Baylor (Temple) vs Long UT San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ufdj

Reaction score
How should I rank? Long UT Health San Antonio vs. Baylor (BCM Temple)

Important to me (with #1 being most important):

1) Clinical experiences – Currently I am interested in a surgical specialty and would like a well rounded clinical experience in med school. Residency programs offered by affiliated hospitals are a plus. I really don’t know how to compare clinicals at Baylor Temple & Long San Antonio. BCM Houston would perhaps be best for clinical breadth & depth, but for family reasons it would be best for me to be in central TX. If I am accepted to BCM I plan to rank Temple first and Houston second. Which brings me to…

2) Location – Although San Antonio is closer to my support system, I like either place about equally not considering the distance. I am very close to my family and really like the idea of seeing them more often. If I were accepted to Baylor and ended up in Houston, I would be much farther from family and that wouldn’t be my preference. BUT, Houston does have such great TMC opportunities.

3) Curriculum – I like Baylor’s shorter 1 year preclinical curriculum and P/F grading.

4) Vibe – I know this is subjective & depends on the people I had a chance to meet at both schools, but I loved all the people I met at BCM. Long was nice too, but BCM really stood out to me.

So, how should I rank these two? BCM a little further away in Temple with the curriculum and vibe I liked, or Long in San Antonio closer to my support system? Which is the better clinical experience for a surgical track (or other competitive specialty if I choose)?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like every point you’ve made has been in favor of Baylor. You should choose that

Reactions: 2 users