1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Baylor Residency Director Ratings?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by weathertalk, Feb 21, 2007.

1. weathertalk

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Call me a USNews ***** if you will, but I pay pretty close attention to residency director ratings. I realize they're subjective and that they methodology is flawed (only a small fraction of the residency directors to whom US News sends surveys actually respond), but they're probably the most worthwhile data on the ranking page. At any rate, Baylor's Residency director rating is a 3.8, which is pretty low compared to its peers. In fact, it's one of the lowest in the top 25. Should this be a cause for concern?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic Avatar=One of the Greats
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think this is due to 2 reasons:

1. Baylor draws mostly TX residents and TX residents are more likely to stay in TX (as are IS residents at every school). So nation-wide, residency directors may have less experience with Baylor graduates.

2. Baylor has been rising in the rankings recently, it might be that residency director opinion doesn't change much over time (i.e. residency directors may not think Baylor is ranked as highly as it is now since they haven't had recent experience with Baylor graduates)

I doubt this is any real concern as Baylor graduates have one of the highest Step 1 average and have great clinical training at the TMC. Baylor also places many students in great residencies.

3. Rocket3004

Rocket3004 Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That may be true, but what about UT-Southwestern's residency director ranking?

4. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic Avatar=One of the Greats
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    maybe reason 2? I don't know how Baylor was reputation-wise versus UT-SW historically:confused:

5. OP
    OP
    weathertalk

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    bump

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Falco2525

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Baylor's a great school...I would not worry about it...I dont think their students have any trouble in residency placement

7. somemaybedoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    May I ask what SW's is? I haven't actually looked at the full US News thing yet.