes great notes on a lecture or takes a wordy narrative of a reading and condenses it into an outline, usually they email it out to everyone. We even had people take digital photos thru microscopes of all our histology slides, put them into a quiz format on powerpoint, and pass a CD copy of it around the class for us to copy (saving TONS of time spent in the histo lab). No promises but these types of resources will probably be put on the notes supplement CD the freshman class always makes for the incoming class.
Sorry this got so long -- I intially was just going to put that our computers are cool, but I got a lil carried away. Lemme know if you have any questions and when you are coming for interviews or to look at the school again - - I'll give you yet another tour.
PS Chances are you will be happy wherever you go, and you will definitely get a good education and come out a competent dentist at any of the three.
However, San Antonio's still the best (but I may be biased :) )

TexDent2008 said:
I'm a DS1 at UTHSC San Antonio and hopefully I can clear up a few things for y'all. Our laptops are incredible (my med student neighbor borrows it for his work because even though his lectures are not on there, the search capabilities are just that good), we DO get a printed manual for each class and the professors teach from these, allowing them to pool info from several sources into what they find important and most needed for the boards, and each lecture and lab manual is also on the laptop with direct links to the pictures the teachers want you to know. We take notes mainly in the manuals or on downloaded powerpoints. Lecture halls and library have wireless internet, cubicles have hard wire. For those worried about hurting their eyes, go to Best Buy and look at laptops - they are much easier to look at then glaring desktop monitors.
Our individual cubicle work areas are great, both for labwork and studying. I initially liked Baylor for that huge room with the long tables simply because of the dummy heads, but if my whole class had to do all their work in one room and in addition I had no independent place to study, I think I would go insane. Whoever said the thing about one dummy head for 8 students, I have no clue what you are talking about... Also whoever said on another thread that our facilities are old, I again have no clue what you are talking about.
We do have longer semesters than Baylor, which was initially to compensate for having no summer sessions. However that is changing this year... a good question to ask Dr. Thomas or the DS1 who sent you a letter about. I'm not sure how the schedule is changing next year.
Yes, I'm still going... I could give a list of competitive research grants SA won (vs Harvard, Stanford, Yale MED schools) just from presentations I've seen in the few short months I've been here. I don't think I have a single professor who hasn't been published many times - for links read the dental school news link. For example the endo head is considered a top 5 pain researcher in the world, yes, WORLD. If you like research, this is the place to be. Also look into the DDS/PhD program if you are serious about research and teaching.
As for picking a school based on the amount of things to do in the city, the number one thing you'll be doing is studying, so choose based on the school.
As for competitiveness, everyone is very smart and everyone studies a lot, which is going to be the same at all the schools. While you are always going to have the gunners, even the gunners are willing to help each other out. Computers help on this - for example, when someone takes great notes on a lecture or takes a wordy narrative of a reading and condenses it into an outline, usually they email it out to everyone. We even had people take digital photos thru microscopes of all our histology slides, put them into a quiz format on powerpoint, and pass a CD copy of it around the class for us to copy (saving TONS of time spent in the histo lab). No promises but these types of resources will probably be put on the notes supplement CD the freshman class always makes for the incoming class.
Sorry this got so long -- I intially was just going to put that our computers are cool, but I got a lil carried away. Lemme know if you have any questions and when you are coming for interviews or to look at the school again - - I'll give you yet another tour.
PS Chances are you will be happy wherever you go, and you will definitely get a good education and come out a competent dentist at any of the three.
However, San Antonio's still the best (but I may be biased :) )

great info

HD

IMHO,
All Texas dental schools are good schools and will produce quality dentists.
But, based on my research and experience during interview (facility, dental student quality, prestige) I've decided that Baylor is the one for me.
Please do your own DD.

Oh, by the way, Austin is the best city in Texas :laugh:

bigsmile said:
IMHO,
But, based on my research and experience during interview (facility, dental student quality, prestige) I've decided that Baylor is the one for me.
Please do your own DD.

Bigsmile,

Just curious, but what tipped the scale for you with Baylor? In your research, what did you find that gave Baylor the edge? Did you think Baylor had better facilities over the private cubicles and technology at San Antonio?

I'm just wondering, becasue I've found it challenging to pinpoint answers such as prestige, quality, etc.

I've already decided on Baylor, but being from the Dallas area, I hear a lot about Baylor and was just curious about non-Dallas res opinions on the school.

Happy Holidays y'all!

bigsmile said:
IMHO,
Please do your own DD.

Did you get accepted to all 3 or just baylor.

HD

Go wherever it is least humid...if there is such a place in Texas.

J2AZ said:
Go wherever it is least humid...if there is such a place in Texas.

we got a nice little snow flurry, kinda cool since it really doesn't get cold in december, let alone on chirstmas. REally nice

Hd

Merry Christmas everyone! It's SNOWING in Houston :cool:

It's nice to see so many texans on sdn now. I remember back when I was applying, there was just a handful of us. Well, I'm a second year at Baylor, so I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I heart Baylor. I believe I made the right choice coming to Dallas even though our program is tough. It seems like each incoming class is getting smarter and smarter. My class has an avg undergrad gpa of 3.5, and this year's 1st year is a 3.7. So naturally it is pretty competitive, but not cut throat. We share everything, old exams/notes...etc. Students and faculties here get along very well.

The SIM lab is for the 2nd years, where we practice indirect visions on the SIM head. All the upperclassmen said the SIM unit prepared them well for seeing real patients and gave them more confidence. We do ALL the lab work starting 2nd year here, I spent quite a bit of time outside of class to complete my work, but that's b/c i'm slow and picky. Some people can finish everything in class and never have to come in during the weekend.

As for research, our school is trying to become bigger at it. Faculties encourage students to do research and are willing to mentor. We do have a combined DDS/PhD program. I personally did some research last summer. It's a good idea if you dont have anything better to do and want to make some money. I took several weeks off to go travel, but still manage to write an abstract (accepted to IADR 2005), got an elective credit for it. It's great. Also, i've gotten to know the faculties better, they are so different in person than they are in class.

We start having our own patients after spring break 2nd year, I don't know how early/late the other schools start theirs. But in the fall of 2nd year, we started prophying patients and taking x-rays.

Oh, one downside i guess comparing to SA is we dont have summer off after 2nd year. So I've heard tons of complaining about not having time off to study for part I.

Oh, another downside is our library sucks. it closes at 9pm. so a lot of us go to UT Southwestern, or SMU or Starbucks to study.

As far as location, it is in a not so nice neighborhood but that's why we have such a huge patient pool.

I tried to cover as much as I could think of.. but if you have more questions, feel free to ask, i'll try my best to answer them.
Good luck to everyone! Go wherever you feel the most comfortable. reputation and technology don't mean anything if you dont like the school, and the people.

Where's the Support for Houston?

Btw: Houston's deposit is only $30, how much is San Antonio and Baylor?

BeachLuvr said:
Btw: Houston's deposit is only $30, how much is San Antonio and Baylor?
SA hasn't asked me for any money yet, not even after I sent in my letter of intent to enroll. Go figure.
:confused: