• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

JLT91W

Pretty Pretty Pre-Med!!
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Georgia
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Just wondering if any of you have been part of the Baylor surgery internship. I think I am going to apply for next summer, but I wanted to know a little about it before I do.

MWK

Over-represented majority
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2006
Lexington KY
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I applied for this summer's cycle. Stil awaiting word...from what I hear, its supposed to be the primo summer clinical internship, especially for those interested in surgery.

Does anybody know the dates for it?

FuturePharm21

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
how selective is this program because it seems like they only take Texas residents?

About the Ads

Monocles

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2011
Boston, MA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
What do they have you do there? And can you apply the summer after your senior year (graduation)?

NeuroKidd

Feb 18, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I would suggest that y'all look up previous debakey program threads.

That being said, I participated in the summer of 2009 and it was absolutely one of the best summers of my life. I had an incredible experience and had the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of surgical procedures. It is definitely a hands-on program.

The age and degree seeking status of the participants in my year varied widely - there were rising sophomores in undergrad and there were masters students. I think you are good to apply at any stage of your pre-health career. If you're unsure, just call or email and ask - Katie Mushinski coordinates the program and is very nice.

We heard a lot of different numbers as far as how competitive the program is. Somewhere between 300-700ish people applied for the 24 spots in 2009. At the end of the summer they told us that they were likely going to be cutting back the number of participants due to some people being a little displeased with their hospital assignments. Maybe someone who has participated since then could comment on this?

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have about the experience. It was a freaking amazing summer and I would highly encourage anyone thinking about practicing medicine in any capacity (MD, DO, PA, nursing, etc.) to apply.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.