Baylor or UT San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BeachLuvr said:
Btw: Houston's deposit is only $30, how much is San Antonio and Baylor?

merrry christmas everyone

I will show some love to UT houston, when I get accepted. untill then

I guess knowbody wants to go to UT houston, wonder why??? oh well, more spots opening up for me. yehaw

HD

Members don't see this ad.

Hockeydentist-

Have you not received any acceptance letters yet??

FutureToothDoc said:
Hockeydentist-

Have you not received any acceptance letters yet??

nope,

my interviews for outstate are in january

so I am patiently waiting for the news.

HD

Members don't see this ad :)
Would anybody care to enlighten me about the interview at Baylor, I have one scheduled for January, what I can expect? its kind of late, does that mean this is a interview for the waitlist?? etc, Compared to UT houston interview, which is easier???

take care
HD

hockeydentist said:
Would anybody care to enlighten me about the interview at Baylor, I have one scheduled for January, what I can expect? its kind of late, does that mean this is a interview for the waitlist?? etc, Compared to UT houston interview, which is easier???

take care
HD

I interviewed w/ Baylor in late Nov, and I found it to be totally laidback.

You're supposed to arrive at 10 am, but I recommend arriving about 45 minutes early, because if you are one of the first to arrive, then you are one of the first to leave. At about 10:30 you go upstairs to meet with the dean of admissions, Dr. Jack Long. You meet, talk about the day, blah, blah...then the financial aid people come in and talked for a little while. At about 11:30-11:45 you begin a tour w/ 4th yr. students then go down to the cafeteria for lunch. At 1, you head back upstairs for interviews. They are round robin style and only last about 10-15 min each. You interview w/ two members of admissions committe (usually faculty) and Dr. Long. All interviewees are supposed to interview w/ Dr. Long.

I found it pretty laid back and comfortable. The interviews were very conversational in nature. Sure, you get the usual question, 'why dentistry' but then we also got on tangents about other subjects....then the day ends.

Again, if you're one of the first to arrive, you're one of the first to be done w/ interviews and you get to leave early and don't have to wait around.

Good luck!

naturegirl_1313 said:
I interviewed w/ Baylor in late Nov, and I found it to be totally laidback.

You're supposed to arrive at 10 am, but I recommend arriving about 45 minutes early, because if you are one of the first to arrive, then you are one of the first to leave. At about 10:30 you go upstairs to meet with the dean of admissions, Dr. Jack Long. You meet, talk about the day, blah, blah...then the financial aid people come in and talked for a little while. At about 11:30-11:45 you begin a tour w/ 4th yr. students then go down to the cafeteria for lunch. At 1, you head back upstairs for interviews. They are round robin style and only last about 10-15 min each. You interview w/ two members of admissions committe (usually faculty) and Dr. Long. All interviewees are supposed to interview w/ Dr. Long.

I found it pretty laid back and comfortable. The interviews were very conversational in nature. Sure, you get the usual question, 'why dentistry' but then we also got on tangents about other subjects....then the day ends.

Again, if you're one of the first to arrive, you're one of the first to be done w/ interviews and you get to leave early and don't have to wait around.

Good luck!

thanks for th reply naturegirl

but is that it, where trypmo, laura, goldstar, beachy, I know you guys have something to add.

HD

As naturegirl said it is laid back so just be yourself and arrive early. I was the second person to arrive and was done by 2:45 pm. The 4th year students told us ahead of time that our interviewers were nice, so it was a relief for the group.They asked me what type of books I usually read. Why dentistry? What do I do for fun....some questions about my personal statement...whether I work ..etc
They give you a 10 $ coupon to eat, and most of us had chick filet. (btw we only had 20 minutes to eat)
Also, when you first get there, they give you a paper and you have to write down the classes you are taking next semester (if you are still in college) and if you dropped two classes or more to write down the reasons why or something along these lines.
Hope it helps! :)

:luck:

hockeydentist said:

but is that it, where trypmo, laura, goldstar, beachy, I know you guys have something to add.

