Baylor. What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newquagmire

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got an email from Baylor today with interview invite for Dec 5. I deferred an interview at NYU until 12-5. I email Baylor to tell them this. They tell me that all of their remaining interview dates are completely filled, and there's little hope for another date.

Should I reschedule the NYU interview AGAIN or not interview with Baylor at all?? Are those my only options?

**Edit**
I forgot to mention that NYU said their January dates aren't open for scheduling yet.

Members don't see this ad.

hmm good question...

i suppose teh best thing to do is explain the exact situation to NYU and see what they say...it's not your fault...but be timely and considerate about it and maybe NYU will work it out with you...

good luck!

I would tell Baylor to stuff it. Yeah, ok, I'm saying this because I'm already in, but I can't believe they won't be flexible with you in this. Note also that they will likely not accept you after this first interview, and instead bring you back for a second interview. If they do accept you after the first interview you will have to "pretend" you aren't accepted, don a suit, and not tell anyone you've been accepted when you revisit. IMNSHO they really need to fix their admissions process down there.

Sorry about the rant, it's your call on this one. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I second Neuronix. If I knew how ridiculous and drawn-out Baylor's admissions process was, I would not have applied there.

ha ha ha almost makes me happy I didn't get an interview at Baylor...well it still hurts a little. Honestly I'd try to see if NYU can be flexible. Also what school would you rather go to? I think that should play a part in your decision.

I can also vouch for the length/annoying-osity of Baylor's process. The thing that gets me is that their candidate review isn't even until late March. But I don't want to complain too much. Right now, I'm holding on to any rays of hope that I have, and they are still definitely one for me.
On a side note, I was there at the same time as GLCNAC.

Originally posted by jjmack
what school would you rather go to?

The correct answer is: whichever one will take me =D

A little discouraged since I'm getting fewer interviews than I expected (so far). In fact, I got my Cornell reject today =)

I haven't interviewed anywhere yet, and thus have zero acceptances. Just trying to keep my options open.

I just can't believe Baylor can't make one little space for me with so much advance warning. Doesn't sound like they want me much if I'm the last person they invited for an interview anyway...

Originally posted by Bad Mojo
The thing that gets me is that their candidate review isn't even until late March.

That's right. Then they'll demand a matriculation decision by April 15th. I asked for an extension and they gave me until May 1st, at that time they said they would not grant me any more time (e.g. until May 15th like they should).

Did you get an email specifically from the Baylor MSTP or just from the MD program? I also got a Baylor invite yesterday, but it didn't specify MD or MSTP. I emailed them and they said that I should hear from the MSTP soon, but they didn't say if I was rejected or being invited for an interview with the MSTP.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Originally posted by Turgenev13
Did you get an email specifically from the Baylor MSTP or just from the MD program? I also got a Baylor invite yesterday, but it didn't specify MD or MSTP. I emailed them and they said that I should hear from the MSTP soon, but they didn't say if I was rejected or being invited for an interview with the MSTP.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Turgenev, now that you mention it, you're right it's a little vague. Since I only applied to MSTPs, I didn't really stop to think about whether it was MD or not. If you read the Word doc though, it says something about reschedulers' emails should state that they are an MD/PhD applicant.

For me, it may not end up mattering at all, but you may want to email the MSTP office and that generic "melodym@bcm" address if you haven't already done so...

Originally posted by GlcNac
I second Neuronix. If I knew how ridiculous and drawn-out Baylor's admissions process was, I would not have applied there.

You've got mad crazy interviews at *the* big names in the game. I'm not sure that you really *need* Baylor...

Congrats btw =)

Turgenev and Newquagmire -- I just checked my old email and I also got that vague email from Baylor first. But 5 days later, a second email came specifically from the MSTP office with information about student hosts, etc. I think the MD and MD/PhD offices may not act in a completely coordinated fashion at Baylor, so there may be some lag time between emails from the two offices. This holds true for the admissions decisions too: the medical school offers acceptances on a rolling basis, but you have to wait until after the candidate review to hear from the MD/PhD program.

Regarding Baylor's candidate review weekend -- it's an understandable move from their perspective, since they can offer admission to those candidates who are most likely to attend (and thus increase their yield). But I think making applicants wait ~6 months for a decision (and endure 2 interview sessions) is needlessly anxiety-provoking. Nonetheless, I had a pretty positive impression of the program from interviewing there and think it may be worth it if you can endure the wait!

And here i thought the only reason i didnt apply to Baylor was because it's located in Houston... IMO, The two interview ordeal is just overkill and unneccesary. I declined Pitt for the same reason.

I would definitely be in favor of a MSTP "Match" System so schools wont have to pull these tricks to increase their yield. Any thoughts?

I've actually wondered for some time why MD/PhD programs don't have a match system. It seems like it would work out pretty well, especially given the small applicant pool.

Ah, wait until the time comes when they start wining you and dining you at second looks... You won't wish a match system then... :D

Originally posted by Newquagmire

I just can't believe Baylor can't make one little space for me with so much advance warning. Doesn't sound like they want me much if I'm the last person they invited for an interview anyway...

Newquagmire according to their website http://public.bcm.tmc.edu/mstp/interview.html

Dec 5th is just their 3rd interview date. They have 3 more interview days in January and February. So maybe the person you spoke to simply meant there are no more interview spots before the break. Try calling to find out.
If this is true then it also means you are not the last to have been invited so have confidence.

All the best and congratulations on your interview offers.

Originally posted by adesua
Newquagmire according to their website http://public.bcm.tmc.edu/mstp/interview.html

Dec 5th is just their 3rd interview date. They have 3 more interview days in January and February. So maybe the person you spoke to simply meant there are no more interview spots before the break. Try calling to find out.
If this is true then it also means you are not the last to have been invited so have confidence.

All the best and congratulations on your interview offers.

Thanks for the help. This problem has since been resolved.

But no, that's not what they meant. What they meant was that all their MSTP interview spots were literally booked solid through the end of the review period.