Baylor vs UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puppyluvr52737

Reaction score
I have my TMDSAS rank list pretty set except I keep going back and forth on my top two. Baylor was my dream school going into this, but with them opening up the Temple campus, I’m starting to have second thoughts.

If I helps, I am highly considering a specialty that Baylor (Houston) has a great program for. McGovern has a smaller, newer version of this program.

Pro’s Baylor (specifically Houston campus):
-Dream school
-Matches people into fantastic residencies
-BCM Houston is located in the heart of the TMC
-Loved everyone I met there
-List could go on and on

Con’s Baylor:
-Honestly terrified of ending up in Temple. It’s brand new and no one seems to know anything about it. The campus match process is just not setting well with me.

Pro’s McGovern:
-Literally across the street from Baylor Houston
-Has access to all resources of the TMC
-Overall, seems like a great school
-Like it for similar reasons as Baylor

Con’s McGovern:
-Less impressive match list
-Older curriculum (from what I hear)
-Might not get as many opportunities as Baylor Houston students
-Does not carry the “Baylor name”

Yeah I’m honestly torn. If anyone has any advice they can offer, I’d love to hear it!

Members don't see this ad.

If anything, just from reading the post you sound much more excited about Baylor than McGovern. Baylor is also Pass Fail while McGovern is not.

Likelihood of you matching to temple with all things equal, is 16% by my math. Probably less if you don’t have direct primary care interest highlighted in your app. I’m honestly thinking that the risk factor for matching to temple is way overblown.

The worries I have about Baylor right now are more focused on the brand new curriculum.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to add that the Temple campus isn't exactly brand new- it used to be a Texas A&M regional campus and was recently taken over by Baylor. The facilities are already there and renovations are also being done.

If going to Temple is terrifying and an absolute deal-breaker, maybe you should rank McGovern #1. I would first visit Temple and go on the school tour if you can because you may be surprised at how much you like it.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to add that the Temple campus isn't exactly brand new- it used to be a Texas A&M regional campus and was recently taken over by Baylor. The facilities are already there and renovations are also being done.

If going to Temple is terrifying and an absolute deal-breaker, maybe you should rank McGovern #1. I would first visit Temple and go on the school tour if you can because you may be surprised at how much you like it.
Yeah, I just meant "brand new" to Baylor. I was only able to tour Baylor Houston and when I would ask questions about Temple, no one seemed to know anything about it which was a little scary to me. Due to my financial/living situation, I'm not able to tour Temple, unfortunately. Glad to hear that you had a positive experience though!

Reactions: 1 users