Baylor people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barrytee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything from the program since you've matched? Anything at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you have recieved the two packages so far. One was a seven megabyte email and the other was a mailing...

may want to get in contact with Joni Owens if you haven't gotten one or the other or both

Cheers! See you in June!

just wanted to say hey to all you guys :) since you'll be stuck with me for 3 years... what schools are you from? UT Houston over here. Just a reminder that the vacation preferences are due pretty soon--i think the 10th so fill them out so you dont get screwed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I'm starting at Baylor.

Where are you guys thinking of living? Any advice from Houston natives?

Anyone else new to Houston?

musicman1991 said:
Where are you guys thinking of living? Any advice from Houston natives?

Hey y'all,
I'll be at Baylor too, and I was also wondering about places to live near the TMC. I've been looking online and there seems to be so many apartments/condos in that area, and realistically I'll probably only be able to check out a handful of them.

Any advice on good places? Any buildings to avoid?

Cheers

PS. Does anyone know if interns/residents get free parking at the hospitals or not?

Dear baylor folks,

hey... I actually just spent the last week looking at stuff in the area, and it all seems to depend on your price range. I went with condos just south of the 610 loop off stella link. the address is 3501 Link Valley Dr. 501. they are brand new, and I have pictures if you want to check out the floor plan...

The website with the highest utility is www.har.com. Easy to use and lists pretty much everything. If you were to look around what I have heard and where I looked was primarily south of the medical center with 610 being the border, west of 288 (ghetto to the east) and then north of the med center is museum district which is great but a little rich for my blood... West of the med center is Rice and the West U area which is pricey as well. If you would like more info let me know. I am not a baylor kid, but I went to Rice undergrad and just finished the condo hunt and so I think I can be of some assistance

Cheers
Sway

ok, I'm leaving Baylor, but ... my favorite apartments are: The Maroneal, Kirby Place, Providence at Kriby, 7777 Greenbriar. All are corporate, so a bit pricey, but VERY nice and real close to the med center. Of course I am too cheap and don't live in any of these ....

I'm thinking more Midtown area. Isn't that the hot spot/trendy area to live in? My friends keep telling me to live there.

Yeah a bit pricier, but I guess for single people worth the money?

flying down in a few weeks to check out the areas.

musicman1991 said:
I'm thinking more Midtown area. Isn't that the hot spot/trendy area to live in? My friends keep telling me to live there.

Yeah a bit pricier, but I guess for single people worth the money?

What's the price range for a 1/1 in midtown?

Prices I found were upper $800's to mid $900. There may be specials though.

Expensive for Houston I guess, but the med center isn't that cheap anymore, I found most nice places are $700-$800.

This is all cheap compared to the Northeast.

I guess it depends on your situation. If you are single and like to go out. Midtown appears to be the closest to a community where you can walk around without using a car much. The light rail stops there too.

If you are married probably doesnt' matter.

My boyfriend and I are moving down from upstate New York, and we just bought a condo on Link Valley too! I think there are 5 condos left that will be done by May; they have 2 more phases of condos under construction; one will be done this fall and the other next year. Holly Hall is another area of condos that we looked at, they are older (built in the 1980's) but some of them have been kept in great condition.

wyelle said:
My boyfriend and I are moving down from upstate New York, and we just bought a condo on Link Valley Dr. too! I think there are 5 condos left that will be done by May; they have 2 more phases of condos under construction; one will be done this fall and the other next year. Holly Hall is another area of condos that we looked at, they are older (built in the 1980's) but some of them have been kept in great condition.

Can you provide contact info for these condos? approx how much are they going for?

For those of you apartment-hunting, the Esplanade (off of Hermann Dr.) is REALLY nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apartment.

I really enjoyed living at Camden-Vanderbilt which is on Buffalo Speedway and Holcombe. It is literally next to a little shopping center which has a Randall's (safeway grocery store), a Barnes and Noble, a Blockbuster, a Chick-fil-a, a liquor store, and other small restaurants and stores. For any Catholics out there, there is also a Catholic Church across the street.

