Baylor vs Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chalazion12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of threads comparing the elite programs to death (Harvards, Dukes, UPenn, etc) but what about other great programs like Rush vs UIC vs Baylor-Houston? I am having a difficult time deciding which one to interview at and which to cancel.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at UIC and thought it was a great program. The residents seemed very happy and the PD was really charismatic and ran the morning report. I would definitely recommend checking it out.

I'm interviewing at Rush after Christmas so I can't say anything about it. I've heard that the interview day there isn't that impressive though even though the program is supposed to be excellent.

As for Baylor, I've been hearing bad things about the program from other people on the interview trail (people from Texas). The story I heard was that one of the major Baylor hospitals (I can't remember the name) split off and started its own residency programs. A lot of the Baylor faculty apparently chose to stay with this program over Baylor. I'm not really sure what the exact story is here. Does anyone else know?

Interview day at Rush was very mechanical, especially since there were about 50+ applicants there the day I went. Rush has major building projects that are not going to finish until 2011. No EPIC EMR yet. Will be a while I think.

Loyola I liked more. They have many renovations ongoing that will finish by next year. EPIC EMR in place.

PD's are both approachable at each program.

Members don't see this ad :)
DJ Lactulose is correct. Baylor lost Methodist-Houston (one of the best hospitals in America). Much of their acclaimed faculty left for Methodist. The program is rebuilding.

I just have to throw into the mix my perception as a student outside of both IL and TX. I guess these comments are based more on reputation than actual knowledge about details of these programs that might set them apart.

Baylor has a national reputation and many of my classmates have applied there. Rush and UIC do not have a national reputation and I do not know anyone who is applying there, even amongst people who are considering other programs in Chicago and the midwest.

I too have heard rumors about Methodist taking some of the better Baylor faculty when they broke off to form their own residency programs (affiliated with Cornell, of all places). People applying for surgical residencies specifically told me that the best faculty left for Methodist, whereas IM applicants I have met on the interview trail gave the more vague report that Baylor is "rebuilding." Regardless, at Baylor you end up training at amazing institutions like Texas Heart Institute and Ben Taub (the County hospital), with access to the rest of the Texas Medical Center. The Baylor name is recognized as a center of medical excellence, even if the program may be a bit in flux at the moment.

In short, I never would have considered this grouping of programs to be in the same league. I suppose if one were interested in specifically staying around Chicago, then Rush might be worth pursuing, but if having to decide between Baylor and Rush without that sort of geographic bias, I would not hesitate whatsoever to choose Baylor.

can anyone shed some light on whether they lost reputable GI/cards faculty? i know st. luke's is still part of baylor and that is where the THI is..so does that mean the faculty at THI are also faculty at baylor?

can anyone shed some light on whether they lost reputable GI/cards faculty? i know st. luke's is still part of baylor and that is where the THI is..so does that mean the faculty at THI are also faculty at baylor?

Some went with Methodist and some stayed. THI really is a stand alone entity with some faculty from Baylor, some private and the president of THI is also the president of UT Houston.

As someone who is very familiar with TX programs especially Houston programs I think Trekkie is mistaken. I agree with you that baylor's reputation WAS that of a solid institution but that was based on the fact that they were associated with one of the finest private hospitals in the nation. If you try to compare it to Rush which I believe is applicable due to the fact that Rush is still associated with one of the better private hospitals in the nation (refer to US News 2007 rankings) you will note baylor is not on any list while Rush is consistently ranked in all specialities. It is a question of the true facts of NOW not based on history. Essentially, baylor has one true teaching hospital Ben Taub. For one month of each year of residency you will go to St. Lukes (private hospital). Also, to say THI is strictly under Baylor is untrue. As noted the new President of THI is affliated with UT Houston. I would really take a long look at both programs because as far as oppurtunities for fellowship match I think both are equal.