Baylor Residency Director Ratings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weathertalk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Call me a USNews ***** if you will, but I pay pretty close attention to residency director ratings. I realize they're subjective and that they methodology is flawed (only a small fraction of the residency directors to whom US News sends surveys actually respond), but they're probably the most worthwhile data on the ranking page. At any rate, Baylor's Residency director rating is a 3.8, which is pretty low compared to its peers. In fact, it's one of the lowest in the top 25. Should this be a cause for concern?

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is due to 2 reasons:

1. Baylor draws mostly TX residents and TX residents are more likely to stay in TX (as are IS residents at every school). So nation-wide, residency directors may have less experience with Baylor graduates.

2. Baylor has been rising in the rankings recently, it might be that residency director opinion doesn't change much over time (i.e. residency directors may not think Baylor is ranked as highly as it is now since they haven't had recent experience with Baylor graduates)

I doubt this is any real concern as Baylor graduates have one of the highest Step 1 average and have great clinical training at the TMC. Baylor also places many students in great residencies.

I think this is due to 2 reasons:

1. Baylor draws mostly TX residents and TX residents are more likely to stay in TX (as are IS residents at every school). So nation-wide, residency directors may have less experience with Baylor graduates.

That may be true, but what about UT-Southwestern's residency director ranking?

Members don't see this ad :)
That may be true, but what about UT-Southwestern's residency director ranking?

maybe reason 2? I don't know how Baylor was reputation-wise versus UT-SW historically:confused:

Baylor's a great school...I would not worry about it...I dont think their students have any trouble in residency placement