The complex itself is relatively new and is well maintained. I really miss that complex after I moved back to Chicago.

Holly Hall condos range from 130s-160s, and I think you need to go through a real estate agent for "appointments" to see them.
Link Valley condos are priced from 150s-160s. Their contact person is Kelly Glassco at phone # 281.236.9100
Friends of ours rent an apartment at 7777 Greenbriar, which is on the expensive side, but they love it there and it's close to the med center. Good luck house hunting!

I am new to the forum. I am going to Baylor for IM and was wondering about apartments. I am in Houston for one more day and am still having trouble deciding. Does anyone know which apartment complexes most residents live in? I am looking with a realitor, and the places she is taking me to are really expensive (800-900 for a single). These places are close to the med center, but still, they seem rather high for a "cheap city." Also, there are a ton of places that I found on rent.com, and they are pretty cheapr (400-600 for a single), yet I'm not sure if residents live there/how the commute would be ...
I guess my question centers around the idea that it seems that you have to shell out the big bucks if you want to live near the med center along with other residents ... true or false?

Hey, a chance for me to actually be helpful...Leaving Houston for a more expensive housing market:(

Renting...
Yes, Houston is a cheap city to rent. But you're essentially looking in the most expensive part of the city at the nicest places and you're still only paying 800-900$. I'd say that's pretty good compared to Chicago, NYC, Philly, SF, La, etc. A lot of my friends are moving there and will be paying 12-1500 a month. And the places you'll get here for that much are really nice. The problem with living in the corporate places is the management. they suck.

Upscale rentals:
The Post at Midtown (nice but $$)
The Macgregor (downtown views, brand new)
Camden Vanderbilt (nice, mgmt. less evil)
Kirby Place
Providence at Kirby (recently painted vomit-colored though)
Gates at Hermann Park (very nice, great parking, across from park)
The Lanesborough ( a little cheaper than the others, crappier location but very close to TMC, beware the mgmt is the DEVIL and to me it wasn't worth it-consider yourself warned)
There are so many new ones I can't name them all. There is truly no shortage.

Lower rung:
The only way to pay 4-500 a month is to live in a condo owned by someone else and live with them as a roommate. You cannot live in a one bedroom for that unless it is crappy.
Look around condo land for rentals. Condoland=area around Almeda and Holly Hall near the Astrodome, Cambridge runs right through it. There are a ton of little complexes in there, some cheap, some not. Condo land is very close to the med center and TONS of residents and students live there. It's a little sketchier but pretty safe and boring enough. Any good apartment locator should know all of these things.

Buying in Houston:
If you have the means in any way, you should absolutely buy. it's amazing what you can get in Houston for ridiculous prices. Not as ridiculous as a few years ago, but still cheap. And most places will appreciate. I'm sad to be leaving. I had to look in another city (out of state) to buy, another city considerd cheap, and I was depressed. for what we could get. My friend just bought a brand new 2/2 2 story condo in midtown (very nice!) for 164,000. Granted it's an up and coming area within stone's throw of the 5th ward, but believe me she'll sell it for much more and she gets to live in midtown. I recommend buying inside the loop if you can b/c it can be affordable and it will be easier to resell. You can get financing with your md and little else through a couple of banks like compass or bank of america. My boyfriend's mom is a realtor so I have to hear about this stuff all the time. Get a good realtor and you should be able to find a great place in your price range.
Best areas to look:
Condo land (prices 60000-150,000) Cheapest, most residents. We live here and bought our place for 45,000, will sell for about 85,000.
Midtown 150-350,000
WestU/Bellaire (A lot-great area though sometimes you get lucky)
River Oaks (despite it's super-rich rep sometimes you can find older places that are reasonable)
the Heights (a little further out but very classic area with views- more pricey)
Montrose (I love this area and you can find cheaper places (80-100 and up) It's sort of the hip/gay/trendy area and you can walk a lot of places, a rarity in Houston)

Okay, out of breath. Now everyone knows what a loser I am, but you need to know these things, or you may end up in a crap hole.