HD

laura83 said:
As naturegirl said it is laid back so just be yourself and arrive early. I was the second person to arrive and was done by 2:45 pm. The 4th year students told us ahead of time that our interviewers were nice, so it was a relief for the group.They asked me what type of books I usually read. Why dentistry? What do I do for fun....some questions about my personal statement...whether I work ..etc
They give you a 10 $ coupon to eat, and most of us had chick filet. (btw we only had 20 minutes to eat)
Also, when you first get there, they give you a paper and you have to write down the classes you are taking next semester (if you are still in college) and if you dropped two classes or more to write down the reasons why or something along these lines.
Hope it helps! :)

:luck:
Thanks again
laura, yah that sounds good, I will do my best about getting there early.

HD

Yeah Hockey :) Right on with the above...get yourself there realllll early so you can get out early.

You go upstairs and they give you a packet of info. Then Dr. Long will talk with you, lay out the day. It's in a beautiful room that overlooks Dallas :) He'll ask you repeatedly if you have questions, so...be thou prepared.

I love the cafeteria area. You get to spend $10 Baylor Bucks on whatever you want, and believe me...they send you back to get more if you're not close to $10, so get a cookie or something.

They half of you tour while the other half interview. My interviews were pretty laid back, Dr. Long was my favorite :) Then I had a woman and a man. At the end of the day you can self tour if you'd like. I think I was done before 3, and the last person left around 4. I was like the second or third person to arrive. If you get there early, there's a good diner across the street that serves some mean breakfast.

It's an awesome school. They'll have a really great program and a huge patient pool. They'll harp on how they do their own labwork. I loved it :)

Best wishes Hockey~~~~~

Beach

Hey HD.

Give your leftover Baylor bucks to one of the cashiers. It is good luck.

bpenly said:
Hey HD.

Give your leftover Baylor bucks to one of the cashiers. It is good luck.

Thanks Bpenly

Does anybody know if second round acceptances at UT houston and Baylor will they come out way before January 15 or is it some time after that.

HD

hockeydentist said:
Thanks Bpenly

Does anybody know if second round acceptances at UT houston and Baylor will they come out way before January 15 or is it some time after that.

HD
Mine was sent out on Jan. 9th. I recieved it on Jan 12th I believe.

Beachluvr is going to UT-Houston.

I went down to San Antonio and visited this week, and it was great. But what can I say, UT-Houston...the "family feel" of it all, and having got a taste for it after a summer program there...it's the fit for me. Best wishes this New Year!!

Beachluvr

UTHouston Class of 2009!!

BeachLuvr said:

I went down to San Antonio and visited this week, and it was great. But what can I say, UT-Houston...the "family feel" of it all, and having got a taste for it after a summer program there...it's the fit for me. Best wishes this New Year!!

Beachluvr

Congrats on making the decision Beachluvr

BeachLuvr said:

Beachluvr

:clap:

Nice Beach

I'll see you here next year :D

I have to go with San Antonio. It was a very tough choice made possible only by much beer and dominoes over Christmas. UT Houston probably had the best feel via student population, Baylor for faculty, but UTSA was the best overall package for me given geography, facilities, and faculty.

One more spot open at UT-Houston for you Hockeydentist. Good luck.

bpenly said:
I have to go with San Antonio. It was a very tough choice made possible only by much beer and dominoes over Christmas. UT Houston probably had the best feel via student population, Baylor for faculty, but UTSA was the best overall package for me given geography, facilities, and faculty.

