Baylor vs UTHealth (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ssstarzzz

Reaction score
Hey guys! I was hoping for some guidance on making a difficult decision.

I have been planning to go to McGovern Medical School, but I had just been accepted into Baylor College of Medicine and I have 10 days to decide where to go. I loved both schools, but here is my main considerations:
-Baylor is ranked higher than McGovern, but I am slightly below Baylor's caliber, so I am not sure if I would perform poorly at Baylor (I have 3.95 GPA and a 513 MCAT, while their MCAT average is ~518).
-I am in the MD/MPH program at McGovern and I am already registered for online summer classes for the MPH program. I am not sure if I will be penalized for unenrolling.
-I liked both schools equally, but Baylor is twice the cost as McGovern. However, I can still afford Baylor with some loans.

I am hoping someone would have an input in which factors are more important in considering how I should make this school selection.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Baylor. Twice the cost in this case is still cheap. I think Baylor is the cheapest non tuition free school in the country.

BTW - you're not slightly below Baylor's caliber. Your MCAT doesn't define you as a medical student. You were accepted to Baylor, congrats.

You should still be able to withdraw from the MPH as school hasn't started yet.

Reactions: 6 users
What's the absolute cost difference here when you say twice the price? Baylor is a superb school.

If you got into Baylor, you are Baylor caliber. Congrats.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor. Hot take but idk why mcgovern is so high on every Texan's list, I had them ranked below almost every other mid tier in TX so I'm hoping this will be an easy decision for op. You will do fine at Baylor, good luck and congrats getting in there is a big deal!

Reactions: 1 users
I was in that situation too and unless I'm really mistaken, the tuition+fees+insurance at McGovern is 24K vs 28K for the same at Baylor as a state resident. OOS tuition at Baylor is ~33K, but IS tuition is ~20K, so I don't think you'd be paying twice as much for Baylor unless you got scholarship at UTH

I was in that situation too and unless I'm really mistaken, the tuition+fees+insurance at McGovern is 24K vs 28K for the same at Baylor as a state resident. OOS tuition at Baylor is ~33K, but IS tuition is ~20K, so I don't think you'd be paying twice as much for Baylor unless you got scholarship at UTH
What did you end up choosing? And I am an instate resident, I could be wrong about prices but that's what I found for residents on the website?

What did you end up choosing? And I am an instate resident, I could be wrong about prices but that's what I found for residents on the website?

That's the page for academic year 2020-2021 tuition/fees for the school of medicine at BCM. The UTH tuition I got from the welcome packet they sent out.

I ended up choosing Baylor because I just loved everything about the school on interview day (except for the interview day itself which is probably the worst of all the TX schools lmao). I liked how down to earth all the students were, how supportive the faculty seemed, the tremendous resources they have for research, and their overall curriculum. McGovern only has P/F during the first semester while Baylor has true P/F throughout preclinicals, so if you're worried about your academics (don't be!) there's that bit of reassurance.

It's a hard decision because I loved the community at McGovern too and the current accepted students were pretty awesome and friendly as well. They are both in the TMC, they both have amazing hospitals you can rotate at, they both share a lot of resources. I think Baylor does have more national recognition, so this may be a factor when it comes time to match. No matter where you choose though, both places will train you clinically and academically to be an awesome doctor. Congrats! and good luck on your decision!