Quantcast

Baylor vs Emory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohit98

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys is it wise to rank Baylor above Emory. I like Houston as a city much better than Atlanta, but prestige wise is Emory above Baylor in Internal Medicine? How would you rank UAB among these three?

shindaigua

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In terms of reputation and training: UAB>Emory>=Baylor. UAB is an awesome place, great attendings, work hours<80/wk, excellent noon conferences relevant for your practice, residents are very smart, easy to get along with and friendly. PD very involved in the program and teaching. The 3 hospitals are very close together. UAB is particularly strong in cards, ID, rheum, GI. Birmingham is not bad at all, but Houston and Atlanta are better cities, depending on what you are seeking.

pintsized

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
mohit98 said:
Guys is it wise to rank Baylor above Emory. I like Houston as a city much better than Atlanta, but prestige wise is Emory above Baylor in Internal Medicine? How would you rank UAB among these three?

My gripe about Emory is that since they recruit 90 interns, even they admit that they get a mixed bunch. I dont care that much, but in terms of fellowship, would they wonder about the quality of Emory residents?

tum

don't call it a comeback
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
emory and baylor are virtually identical as far as prestige (both are top 25 according to us news, but on the low end). fellowships are about the same.

that being said, if you're into cards, while emory is definitely strong, inbreeding into texas heart is unbeatable. same goes for heme onc with md anderson. baylor is supposedly 'in transition' because of interim chair.

when programs are that close in terms of rep, other things have to come into play (ie. location location location). some people go by how responsive the pd is to residents. i really liked brady--very chill. hamill was nice too although i didn't feel the same connection as i did with brady.

mohit by the way when did you interview? i think we were there the same day.

tibor75

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
emory and baylor are virtually identical as far as prestige (both are top 25 according to us news, but on the low end). fellowships are about the same.

that being said, if you're into cards, while emory is definitely strong, inbreeding into texas heart is unbeatable. same goes for heme onc with md anderson. baylor is supposedly 'in transition' because of interim chair.

when programs are that close in terms of rep, other things have to come into play (ie. location location location). some people go by how responsive the pd is to residents. i really liked brady--very chill. hamill was nice too although i didn't feel the same connection as i did with brady.

mohit by the way when did you interview? i think we were there the same day.

Texas Heart is great if you're going into cath, the other subspecialities, not sure. It's not an academic program at all and it's surgically run, so Emory might be better for some.