Baylor vs UT Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs2006

student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope all is going well for you during the holiday season. I was wondering if anyone else in this forum interviewed at Baylor and UT Houston and has some insight about these programs-- I did not know what to make of Baylor as I found the residents in the program rather strange. On the other hand, I felt the UT Houston residents were nice and down to earth and I thought the program's teaching hospitals were better than Baylor's-- Anyone have any thoughts about these programs, as I am completely baffled by them. Thanks, happy holidays, happy new year and happy interviewing!! Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

I did two months of med rotations there. I think Baylor is a bit overrated. They're also going through MAJOR changes this year especially in the IM department after loosing Methodist and a good number of attendings. Ok, so its in the TMC. BFD. I assume you speak fluent spanish to be highly ranking these programs. Don't know much about UT, but (as Leonardo said.).I "concur" with your opinion on the Baylor residents. Not impressed. However, the students were very nice and sharp. I think thats why most of them leave!! :D IMHO

Since I'll be interviewing at UT Houston and Baylor next month, can either of you guys elaborate on this notion of residents at Baylor being "strange?" Any strangeness going on at UTSW?

Members don't see this ad :)
Both programs have nice facilities and you will be well trained at both. Both are on the malignant side in terms of work hours and patient load.

I think in a program as large as baylor you can't just say the residents are "strange". There will be some you like and some you don't.

But lets face it...if you are interested in doing a fellowship, the baylor name goes a lot farther than UT houston. You will have to fight tooth and nail to get a competitive fellowship coming out of UT houston.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of your learning as a resident comes from your peers and the residents in the classes above you. Baylor probably has a higher caliber of resident on average.

UT-Houston internal medicine residents have great clinical training rotating through university hospital (Hermann), county (LBJ), and MD Anderson. I don't know any details about the caliber of either residents, but saying that Baylor residents are 'of higher caliber' than UT-H residents is pretty arbitrary.
Fact is, there is no objective way of ranking residency programs or the 'caliber' of residents at a program. Go on your interviews and go with your first hand impressions of the hospitals/faculty/residents, and your 'gut feeling' about where you belong.

Hi all,

Would be grateful if anyone could highlight more SPECIFICS about Baylor/UT Houston which they liked/disliked!! Thanks and Happy New Year!!

I think it is pretty safe to say that Baylor and UT-Houston are in different leagues and not at all arbitrary. However, UT Houston probably has more experienced residents in that many of them were FMGs. The match list at UT-houston was not particularly strong (mostly all nephro, few/no cards GI). Out of the 20 of us there 16 were international applicants. Also, alarmingly the program seems to be starving for money compared to others. "parking is no big deal" :laugh: :laugh: Ha yeah right. I would like to park close. "it would be too expensive to feed the entire department lunch" all the other programs do it. All the while, they were busy telling us how much money the department makes. The interview days has exposure to very few residents (saw 3 residents all day). Admittedly, those 3 residents were very happy and friendly.

Baylor was a very difficult read because of the methodist situation. I am sure they get good training but the progam is in too much flux for me with the hospital changes and the PD leaving. The dust is still settling and it's tough to say what will happen. And of course, no one will tell you it's a bad thing about the hospital and you don't want to ask too many questions in detail about the faculty leaving.

I haven't interviewed at UT Houston yet but something interesting about Baylor residents. One of the residents on our tour frankly said that the work hours are rarely applicable. He said that during the ICU rotation, he easily worked more than 100 hours a week. There is a reason some programs are considered "malignant".