Baylor/UTSW? rank questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
?

~~~~~~~~~~

hi gang,

Was wondering what you all, and especially Texans, think of Baylor and UTSW. Very little has been posted in the archives about Baylor, and I was curious what folks know about it? How is it ranked nationally? Same for UTSW, although it is clear from my interview there that the residents work hard (but seem happy with their training.).

Here is my top three schools (not necessarily in order):
U of Michigan
Baylor
UTSW

I live near to U of M, and know what a nice program they have, but I am a little tired of snow so that is still a consideration...

UTSW - works residents hard, but good experience.

Baylor - I had "heard" were malignant. I didn't find this to be true at my interview, and I liked them a lot.

Frankly, if I match at any of these places I will be quite happy but was curious what other's ideas of these places were. Baylor isn't mentioned in the archives which I found odd considering the high powered surgeries they do at the TMC.

So do folks have any comments? Knowledge of these schools national recognition. Locals only knowledge etc? Any suggestions/comments welcome.

thanks again,
-Kris

PS. user name screwed up cause my firewall is set to block my name and I can't seem to edit the user name, so just call me Kris or ~~~~~~~~~~ ;-)

PPS. good luck in the rank everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

i dunno anything about GAS, but i applaud you on your username. it is sheer genius.

UTSW has a very strong program.
Baylor is mediocre and has been on probation in the past. UT Houston is much better, if you want to live in the city.
Strong Surgery programs at times run all over the Anesthesiology programs. An example is Duke a few years back - program was on probation while the Surgery program was top notch.

Baylor is a great program, but certainly not the top. Yes it was on probation a few years ago, but has turned around and they just hired a new chair who seems good. If you go to Baylor, you won't regret it because you'll be extremely happy... they treat residents very well with nice hours. Clinical experience is top notch. Research is very weak, but the new chair is research oriented so things might change. Didactics are only so-so. Program director rocks.

I've heard that UTSW is a strong program, but have heard very mixed reviews. I heard that it was malignant on the one hand, but it also seems like most UTSW med students would love to stay there for anesthesia. So who knows.

About strong surgery programs, I've heard mixed things as well. Both Baylor and UTSW have very strong surgery programs and both are malignant for surgery. About strong surgery programs overrunning anesthesia though, I don't think that is possible nowadays, especially when anesthesiologists pretty much control the OR scheduling. But political clout does go a long way...