I just came back from renting a place in Houston. I decided on Midtown.

I probably would have rather lived in walking distance of the Rice Village since I like the bars and restaurants there but that takes a lot more research since there aren't any big complexes that you can easily rent there.

There are 5 or 6 places to rent from there. Rent is $800-$900 (and more if yo uwant to spend it).

There are tons of apartment specials so you should be able to get something for $800

Coming from an expensive city, I don't think this is that much for an apartment that includes w/d, parking/ swimming pool, central air.

You can definitely find cheaper in Houston, but those apartments are crappy and also the clientele at those places can also be hard to live with (not working professionals, can't be noisy, disrespectful). Look around the Astrodome area if that's a concern. I personally found those apartments to be run-down.

Buying can be hit or miss. Everyone says it's a good idea, but with rising interest rates and in the setting of a real estate bubble, I felt better renting and also I could care less about throwing away $800/month when I'm going to make over $200K in 4 years. Of course, I'm single and don't have any real expenses except minimal student loan interest.

I looked into buying in Midtown. This is the only place I would consider buying. YOu will not make $40,000 on a condo you buy in the medical center area nowadays. If anything you will break even. Don't forget closing costs or worse - repairs to your home. They can add up. Anyways to each his own.

good luck and don't cheap out. we are only in our 20's for so long so enjoy it while it lasts.

The Plaza at Museum District is a very nice apartment complex right next to the park. It has a shuttle bus to the Medical Center.

thnx everyone! ... i found a place.
i was also wondering if someone could help me out with something else. I work out about everyday and was wondering if Baylor had a good gym that residents could use, or do they have any deals with local gyms? I saw the 24 hour fitness in a plaza (adjacent to a CVS). Other than that, I did not notice any real gyms around the area. Any insight???

thekid3600 said:
thnx everyone! ... i found a place.
i was also wondering if someone could help me out with something else. I work out about everyday and was wondering if Baylor had a good gym that residents could use, or do they have any deals with local gyms? I saw the 24 hour fitness in a plaza (adjacent to a CVS). Other than that, I did not notice any real gyms around the area. Any insight???

many use the gyms at their apartment complex. i lived at camden vanderbilt. they 2 nice gyms, 3 swimming pools, and a running track that surrounded the man-made lake.

a lot of the baylor students use the UT Houston gym.

Thanks, but I saw those gyms and they were kind of small/didn't have enough equipment. Does UT-Houston cost Baylor residents anything to join? Only asking because I could join a 24 hour fitness here in NY for cheaper than it would be down there and you can use anyone that is affiliated for free.

thekid3600 said:
Thanks, but I saw those gyms and they were kind of small/didn't have enough equipment. Does UT-Houston cost Baylor residents anything to join? Only asking because I could join a 24 hour fitness here in NY for cheaper than it would be down there and you can use anyone that is affiliated for free.

Well as a Baylor resident you can get access to the Baylor gym. It's on top of the parking deck attached to Baylor (main buildings, not the hospital). It costs something (isn't free). Don't know how much. I use my apartment complex's facilities. UT-Houston's facility in Condo Land is pretty nice, I hear. But again, you have to pay. There's no pool at Baylor's place.

retroviridae said:
Well as a Baylor resident you can get access to the Baylor gym. It's on top of the parking deck attached to Baylor (main buildings, not the hospital). It costs something (isn't free). Don't know how much. I use my apartment complex's facilities. UT-Houston's facility in Condo Land is pretty nice, I hear. But again, you have to pay. There's no pool at Baylor's place.

