Baylor Pediatric Program, TX programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCAT_gal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All :)

Has anyone done a pedo externship at Baylor while studying at another state? How friendly is the program to non-Texans? How did you go about getting an externship there that fit your schedule? Are they open to scheduling with you when its convenient to you and the program, or do they just tell you the dates and you have to work your schedule around that?

To get into the program itself, are they very particular about research experience?

What kind of board scores did the previous year residents have?

Would love to hear from anyone doing a residency there.

Also, anyone with information about other Texas programs like San Antonio and UT Houston, please share!

Please PM me if you do not want to reply on this thread.

Thanks in advance.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I have to admit that I'm interested in this too. After finishing the military, I'd like to do a residency in Texas, pretty much anywhere, just to see where I like it best. I heard that no pasa nada with Houston though. But I'd still go, if it were the only choice.

Jedi's wife here.
I graduated from Baylor's Pedo program 4 years ago. We had externs every once in a while when I was there, from all over, not just Texas. You really only get to observe clinic though, no actual work allowed. I think this is a Texas thing in general, not just Baylor. So I would guess they are pretty open to any schedule, unless someone is already going to be there. Things may have changed though.
As for Board scores, most of the people we interviewed while I was there had scores in the 90's, although there were some who had high 80's. I interviewed at all three programs so might be able to answer other questions.
I don't think they are really picky about research, although anything to boost your resume helps. In my experience they would prefer experience with kids over research.
If you have any questions you can PM Jedi and just tell him it's for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to admit that I'm interested in this too. After finishing the military, I'd like to do a residency in Texas, pretty much anywhere, just to see where I like it best. I heard that no pasa nada with Houston though. But I'd still go, if it were the only choice.

Tooth, what do you mean no pasa nada at Houston? You mean the clinical training is not all that great there?

Which of these programs is mainly hospital based and more trauma and which ones are more clinical and more like private practice with little hospital experience?

Tooth, what do you mean no pasa nada at Houston? You mean the clinical training is not all that great there?

Which of these programs is mainly hospital based and more trauma and which ones are more clinical and more like private practice with little hospital experience?

Sorry, I mean Houston in general, not its program

Hi PCAT_gal,

I am starting my pedo residency at Baylor in June. I did an externship there in the end of my Junior year as well. Message me and I'll give you the low down.

Take care.

Hi All :)

Has anyone done a pedo externship at Baylor while studying at another state? How friendly is the program to non-Texans? How did you go about getting an externship there that fit your schedule? Are they open to scheduling with you when its convenient to you and the program, or do they just tell you the dates and you have to work your schedule around that?

To get into the program itself, are they very particular about research experience?

What kind of board scores did the previous year residents have?

Would love to hear from anyone doing a residency there.

Also, anyone with information about other Texas programs like San Antonio and UT Houston, please share!

Please PM me if you do not want to reply on this thread.

Thanks in advance.:thumbup:

I did not extern at Baylor, but I interviewed there and really liked the program. Lots of facilities= lots of driving in Dallas traffic and little cleft work, but it really seemed like a solid program. I'm starting San Antonio's program next week and externed there-- got a LOT of hands-on experience. The only observing I did was in the OR. San Antonio has more didactic training and less OR time, but after 20-30 OR cases, it seems like you'd have the basic routine down. San Antonio does less OR primarily due to the patient population. There are a lot of folks here who not only cannot afford to send their child to the OR, but also are ineligible for Medicaid, so that translates to a TON of sedation experience. Hope that helps a little. Best of luck!

PCAT girl...

If you are interested in pedo programs in TX and want to do externships... then Baylor and San Antonio are the two places to pick. They have their similarities and differences... I think you would have a good experience at either place. I haven't heard much about Houston's program (reputation-wise, etc). San Antonio's externship was one of the few that let's you do work... which is really nice. Other externship programs don't give you that hands on approach.

Good luck.

I did not extern at Baylor, but I interviewed there and really liked the program. Lots of facilities= lots of driving in Dallas traffic and little cleft work, but it really seemed like a solid program. I'm starting San Antonio's program next week and externed there-- got a LOT of hands-on experience. The only observing I did was in the OR. San Antonio has more didactic training and less OR time, but after 20-30 OR cases, it seems like you'd have the basic routine down. San Antonio does less OR primarily due to the patient population. There are a lot of folks here who not only cannot afford to send their child to the OR, but also are ineligible for Medicaid, so that translates to a TON of sedation experience. Hope that helps a little. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for all the feedback! :) Does anyone know who I should contact at Baylor for an externship? Please PM me if you do not want to post on the thread. Thanks!

Hi I am new to this forum. Can you plz tell me wether there is any International Dental program for foreighn trained dentist in Baylor dental college.If so, what are the requisites? Can you also tell me the no. of International applicants applying to Baylor and Sanantonio schools.
Plz shed some light as I amI am done with part1 and planning to apply.