Baylor vs. UTSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bigtuna said:
"I have to agree with bigtuna that, albeit UT-Houston is probably the second best medical school in the state (along with Baylor, with UTSW being number 1"

:) I just can't let this one slide. Pili - honestly, are you a student at UTH? I don't think that there is anyone else in the world who believes this.
Well, just wait and see...UTH is rising, is already biting Baylor in the ass, and although we at UTSW are a bit higher up, we should not get too confident...
Perhaps you are not very familiar with the TMC...Anyway just wait and see...During my interviews in the TMC I could not freaking felieve how much the place is still growing... :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

After reading this thread, one thing is apparent to me....Texans sure know how to squabble... :smuggrin:

I'm not sure anyone at UTH thinks this. In fact, during my interview I heard from my interviewees about Baylor several times and they seem to have a complex about it. Why UTH isnt better with the money and facilities they have is really beyond me.

Members don't see this ad :)
The chair of IM told me that they were still suffering financially from the flood. He also addressed The Methodist situation and said they wanted UT Houston residents there. However, he said it would not happen unless they got faculty appointments etc. Another words he saw no particular advantage to going over there just to add another hospital (the current UT facilities are plenty). Baylor didn't seem particularily concerned about not having the Methodist as a teaching institution either. Baylor seemed like is a top institution. UTSW had a quiet confidence about their program being the best in the country period. I was suprised how down to earth the residents were. Bottom line there are four or five Texas programs (including Baylor-Dallas and UTSA) that I would love to train at. Of course I have a rank order list as well, but I think any of these programs are great (although some better than others, but all good). I think alot of it depends on the resident. If you maintain a solid work ethic, you'll go far. As for the applicant pool I believe it is much improved at UT Houston, and continues to be strong at UTSW, Baylor houston and dallas. I also think UTSA is a hidden gem.

Am I dreaming or was there not a long, informative post on this yesterday from someone with username txresident? What happened to it? And if txresident is around, do you happen to know where those 13 baylor residents matched for cards? The website only gives the last 6 years grouped together so if you have more specific info for the last 2 years that would be excellent. Thanks.

We are very fortunate to have some very good programs in Texas. I really think that if you went to any program (with one or two exceptions) in Texas you would get great/equal training as UTSW or Baylor. Having said that I will add my two cents to the UTSW vs. Baylor argument. Overall I think Baylor has the slight edge. Every program goes through cycles, and I think UTSW peaked 4-5 years ago. Fitz has some VERY big shoes to fill- I don't think anyone can match the sort of reputation Foster had amongst IM residency PDs. When I interviewed at Baylor last year, I was VERY impressed with their PD and their program- they get good, balanced (public/private) training. Also I think the overall quality of the residents/applicant pool to UTSW has probably gone down. It will be interesting to see what happens with UTSW and its recent mergers (St. Paul etc.) Just my .02. Crypt

I have no clue as to why you think the quality of applicants has gone down at UTSW. It has been as competitive for the last three years as any period in the history of the program.

Dr. Foster and I have had conversations about the direction of the program and he wholeheartedly supported his successor and the direction of the program.