I hear the Baylor gym is crap. The UT Houston gym looks nicer but costs more for non UT-Houston people. If you are serious about working out I would check out the UT Houston gym. the prices for both are easily found on the web.

Thanks everyone. Your input is very appreciated. I guess in the end, I will have to go down and look before joining anything up here in the hopes of transfering a cheaper membership. I guess I'm looking for something more than both Baylor and UT-Houston offer - cable cross, many benches, leg press, etc. Thanks for all the advice!

thekid3600 said:
Thanks everyone. Your input is very appreciated. I guess in the end, I will have to go down and look before joining anything up here in the hopes of transfering a cheaper membership. I guess I'm looking for something more than both Baylor and UT-Houston offer - cable cross, many benches, leg press, etc. Thanks for all the advice!

This is actually my biggest beef with Baylor ... since it is only a med school, you end up lacking many of the "ammenities" that other university programs have. And there doesn't seem to be any desire to fix these kinds of issues (parking would be another sore point). I think Rice has a program to let non-Rice students use their facilities. Again, it's been so long since I looked that up I don't have any idea how much that would cost.

retroviridae said:
This is actually my biggest beef with Baylor ... since it is only a med school, you end up lacking many of the "ammenities" that other university programs have. And there doesn't seem to be any desire to fix these kinds of issues (parking would be another sore point). I think Rice has a program to let non-Rice students use their facilities. Again, it's been so long since I looked that up I don't have any idea how much that would cost.

Rice's gym sucks too though. If you are a serious workout enthusiast, most university gyms don't come close to what you need. I've only seen the big state schools with amazing gyms.

You can find out how much Rice Gym costs on the web. It's expensive unless you are an alumni and even then I don't think I would pay to use it.

retroviridae said:

Yeah its definitely one negative about both the Houston schools, luckily UTH has some more emenities (housing, gym, shuttle service), but even then all the college stuff is missing since Rice isnt exactly a large university nor is Houston exactly a college town. This explains why things are cheap here, but its also a real downer sometimes.

musicman1991 said:
Rice's gym sucks too though. If you are a serious workout enthusiast, most university gyms don't come close to what you need. I've only seen the big state schools with amazing gyms.

You can find out how much Rice Gym costs on the web. It's expensive unless you are an alumni and even then I don't think I would pay to use it.
University of Houston has an amazing fitness center. It's not as close as Rice, but not far either. It's a big state school, about 10 min driving from the Med Center. I used to go there on happier, idle days.

Excellent information guys. I think I might join 24 hr fitness - at least I know I'll get enough equipment/good hours, etc. there. Maybe I'll see if they have a deal with Baylor or TMC employees to get some kind of discount. Also, if anyone else in interested, feel free to contact me so that we could set something up and get a group deal.

Quixote said:
University of Houston has an amazing fitness center. It's not as close as Rice, but not far either. It's a big state school, about 10 min driving from the Med Center. I used to go there on happier, idle days.

Can anyone show up there? I imagine you have to be a student right?

thekid3600 said:
Excellent information guys. I think I might join 24 hr fitness - at least I know I'll get enough equipment/good hours, etc. there. Maybe I'll see if they have a deal with Baylor or TMC employees to get some kind of discount. Also, if anyone else in interested, feel free to contact me so that we could set something up and get a group deal.

also check out Bally's total fitness in the Rice Village

thekid3600 said:
definitely interested. my bf has a membership at 24--we could try to snag something like a family plan (i know, we're not family but you'd be surprised what type of crap you can pull) or group discount. not sure if you will get this or see it before there is residency orientation or not... thekid or anyone else interested in 24 hr fitness, feel free to email me [email protected] to chit chat about it

Dude, houston is soooooo hotttt. I am melting.