One more spot open at UT-Houston for you Hockeydentist. Good luck.
An excellent choice, my friend! :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

Hey, has SA asked anyone for a deposit yet? They just sent me a form to confirm my intent to matriculate, but nothing further...

hockeydentist said:

HD

Hey HD, sorry I haven't been around in a while! Hoping I'm not too late to interject my $0.02, I guess I'd say the Baylor interview is a little more on the formal side and since there are 3 faculty interviewers you're more likely to get one who will really grill you (I certainly did; I got one with who tried to stare me down and ask some real wrecking-ball questions (I'm SO glad I practised a lot beforehand and had some answers)). My other piece of advice, agreeing with above posts, would be definitely to come up with a batch of really impressive questions to ask when Dr. Long takes the group into a room and gives an introduction to the day: he starts off with "well, do you guys have any questions?" and I could tell he was impressed with the interview group I was in because we had a ton of good questions and our conversation was actually cut short by the financial aid people coming in to give their presentation (he seemed to like that). Best of luck, HD, our thoughts are with you!!

trypmo said:
Hey HD, sorry I haven't been around in a while! Hoping I'm not too late to interject my $0.02, I guess I'd say the Baylor interview is a little more on the formal side and since there are 3 faculty interviewers you're more likely to get one who will really grill you (I certainly did; I got one with who tried to stare me down and ask some real wrecking-ball questions (I'm SO glad I practised a lot beforehand and had some answers)). My other piece of advice, agreeing with above posts, would be definitely to come up with a batch of really impressive questions to ask when Dr. Long takes the group into a room and gives an introduction to the day: he starts off with "well, do you guys have any questions?" and I could tell he was impressed with the interview group I was in because we had a ton of good questions and our conversation was actually cut short by the financial aid people coming in to give their presentation (he seemed to like that). Best of luck, HD, our thoughts are with you!!

Hey Trypmo

Hope you're christmas and new years were fun and relaxing, thanks for the update, I guess I will come in there with my gun slinging questions, and try not to get flustered with the questions they fire at me.

Bpenly thanks for the spot, I hope I get it soon.

HD

Psiyoung-

How can you receive a letter on January 9th when it's only January 5th?? Anyone know or heard any specifics about 2nd round letters from the TX schools??

FutureToothDoc said:
Psiyoung-

How can you receive a letter on January 9th when it's only January 5th?? Anyone know or heard any specifics about 2nd round letters from the TX schools??

If you look at his signature, you da figured out that he is already at dental school.

I called UTH, said sometime in january, hows that for specific.

There is a new aprtament complex opening up called Braodstone Colonnade. The complex is the nicest I've seen in the area and they have great move in specials. A good number of current medical students are moving out there next year icluding myself, so I thought I'd let you guys know about it. If you end up checking it out, tell them Neil from the medical school sent you. She'll hook you up with 4 weeks free prorated over a 12 month lease. If you end up filling out an application, put my namedown, Neil Shah in the referral section. I get a little kick back once you have lived there for a month... once I find out that you put me down as a referral, I'll slip a $50 check into your school mailbox. The complex is really worth checking out... they have a nice gym with multiple treadmills with individual LCD TVs and a indoor basketball court. They have a really nice sports lounge with a kitchen, a huge plasma TV, a nice pool with outdoor TVs, a outdoor poolside fireplace, a a lot of BBQ grills by the pool. The floor plans are big and the interiors are really modern(wooden floors, lofted ceilings, nice views). There information is as follows:

1bd/1bth 568sq ft $577
1bd/1bth 664sq ft $655
1bd/1bth 707sq ft $687
1bd/1bth 858sq ft $779

2bd/2bth 997sq ft $926
2bd/2bth 1099sq ft $995
2bd/2bth 1146sq ft $1045

3bd/3bth 1311sq ft $1350

The typical rent for a 1bd/1bth in the area is $475 to $900 depending on the quality. This complex is the nicest I've seen in the area and not nearly as expensive as the rest of the nicer places. That's why a bunch of med/dent students are moving there next year.

Melissa Garcia (or whoever is working there at the time)
Broadstone Colonnade
4330 Spectrum One
San Antonio, TX 78230
210-877-9926
210-877-9944 fax

Shoot me an email if you end up signing a lease and putting me down as a referral at [email protected]
I'll confirm it with Melissa and then once you've lived there for a month I'll hook you up with your $50.

See you guys at school soon...

Neil
MS-II