musicman--just wait, we're just warming up (literally). come mid august, you will learn to carry napkins in your car so you can turn the wheel and shift. and caution about putting on your seatbelt. it is much more advised to click it only using the fabric portion (requires some skill and practice) rather than attempting to grab the metal portion. pools and beer, and of course, pools OF beer will be your only saving grace. where did you move from? if you're a wiconsin or east coastener, i pity you... native texan here so i barely even notice it.

moving from the northeast. got a place in midtown with a pool.

hey you guys know how much parking is?

congrats on the pool--i may have to start sucking up to you (my apt pool is basically a kiddie restoom) to borrow some pool time :)

if i remember correctly, parking comes out of our paycheck automatically and is damn cheap compared to normal parking. 12 bucks sticks in my head but it may be up to 20. normal parking is 70 bucks/month for hospital employees so i think the school subsidizes some of it.

any baylor incomng interns thinking about hitting one of the upcoming parties? tempted to try out the one on saturday if i can tear myself away from the demanding schedule of sleeping 12 hrs a day and sitting on my butt...

just an FYI--the schedules are up on the website for baylor. i start with bentaub wards. got my one vacation choice that i requested (with 80 bucks) but didnt get anything else i wanted. even got christmas vacation despite not betting ANYTHING on it. crazy, eh? see you guys tuesday!

krkuhl said:
just an FYI--the schedules are up on the website for baylor. i start with bentaub wards. got my one vacation choice that i requested (with 80 bucks) but didnt get anything else i wanted. even got christmas vacation despite not betting ANYTHING on it. crazy, eh? see you guys tuesday!

Doesn't the parking situation suck - now $60/month. This sucks..

I was wondering if someone could point outthe difference between Baylor College of Medicine Program, Houston, TX vs. Baylor University Medical Center Program, Dallas, TX? I assume the houston one is the "better" one?

Thanks!

Btw, $60/mo is not bad considering that it costs $150-200/mo in boston!

:)

Last edited:
Random but quick question. Where do people park, just one garage and shuttle between all the hospitals? Also, how much per month for parking? I remember in interviews that the program doesn't pay for parking. I'm hoping its less that 50bucks per month...

there is not much distance difference between ben taub, st.lukes and va--at least not enough to make a difference in where you choose to live.
condoland is good- easy to get to the med center. the real estate prices have essentially more than doubled from 7-8 yrs ago because of the light rail that runs along there.
condoland is walking distance from reliant stadium (i was an intern living in condoland--traffic during events sucked)
some better options are the lansborough apts, the greenbriar apts, maroneal apt. if you're looking to buy a condo, probably condoland is the most affordable to residents

to give you an idea, you can bike from condoland or the apts I mentioned to ben taub, st. lukes or va. you can walk between all the hospitals except the va (you could actually walk to the va, but it would take a bit too much time to be practical- biking would be no problem. most people drive because it's really hot and humid here. you can also take a shuttle van there and back)
you can easily take the light rail from the greenbriar or lansborough to the medical center. you can walk from the maroneal.
people are assigned to a medical center garage closest to the hospital they are assigned to for the month. parking at the va is free so you just drive from ben taub to the va on your clinic days etc.
sorry, i don't know the current prices for the parking anymore

I'm a fourth year medical student at UT Houston Med School, with only 1official day of medical school left, and I would be more than happy to answer anybody's questions regarding housing in Houston. Baylor's Internal Medicine program is great and you will all be very happy with your match. The worst part is dealing with traffic and parking in TMC! If anyone has any questions about apartments (which are nice, safe, conveinient, etc), or wants advice about condiminium complexes (which are pretty popular among med students and residents (you can own for about the same price as renting) just PM me and I will gladly respond. I must admit that I have a condo that we put on the market recently:D (it is on the SDN Classifieds under Houston Med Center Condo), but I will answer any questions about housing that anyone may have. Congratulations on your match, you will really enjoy Houston! By the way, my condo is 2.5 miles from TMC, and a little over one mile from the VA, so should be pretty conenient to you. I'm off to UAB for my Internal Medicine training.